Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clive Of North America

Dear All,

By way of a change of the usual 'What If Hitler Did.......?' type questions (which, BTW he didn't / couldn't / wouldn't have and if he did it would have done him no long term good), lets go back a bit further to 1774.

In that year, Robert Clive, better known perhaps as Clive Of India, was offered the command of British forces in North America, doubtless after his showing on the sub-continent leading the East India Company. He did not accept the post and shortly after he died (committed suicide?) and so the wheels of history turned and after rising up the colonists eventually chucked the British out & started along the path to becoming the USA we know today.

I wonder though, given Clive's track record and acomplishments in India, could he have made a difference to the struggle, possibly even defeat the original colonial uprising? Would his experience and achievements in India have been transferable to America? I would be interested in your views, especially of those of you who know so much about the Revolutionary War than I do (which in truth 'aint much!)

Over to you........
    HONNEUR ET FIDÉLITÉ

"Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won." - Duke of Wellington at Waterloo.

There wouldn't have been a great deal of difference. Settler dissidence was a result of the removal of the threat of French and Indian attack. The next biggest complaint was the reserving of the top jobs to non-settlers. Among the settler elite was the belief they would never achieve equality with the home nation vis-a-vis administrative positions.

While Clive might have more ably pursued the military solutions, he couldn't solve the civil problems facing North American colonial society.

Comment

Originally posted by broderickwells View Post
      There wouldn't have been a great deal of difference. Settler dissidence was a result of the removal of the threat of French and Indian attack. The next biggest complaint was the reserving of the top jobs to non-settlers. Among the settler elite was the belief they would never achieve equality with the home nation vis-a-vis administrative positions.

While Clive might have more ably pursued the military solutions, he couldn't solve the civil problems facing North American colonial society.
      Without a doubt you are right, eventual independence was a certainty, I just wondered if Clive could have delayed it by military means until, sooner or later, a political / diplomatic solution could have been grudgingly (from a British point of view) arrived at.
      HONNEUR ET FIDÉLITÉ

"Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won." - Duke of Wellington at Waterloo.

Comment

Warfare in India and North Amerca would be fundamentally different. We can't be sure he could adjust to the clinate or cope any better than those who did in real life.
        First Counsul Maleketh of Jonov

Comment

Originally posted by Delenda estRoma View Post
          Warfare in India and North Amerca would be fundamentally different. We can't be sure he could adjust to the clinate or cope any better than those who did in real life.
          True, but he had the ability to (ugh, I hate this phrase!) to think outside of the box, not to be hidebound by accepted wisdom and to expect the unexpected, which is what the British got from the settlers.
          HONNEUR ET FIDÉLITÉ

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X