X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T. A. Gardner
    replied
    Originally posted by Full Monty View Post
    Do I detect a hint of sarcasm in that reply?
    No hint, it was full on sarcasm!

Leave a comment:

• broderickwells
    replied
    Originally posted by PhilipLaos View Post
    Well you, and some others here, seem to have a lot of detailed technical knowledge about how to construct nuclear weapons yourselves.

Makes me wonder if what is going on in your garden shed is not just limited to creating nice miniature military models.

Philip
    Neither me nor my stunt double have any undeclared nucleotides in my garden shed.

Leave a comment:

• Full Monty
    replied
    Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    Yes, I'm sure some boffin could build a working reactor in short order in his garden shed and set everything right for the .01 seconds the reactor works before the Lucas electrics explode in flame and the the rest of it breaks down from using substandard parts bought at the local hardware store....
    Do I detect a hint of sarcasm in that reply?

Leave a comment:

• T. A. Gardner
    replied
    Originally posted by PhilipLaos View Post
    Well you, and some others here, seem to have a lot of detailed technical knowledge about how to construct nuclear weapons yourselves.

Makes me wonder if what is going on in your garden shed is not just limited to creating nice miniature military models.

Philip
    Hey! I resemble that remark! I don't have any uranium or plutomium that the government knows about and it is going to stay that way unless they raise my taxes!

Leave a comment:

• PhilipLaos
    replied
    Yes, I'm sure some boffin could build a working reactor in short order in his garden shed and set everything right for the .01 seconds the reactor works before the Lucas electrics explode in flame and the the rest of it breaks down from using substandard parts bought at the local hardware store....

Philip

Leave a comment:

• broderickwells
    replied
    Joseph Lucas - Prince of Darkness

Leave a comment:

• T. A. Gardner
    replied
    Well they do have the British onboard which *could* make all the difference. There's no evidence either way whether it would of course but it's quite conceivable that the pooled intellectual resources would figure it out given Britain's lead in the theoretical side. The real problem as far as I can tell is how quickly they can design a working bomb given the pressure on resources. I'm assuming an Anglo-German Non-Aggression Pact which allows for a degree of cooperation. I'm also assuming US Lend-Lease being granted to the Soviets meaning that the Mannheim Project has to come to fruition by late 1944 or risk being shut down to cover more pressing needs.

Leave a comment:

• Full Monty
    replied
    Assuming that Alien Space Bats and Gerry Anderson's puppets don't intervene to tip the balance in favour of one side or the other it's my belief that the combined resources of the Anglo-German teams, bolstered by a functioning Western European economic system, would be sufficient given enough time. Whether enough time would have been available is questionable. Assuming a weapon of some sort could have been constructed by late 1944 how would it have been used? If two or three warheads/bombs of, say, 3000 lbs were placed at the disposal of the Nazis what would have been the targets and how would they have been delivered? What effect would their use have had on the course of the war?

Note: I'm not saying this was even vaguely likely but it's worth asking.

Leave a comment:

• Full Monty
    replied
    Originally posted by broderickwells View Post
    International Rescue were supposedly Americans.
    Maybe, but that's not the show that featured that tagline!

Leave a comment:

• broderickwells
    replied
    Not all, and with those dastardly Brits twiddling their canes with unparalleled, er, dastardliness, anything can happen (in the next half hour?)!
    International Rescue were supposedly Americans.

Leave a comment:

• Full Monty
    replied
    Originally posted by broderickwells View Post
    Sorry, but all the good German scientists have fled to the USA. (Where is that fiendishly twirls his moustaches smiley?)
    Not all, and with those dastardly Brits twiddling their canes with unparalleled, er, dastardliness, anything can happen (in the next half hour?)!

Leave a comment:

• broderickwells
    replied
    If I'm not careful ......

My god, a huhu bug

Wire mesh, 8mm spacing

Leave a comment:

• broderickwells
    replied
    You doing a Gllenn?

Whether heavy water makes a bomb or not is immaterial. The Germans were making it for use in their atomic programme at a Norwegian hydro-electric plant. The power generated by the plant might be enough to satisfy the needs you describe .... assuming a bit of typical British ingenuity combined with German engineering excellence.
    There is the minor problem of enriching the fuel, which really is the problem, no matter what technology route you take. Natural uranium contains about 0.7% U-235. Not enough to to maintain a critical mass. The expensive and energy hungry bit is building the uranium enrichment to get it up to 3-5% U-235 for reactors, and 84% or more for a bomb. You're going to have to invest in a lot of gas and thermal diffusion technology. And you'll need an expert in organofluorine chemistry because UF6 is highly corrosive. There goes another year of research...

Sorry, but all the good German scientists have fled to the USA. (Where is that fiendishly twirls his moustaches smiley?)

Leave a comment:

• Full Monty
    replied
    If I'm not careful ......

Leave a comment:

• Full Monty
    replied
    The problem is that the German heavy water reactor design is crap. They would have had to completely redesign it to get it to work. Using the "necklaces" of blocks of randomly oriented raw uranium would not have worked. They needed to arrange things far more precisely and that called for control rods and a fixed fuel geometry. The graphite route the US (Fermi) took was much simpler even if far more messy.

The only way I can see for the German reactor to be controlled is to pull the core from the water. They couldn't have used a neutron poison like boron as an alternate as this would have contaminated the water and been hard to remove later.
    Pulling the core when it is operating is not a smart thing at all. Between the heat and radiation you are looking at a likely disaster if you do.

So, the Germans have to start from scratch after their first attempt fails.
    Well they do have the British onboard which *could* make all the difference. There's no evidence either way whether it would of course but it's quite conceivable that the pooled intellectual resources would figure it out given Britain's lead in the theoretical side. The real problem as far as I can tell is how quickly they can design a working bomb given the pressure on resources. I'm assuming an Anglo-German Non-Aggression Pact which allows for a degree of cooperation. I'm also assuming US Lend-Lease being granted to the Soviets meaning that the Mannheim Project has to come to fruition by late 1944 or risk being shut down to cover more pressing needs.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X