Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

September 7, 1939: A date that will live in infamy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• September 7, 1939: A date that will live in infamy!

On September 7, 1939, the United States of America wakes up to discover that the Third Reich has declared war upon it. America is now a participant in the Second World War. Assume that all participants have the same force levels, equipment and deployments which they had historically at that moment. How goes the war from here?

Disclosure: I posted this thread years before on another forum. I candidly admit to ripping myself off (with a minor edit).

Motivation for the dec-o'-war, please?
    Hyperwar: World War II on the World Wide Web
    Hyperwar, Whats New
    World War II Resources
    The best place in the world to "work".

Comment

Originally posted by OpanaPointer View Post
      Motivation for the dec-o'-war, please?
      Is it mandatory? I don't want to violate any forum rules.

Hmm. I hadn't really given the reason for the POD much thought, to be honest. Perhaps an escalation over the incident with the SS Athenia, with the Germans over-reacting to the American diplomatic protest? I know historically, the Germans weren't anxious to rush into war with the United States at this particular moment. Absent a prolonged period of tensions slowly building to war, I think there would have to be a major mass-casualty incident at sea to precipitate hostilities. so quickly. The most likely scenario, admittedly, would be the Americans declaring war upon Germany for an attack on a US cruise ship which caused massive loss of life. Perhaps, I should have given the POD more thought.

Comment

Originally posted by ossian View Post
        Is it mandatory? I don't want to violate any forum rules.

Hmm. I hadn't really given the reason for the POD much thought, to be honest. Perhaps an escalation over the incident with the SS Athenia, with the Germans over-reacting to the American diplomatic protest? I know historically, the Germans weren't anxious to rush into war with the United States at this particular moment. Absent a prolonged period of tensions slowly building to war, I think there would have to be a major mass-casualty incident at sea to precipitate hostilities. so quickly. The most likely scenario, admittedly, would be the Americans declaring war upon Germany for an attack on a US cruise ship which caused massive loss of life. Perhaps, I should have given the POD more thought.
        Just trying to get a grasp of the scenario, not nit-picking. I usually stay out of Alt. but this one caught my eye.
        Hyperwar, Whats New
        World War II Resources

Comment

On September 7, 1939, the United States of America wakes up to discover that the Third Reich has declared war upon it. America is now a participant in the Second World War. Assume that all participants have the same force levels, equipment and deployments which they had historically at that moment. How goes the war from here?

Disclosure: I posted this thread years before on another forum. I candidly admit to ripping myself off (with a minor edit).
          September 9th, Hitler assassinated in a bloody coup d'etat.

September 11th, Hermann Goering becomes Chancellor

September 12th, Gestapo agents arrest surviving SS leadership and the organisation is disbanded. Reinhard Heydrich flees to Hungary

September 13th, German troops start to withdraw from Poland.

September 16th, war ends much to Stalin's immense frustration.
          Signing out.

Comment

You think Stalin would have not moved on Poland regardless?
            Hyperwar, Whats New
            World War II Resources

Comment

Originally posted by Full Monty View Post
              September 9th, Hitler assassinated in a bloody coup d'etat.

September 11th, Hermann Goering becomes Chancellor

September 12th, Gestapo agents arrest surviving SS leadership and the organisation is disbanded. Reinhard Heydrich flees to Hungary

September 13th, German troops start to withdraw from Poland.

September 16th, war ends much to Stalin's immense frustration.
              There won't be much entertainment for us if the war ends so quickly!

Comment

No, too many imponderables, at least in September 1939. If Germany descends into chaos, which is quite possible, he might but more likely he'd try to subvert either nation, or even both!
                Signing out.

Comment

There won't be much entertainment for us if the war ends so quickly!
                  Well, I had Heydrich flee for a reason.
                  Signing out.

Comment

You'd need a major incident with minimum resources. Say a US merchant ship blew up in a German harbor and the cargo gassed half the city. Early reports were that it was phosgene or mustard gas.
                    Hyperwar, Whats New
                    World War II Resources

Comment

Originally posted by Full Monty View Post
                      No, too many imponderables, at least in September 1939. If Germany descends into chaos, which is quite possible, he might but more likely he'd try to subvert either nation, or even both!
                      I'd lean toward "kick 'em while they (Poland) are down" myself. Stalin might have wanted to capitalize on the confusion. He couldn't be sure the next Chancellor wouldn't be worse than Hitler.
                      Hyperwar, Whats New
                      World War II Resources

Comment

If Stalin's de facto ally collapsed so rapidly prior to Soviet intervention in Poland, I think he might well change his mind. He really wasn't that much of a gambler in foreign policy. However, I do have my doubts regarding such complete upheaval in Germany. It seems unlikely to me.

Comment

You'd need a major incident with minimum resources. Say a US merchant ship blew up in a German harbor and the cargo gassed half the city. Early reports were that it was phosgene or mustard gas.
                          Possibly. That could work. I lean more to an incident in which a US warship sinks a German vessel. Perhaps an overeager destroyer skipper mistakes a German liner for some sort of combat vessel and torpedos her just to be on the safe side.

Comment

I'd lean toward "kick 'em while they (Poland) are down" myself. Stalin might have wanted to capitalize on the confusion. He couldn't be sure the next Chancellor wouldn't be worse than Hitler.
                            Well, I don't think he wanted all of Poland. He was confident that the territories east of the Curzon Line could be taken without intervention from The West but all of Poland would be a bit of a mouthful, especially with the Baltic States still independent and East Prussia sitting there.
                            Signing out.

Comment

Possibly. That could work. I lean more to an incident in which a US warship sinks a German vessel. Perhaps an overeager destroyer skipper mistakes a German liner for some sort of combat vessel and torpedos her just to be on the safe side.
                              The freighter scenario allows for a "close to home" disaster that could be construed as an act of war against German civilians. The theater there would be historic. Dead German Frauen, kinder, und hunds on the newsreels.
                              Hyperwar, Whats New
                              World War II Resources

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X