No announcement yet.

Russia does not sell Alaska to the US.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russia does not sell Alaska to the US.

What would have happened if Russia did not sell Alaska to the US. Now, I assume that it remains in Russian hands right up to today.

I can think of a few things right off hand:

By 1900 the Czar starts to put more military into the territory against Japanese expansion. The Russian Pacific Fleet takes on far more importance now that it has more options for ports and bases.

Unlike historically, Alaska remains almost totally cut off by land from Canada and the US. No roads or railroads exist between them.

By WW 2 the Soviets are greatly expanding their military presence in Alaska. In part they are doing this to move Lend Lease through the territory to Russia itself. In part they are reinforcing it against the Japanese.

Post WW 2 Alaska takes on new importance. It is a location for nuclear strike weapons, bombers, IRBM's, etc. The border with Canada gets far more attention from both nations.
    The Soviets make Alaska into a major submarine staging location and also move in lots of coastal defense naval forces. The US and Canada respond with large naval assets in the Pacific of their own.
    Canada is forced to keep a larger standing army in Canada to guard against a Soviet attack. Their forces in Europe by comparison are non-existant.
    The US likewise provides more aid and actual military units to Canada for the same purpose.
    Cuba is ignored by Kruschev when Castro comes to power simply because the Soviets already have missiles that can hit the US in Alaska and are loathe to have to get involved in Cuba too.
    There are more incidents with the Soviets over fishing rights and that sort ot thing some of which escallate into "shoving" matches at sea.
    The Soviets make far more overflights in the Artic as they have the means to move from Russia to Alaska and back. They take a much greater interest in operating submarines there too.

No one would have ever heard of Seward because he had no "folly."
    Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Comrade Mischa Shockedski writes songs about being compelled by the state to remain in Anchoragegrad and no-one gets to hear them. The world is a happier place as a result.
      Signing out.

Comment

Gemany loses ww2

Comment

I think the Cold War (no pun intended) would have been very different had this happened.

Comment

We'd never have heard of Sarah Palinski.

People would no longer get confused looking at colored political maps of the American northwest.

It's actually a very good 'What if....' question. Sorry I don't have a more thought out response.

Hopefully, others do.

Philip
            "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."— Bertrand Russell

Comment

Texas would be happy as the biggest state in the union...

Comment

Originally posted by Lionhearti View Post
                Gemany loses ww2
                The inevitable result.

I've been through two other threads on this same question. There are strong arguments the Russians would not have kept Alaska out of British hands. Either a offer they could not have refused been made, or yet another Russian/Brit war. Apparently some British leaders badly wanted that bit of frozen forrest out of Russian hands.

Assuming the 'British' outcome does not occur in the 19th Century, there is a vague possibility of the Japanese attempting to capture some stratigic points circa 1905. This I think would bring out US/Japanese tensions much faster & the treaty or Portsmouth might have a different character, if it existed at all.

Assuming the Russians dodge that bullet we come to 1919. Reds on North America would be anathema to the US leaders of the hour. We sent regiments to support the White forces in Karellia & Siberia. It is probable other regiments would land in Alaska. It is also possible the USN and those regiments would secure the existance of a rump White state, or a independent state disconnecting itself from the old Czarist residue. A new 'independent' Alaska nation would probablly be more acceptable to the US politicians & citizenry, than some group of old Czarist aristocrats plotting the restoration of their power & empire from Anchorages muddy frozen streets.

Comment

1. At some point we'd have had a 2,700 mile long Berlin Wall running east to west. More I suspect if the Aleutians were considered.

2. At some other point we'd have had to actively recruit Mexican nationals to help us fight all the Russian illegals beating feet across the border.

3. They'd have us by the short and curlies with all that oil along with the rest of their reserves.

4. Nuke sub patrolling the Arctic would be a bigger bitch than it already is.

5. Canada sure as hell would have some interesting neighbor situations every now and then.
                  Youthful Exuberance Is No Match For Old Age And Treachery.

Comment

It could later be sold to Canada or the Britains. But if they keep it, I doubt they would keep it for long, such as the Russian Civil War would of made Alaska detached from the Russians. Or perhaps after the Russo-Japenese War, Japan gets Alaska.
                    "With foxes we must play the fox."
                    -Thomas Fuller

Comment

Originally posted by Carl Schwamberg View Post
                      Assuming the Russians dodge that bullet we come to 1919. Reds on North America would be anathema to the US leaders of the hour. We sent regiments to support the White forces in Karellia & Siberia. It is probable other regiments would land in Alaska. It is also possible the USN and those regiments would secure the existance of a rump White state, or a independent state disconnecting itself from the old Czarist residue. A new 'independent' Alaska nation would probablly be more acceptable to the US politicians & citizenry, than some group of old Czarist aristocrats plotting the restoration of their power & empire from Anchorages muddy frozen streets.
                      Now that is an interesting scenario. Sort of a North and South Russia... East and West...?

Anyway, with a surviving Imperial / Western Russia that the Duma / Czar control and a Communist one things could get interesting. Given the way other Communist and Democratic states turned out I could see a White Russia Alaska being an economic powerhouse while Russia itself languishes under Communist control.

Comment

I'm a bit skeptical an Alaska dominated by a pack of aging Russian aristocrats would become a economic powerhouse. Even as part of the US with its robust banks, and with large oil deposits the place has been slow to develop. Perhaps if enough of the Russian 'merchant' class wash up there in the 1920s, with enough capitol and former business connections to Britain, France, US, ect... something can be done. But, the track record of the Russian emigres in the 1920s & 1930s was not exactly stellar. It kind of suggested why they could not retain their former power.

Comment

Even if the Russians hadn't sold it to the US in 1863, the one country that would not have been allowed to buy it was the UK. Anybody in the late 19th C the Russians like who has deep pockets and aren't British? The French.

Vive l'Alaska!

Comment

Not much. The Trans-Siberian railway wasn't completed until around 1910, and even then it was pretty primitive. The Russians/Soviets have had transport issues with Siberia since they acquired it. Developing Alaska would have been impossible until post WW2.

I figure the US would have seized it in 1918 instead of sending troops into Siberia.
                            Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                              Not much. The Trans-Siberian railway wasn't completed until around 1910, and even then it was pretty primitive. The Russians/Soviets have had transport issues with Siberia since they acquired it. Developing Alaska would have been impossible until post WW2.

I figure the US would have seized it in 1918 instead of sending troops into Siberia.
                              Agreed. More likely that USA and Canada invade it in 1918 and take it with ease. The real question is what happens to it afterwards? Do the Americans want to annex it all? Or do they have Canada annex it? I question whether the US would view Alaska as desirable territory. I suppose a big part of it would be whether the Russians had discovered gold or not. It's entirely possible that they wouldn't have, as the gold was first discovered on the eastern side of Alaska and across the border in the Yukon.
                              A wild liberal appears! Conservative uses logical reasoning and empirical evidence! It's super effective! Wild liberal faints.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X