Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scott Fraser View Post
    According to whom?
    I was talking out of my ass here. In 1938, Mexico's oil production was comparable to Romania's.

Increased proportionately... from what to what? How much oil was actually delivered?
    According to broderick's figures, 490,675 tons in 1939. So clearly my assumption that millions of tons of Mexican oil reached Germany in 1939 was bogus.

And will you attempt to slaughter us with data the way you usually do? Start with:

How many tankers were in the Mexican fleet?

How many tankers were in Germany's fleet?

How many tankers did the Spaniards and Italians have that could be seconded to delivering oil to Germany?
    I don't have such data.

How much oil was actually shipped?
    About half a million tons, apparently. Clearly, Mexico wasn't nearly as important a supplier as I thought.

Regards,

KDF
    Last edited by KDF33; 14 Nov 13, 11:27.

Comment

Originally posted by KDF33 View Post
      Hello broderick,

Are the % figures for total oil supplies or just for imports?

So, up until the DoW the U.S. was Germany's main foreign supplier?

Regards,

KDF
      The % figures are for the oil imported. Germany had both domestic production (synthetic and natural) and foreign suppliers. The key supplier was Romania, because it was the closest, but other players were useful. Going on memory, Germany required ~44million tons (or barrels, can't remember which) p.a. as a minimum.

Yes - the US was also a major exporter of petroleum - the Seven Sisters played fast and loose with what they considered "just a commodity".

Comment

Originally posted by KDF33 View Post
        In 1938, Mexico's oil production was comparable to Romania's.
        Here is a feast for someone who likes tables. The League of Nations Yearbook ranks Mexico as seventh in terms of oil production. Exports are not indicated.

... Clearly, Mexico wasn't nearly as important a supplier as I thought.
        No, the Mexicans did a pretty good job of shooting themselves in the foot. Apart from the Davis Oil Company (cf R.W.Davis), no one would do business with them. Davis was successful in routing some Mexican oil through Italy and Spain until 1940, when Washington clamped down and choked off exports to those nations. In 1940, that shortfall was made up by imports from the USSR and in 1941, after Romania had been pushed into the Axis camp, from there.

It is also worth noting that SOCONY-Vacuum and Texaco defied the US embargo until 1940, shipping oil from Venezuela and Colombia, but Germany was no longer able to obtain North/South American oil in significant quantities.

Regards
        Scott Fraser
        Ignorance is not the lack of knowledge. It is the refusal to learn.

A contentedly cantankerous old fart

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Fraser View Post
          Here is a feast for someone who likes tables. The League of Nations Yearbook ranks Mexico as seventh in terms of oil production. Exports are not indicated.
          Thanks for the link, Scott. It's pretty useful.

No, the Mexicans did a pretty good job of shooting themselves in the foot. Apart from the Davis Oil Company (cf R.W.Davis), no one would do business with them. Davis was successful in routing some Mexican oil through Italy and Spain until 1940, when Washington clamped down and choked off exports to those nations. In 1940, that shortfall was made up by imports from the USSR and in 1941, after Romania had been pushed into the Axis camp, from there.

It is also worth noting that SOCONY-Vacuum and Texaco defied the US embargo until 1940, shipping oil from Venezuela and Colombia, but Germany was no longer able to obtain North/South American oil in significant quantities.
          Well, according to broderick's data, Venezuela and the other South American oil exporters accounted for a significant fraction of Germany's oil imports in 1939.

Regards,

KDF

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X