Appeasement Continued

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Philip F View Post
    No unlike them who all opposed intervention.
    What makes you so sure when you post
    Im sure many here ........
    ?
    Signing out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Full Monty View Post
      What makes you so sure when you post ?
      Ohh I did not know Disraeli and Gladstone were posting here.

Comment

Ohh I did not know Disraeli and Gladstone were posting here.
        You brought Disraeli up ..........
        Signing out.

Comment

How could the USA stop German access to Mexican oil?
          It was not possible.
          Exports to all Axis powers were increasing right up to the outbreak of war.
          Both right and wrong. Germany tended to purchase oil through brokers from two main companies (Texaco and Standard Oil - Exxon/Esso - if memory serves). Direct purchases off Mexico were only initiated by through Davis Oil when a Junkers aircraft deal was being negotiated. The problem for Germany was that it was embargoed after some dodgy behaviour in Europe. Italy operated slightly differently, and purchased directly off Mexico, and also through Standard Oil and Dutch Shell. Mexico supplied about 10% of Italy's petroleum needs imports in 1939. Here's some figures:

Year Italian imports of Mexican Oil (barrels)
          1937 187,240
          1938 259,107
          1939 3,315,107
          1940 3,212,820 (first six months)

Regarding Japan, I cannot find any petroleum only figures. However here are the Mexican-Japanese terms of trade 1938-1941. Mexican minerals besides petroleum are significant contributors. Another signifiacnt contributor was fish.

Year Imports ex-J Exports to-J(pesos)
          1938 8,770,669 3,590,576
          1939 7,268,499 9,393,887
          1940 17,512,204 24,043,248
          1941 25,372,217 21,247,224

Comment

These were not continental clashes.
            Really? So the Greek War of Independence was not fought on the continent, the Crimean War likewise, nor was Russia going to be confronted in SE Europe? Pardon my ignorance, but is not 40% of Europe called Russia?

Comment

• Originally posted by Anacreon View Post
              He's running into an old problem: move the goalposts too much and you soon forget where they are...
              You can even forget the nature of the game - what version of football was it?

Comment

• Originally posted by broderickwells View Post
                Both right and wrong. Germany tended to purchase oil through brokers from two main companies (Texaco and Standard Oil - Exxon/Esso - if memory serves). Direct purchases off Mexico were only initiated by through Davis Oil when a Junkers aircraft deal was being negotiated. The problem for Germany was that it was embargoed after some dodgy behaviour in Europe. Italy operated slightly differently, and purchased directly off Mexico, and also through Standard Oil and Dutch Shell. Mexico supplied about 10% of Italy's petroleum needs imports in 1939. Here's some figures:

Year Italian imports of Mexican Oil (barrels)
                1937 187,240
                1938 259,107
                1939 3,315,107
                1940 3,212,820 (first six months)

Regarding Japan, I cannot find any petroleum only figures. However here are the Mexican-Japanese terms of trade 1938-1941. Mexican minerals besides petroleum are significant contributors. Another signifiacnt contributor was fish.

Year Imports ex-J Exports to-J(pesos)
                1938 8,770,669 3,590,576
                1939 7,268,499 9,393,887
                1940 17,512,204 24,043,248
                1941 25,372,217 21,247,224
                Some interesting and informative data but can you find imports per nation for Germany in 1939?
                I have only managed a few nations so far.

Comment

• Originally posted by broderickwells View Post
                  Really? So the Greek War of Independence was not fought on the continent, the Crimean War likewise, nor was Russia going to be confronted in SE Europe? Pardon my ignorance, but is not 40% of Europe called Russia?
                  I think you know what I mean.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X