Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decca Sign The Beatles

Dear All,

By way of a change from the usual military themed 'What ifs', consider this:

New years eve 1961. The Beatles get to the Decca records studio on time to carry out their audition and instead of coming out with that silly and misguided comment about guitar groups being on the way out, the record execs sign them up.

So, no EMI, no George Martin, no Love Me Do (probably)...... so to the question.

What sort of band do you think The Beatles would have been, left to the tender mercies of Decca's producers? Would their talent have shone through anyway or would Lennon have gotten fed up and walked? Would the others have muddled through, would Ringo Starr have been signed (probably not)?

I wonder what the world would have been like without Beatle Mania? Without them preparing the ground in America would other bands (most notably The Rolling Stones) have cracked the U.S. market?

Over to you.....
    HONNEUR ET FIDÉLITÉ

"Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won." - Duke of Wellington at Waterloo.

I'm thinking ...

... without the Beatles in the UK, Germany etc., then sweeping the US, George Formby hits it big, ukuleles & banjos go electric and instead of "Love Me Do", "Happy Go Lucky Me" sweeps the charts!

I don't mind in the least, but this is Armchair General after all, not Armchair Music Industry Executive.

Originally posted by Dogsbody67 View Post
    Dear All,

By way of a change from the usual military themed 'What ifs', consider this:

New years eve 1961. The Beatles get to the Decca records studio on time to carry out their audition and instead of coming out with that silly and misguided comment about guitar groups being on the way out, the record execs sign them up.

So, no EMI, no George Martin, no Love Me Do (probably)...... so to the question.

What sort of band do you think The Beatles would have been, left to the tender mercies of Decca's producers? Would their talent have shone through anyway or would Lennon have gotten fed up and walked? Would the others have muddled through, would Ringo Starr have been signed (probably not)?

I wonder what the world would have been like without Beatle Mania? Without them preparing the ground in America would other bands (most notably The Rolling Stones) have cracked the U.S. market?

Over to you.....
    "I am Groot"
    - Groot

Comment

Originally posted by Marmat View Post
      ... without the Beatles in the UK, Germany etc., then sweeping the US, George Formby hits it big, ukuleles & banjos go electric and instead of "Love Me Do", "Happy Go Lucky Me" sweeps the charts!

I don't mind in the least, but this is Armchair General after all, not Armchair Music Industry Executive.
      What a thought - Purple Haze by George Formby.

As for the rest - even service personnel (yes, even armchair ones) need a little R&R every so often. Gotta stay frosty, eh?
      HONNEUR ET FIDÉLITÉ

"Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won." - Duke of Wellington at Waterloo.

Comment

As for the rest - even service personnel (yes, even armchair ones) need a little R&R every so often. Gotta stay frosty, eh?
        There's a fabulous episode of 'Quantum Leap' where Sam(?) jumps into the body of Elvis and blows the audition for Sun. When the resulting timeline is checked it's The Monkees who record 'Hound Dog'!

As for The Beatles and Decca, I don't think much would change in the long run. They had everything it took to become pop stars as well as the musical ambition to become a driving force in developing 'Rock' in its broadest sense. George Martin may have been 'The Fifth Beatle' but the band was a resolute four piece.
        Signing out.

Comment

'Purple Haze was in my brain,
          Mr Woo, it don't seem the same!
          Cleaning windows and I don't now why
          My ukulele can kiss the sky'
          Signing out.

Comment

The Beatles fail and in the early 1980's Bucks Fizz rules the earth.

Comment

Originally posted by Roddoss72 View Post
              Nooooooo!

Comment

Originally posted by broderickwells
                Nooooooo!
                But maybe ........

YEEESSSSSS!
                Signing out.

Comment

Does this mean Operation Sealion is now possible?

Comment

Originally posted by copenhagen View Post
                    No, 'Making Your Mind Up' won Eurovision. All Queen Cheryl would have to do is show a bit of leg and her rampant sexuality would instantaneously disarm any potential invader!
                    Signing out.

Comment

Originally posted by copenhagen View Post
                      No way, the Germans land and see the two girls from Bucks Fizz, the Nolan sisters and Mel and Kim and decide they aren't worthy of such lovely young ladies and bugger off back to France

Comment

No way, the Germans land and see the two girls from Bucks Fizz, the Nolan sisters and Mel and Kim and decide they aren't worthy of such lovely young ladies and bugger off back to France
                        Don't be silly - they'd blow all their Deutschmarks on buying them drinks.

Comment

Originally posted by broderickwells View Post
                          Don't be silly - they'd blow all their Deutschmarks on buying them drinks.
                          Don't be silly? That's gold.

Comment

Originally posted by Philip F View Post
                            The Nazis win WWII
                            Кто там?
                            Это я - Почтальон Печкин!
                            Tunis is a Carthigenian city!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X