The Mannheim Project: A Technological 'What If?'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by broderickwells View Post
    International Rescue were supposedly Americans.
    Maybe, but that's not the show that featured that tagline!

Signing out.

Comment

Assuming that Alien Space Bats and Gerry Anderson's puppets don't intervene to tip the balance in favour of one side or the other it's my belief that the combined resources of the Anglo-German teams, bolstered by a functioning Western European economic system, would be sufficient given enough time. Whether enough time would have been available is questionable. Assuming a weapon of some sort could have been constructed by late 1944 how would it have been used? If two or three warheads/bombs of, say, 3000 lbs were placed at the disposal of the Nazis what would have been the targets and how would they have been delivered? What effect would their use have had on the course of the war?

Note: I'm not saying this was even vaguely likely but it's worth asking.
      Signing out.

Comment

Originally posted by Full Monty View Post
        Well they do have the British onboard which *could* make all the difference. There's no evidence either way whether it would of course but it's quite conceivable that the pooled intellectual resources would figure it out given Britain's lead in the theoretical side. The real problem as far as I can tell is how quickly they can design a working bomb given the pressure on resources. I'm assuming an Anglo-German Non-Aggression Pact which allows for a degree of cooperation. I'm also assuming US Lend-Lease being granted to the Soviets meaning that the Mannheim Project has to come to fruition by late 1944 or risk being shut down to cover more pressing needs.
        Yes, I'm sure some boffin could build a working reactor in short order in his garden shed and set everything right for the .01 seconds the reactor works before the Lucas electrics explode in flame and the the rest of it breaks down from using substandard parts bought at the local hardware store....

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
          Yes, I'm sure some boffin could build a working reactor in short order in his garden shed and set everything right for the .01 seconds the reactor works before the Lucas electrics explode in flame and the the rest of it breaks down from using substandard parts bought at the local hardware store....
          Joseph Lucas - Prince of Darkness

Comment

Well you, and some others here, seem to have a lot of detailed technical knowledge about how to construct nuclear weapons yourselves.

Makes me wonder if what is going on in your garden shed is not just limited to creating nice miniature military models.

Philip
            "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipLaos View Post
              Well you, and some others here, seem to have a lot of detailed technical knowledge about how to construct nuclear weapons yourselves.

Makes me wonder if what is going on in your garden shed is not just limited to creating nice miniature military models.

Philip
              Hey! I resemble that remark! I don't have any uranium or plutomium that the government knows about and it is going to stay that way unless they raise my taxes!

Comment

Do I detect a hint of sarcasm in that reply?
                Signing out.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipLaos View Post

Philip
                  Neither me nor my stunt double have any undeclared nucleotides in my garden shed.

Comment

Originally posted by Full Monty View Post
                    Do I detect a hint of sarcasm in that reply?
                    No hint, it was full on sarcasm!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X