X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by craven View Post
    not really

it takes some really bad luck for you to lose a land battle. Or fighting England with its 4.5 morale or a coalition containing a good size force of English in a coalition which moves their morale high enough to win.

If you go and examine most of the battles every single one comes down to Morale. and your 4. morale vs everyone elses 3 morale means you will win most of the time. For you to lose it takes bad chit and bad roles.

Note the fight in turkey where 3 corps failed to defeat your 1 corp and I rolled 6s and picked a good chit but superior morale allowed you to hold out till reinforcements.

The other part is if you got enough manpower to grind away someones good troops sooner or latter numbers will eventually get you a victory. btw only way I ever had success against France.

Note Turkeys campaign in Africa. Lost or drew almost every battle but still ended up crushing Spain because of superior manpower.

You just do not realize how strong of a postion you have been sitting in and with England gone it just got worse for everyone else.
    Well I remember that in first game after crushing Austria I had 3 or 4 battles in a row where I couldn`t win Russian forces because of chits and die rolls. At one point in battle I had two times more troops and yet lost. Also in Spain in this game Soult tried to beat Brits 2 times and both times failed with chits and couldn`t win the battle. So it`s not so trivial as you describe.
    However I know that I have very strong positions now but that`s concern for other players, right?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ulrih View Post
      Well I remember that in first game after crushing Austria I had 3 or 4 battles in a row where I couldn`t win Russian forces because of chits and die rolls. At one point in battle I had two times more troops and yet lost. Also in Spain in this game Soult tried to beat Brits 2 times and both times failed with chits and couldn`t win the battle. So it`s not so trivial as you describe.
      However I know that I have very strong positions now but that`s concern for other players, right?
      Remember as I said England is the only land power that can go toe to toe with France. England has the morale advantage. And you did pick the right chits in those battles otherwise those should of been solid victories for england. Against Spain solo they would of been massacres for the Spainish

and that was last game not this one you got more manpower so you can afford six to eight losses at which point roll over your oppenents.

remember I lost three or four battles in Africa but in the long run eliminated Spains land forces.

Comment

Remember as I said England is the only land power that can go toe to toe with France. England has the morale advantage. And you did pick the right chits in those battles otherwise those should of been solid victories for england. Against Spain solo they would of been massacres for the Spainish

and that was last game not this one you got more manpower so you can afford six to eight losses at which point roll over your oppenents.

remember I lost three or four battles in Africa but in the long run eliminated Spains land forces.
        That`s what I`m saying. If naval battles depend only from die rolls and who fires first mainly then land battles are more tricky. Terrain, chits, morale, commanders and their impact on outflank, reinforcements etc, pursuit ratio. As I mentioned I also lost some battles against adversary with lower morale and less troops...

Speaking about Africa - don`t forget that long run was only possible because Spain had to spread their troops fighting at first Austrians in Italy and then Brits in Peninsula.

Comment

• craven,

You are too negative and your view is couloured by the fact your strategy failed. Britain is not a land power, I explained this to you early on. Its strength is in the fleet.

Britain begins with a small army and it takes time to build it up to the strength where it can reinforce a continental power. Even so it can onlty be brought into play if you gain naval supremacy, so ensuring you control the seas is imperative if you want to deploy Britain's excellent corps -

I Corps - 2G, 12I
          II, III Corps - 14I
          IV, V, VI Corps - 10I
          I Cav Corps - 8C

As we discussed your strategy was gutsy and it almost worked but you to a risk and neglected the fleet. When the naval battles turned against you there was no reserve . Had this neglect of the fleet allowed you to deploy a strong army then it may still have worked but you never gave the British army a chance to expand so it never grew beyond 2 infantry corps (never full strength) and about half of its cavalry.

Britain entered this quarter in first place, it will probably still be first place at the end of Sep, maybe December as well but it will be challanged in 1808 to hold its lead while it rebuilds.

France will recover some ground over the same period but it is behind the curve. Russia is actually placed to do the best at the moment despite a few setbacks.

Not everyone can win but it is expected that all players do their best to improve the position of the power which they control. if one strategy fails, regroup and try something new. This game has 132 monthly terms. Nothing can be decided in the first 25-35 turns. The game is too fluid and options to players too numerous.

The math alone shows that any one power that has everything go its way cannot possibly obtain the VPs to winn before late 1811 to late 1812 and to do this would require absolute failure by the opposition at every turn.

So,... France has not won, its position is not guaranteed.

Play on.
          The Purist

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

Comment

• THis is starting to give me a headache that goes all the way down my spinal chord.

My impatience is what caused me to take control of the fleets, and the results seem to be cascading. Bordeaux is just mind-boggleing... and I have a long way to go trying to rebuild Spain.

And I'm winning?
            Wow, okay

I will get more into this Saturday, so that the people besieging me at the gates of my capitol can surrender to me....
            Are you sure this is how Napoleonic war worked?
            "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

That`s what I`m saying. If naval battles depend only from die rolls and who fires first mainly then land battles are more tricky. Terrain, chits, morale, commanders and their impact on outflank, reinforcements etc, pursuit ratio. As I mentioned I also lost some battles against adversary with lower morale and less troops...

Speaking about Africa - don`t forget that long run was only possible because Spain had to spread their troops fighting at first Austrians in Italy and then Brits in Peninsula.
              Africa was won because Turkey had more gold and manpower than Spain. i lost or drew most of the battle their. Ex withdrew from Tunis because of casualties that Turkey was able to absorb but losses and he was not. When i got to Algiers i actually won my first battle but he had been bled to much.

and the war with Austria was well over before the serious fighting began.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
                THis is starting to give me a headache that goes all the way down my spinal chord.

My impatience is what caused me to take control of the fleets, and the results seem to be cascading. Bordeaux is just mind-boggleing... and I have a long way to go trying to rebuild Spain.

And I'm winning?
                Wow, okay

I will get more into this Saturday, so that the people besieging me at the gates of my capitol can surrender to me....
                Are you sure this is how Napoleonic war worked?
                now you know how you made me feel when you wouldn't surrender after losing

Comment

• Originally posted by The Purist View Post
                  craven,

You are too negative and your view is couloured by the fact your strategy failed. Britain is not a land power, I explained this to you early on. Its strength is in the fleet.

Britain begins with a small army and it takes time to build it up to the strength where it can reinforce a continental power. Even so it can onlty be brought into play if you gain naval supremacy, so ensuring you control the seas is imperative if you want to deploy Britain's excellent corps -

I Corps - 2G, 12I
                  II, III Corps - 14I
                  IV, V, VI Corps - 10I
                  I Cav Corps - 8C

As we discussed your strategy was gutsy and it almost worked but you to a risk and neglected the fleet. When the naval battles turned against you there was no reserve . Had this neglect of the fleet allowed you to deploy a strong army then it may still have worked but you never gave the British army a chance to expand so it never grew beyond 2 infantry corps (never full strength) and about half of its cavalry.

Britain entered this quarter in first place, it will probably still be first place at the end of Sep, maybe December as well but it will be challanged in 1808 to hold its lead while it rebuilds.

France will recover some ground over the same period but it is behind the curve. Russia is actually placed to do the best at the moment despite a few setbacks.

Not everyone can win but it is expected that all players do their best to improve the position of the power which they control. if one strategy fails, regroup and try something new. This game has 132 monthly terms. Nothing can be decided in the first 25-35 turns. The game is too fluid and options to players too numerous.

The math alone shows that any one power that has everything go its way cannot possibly obtain the VPs to winn before late 1811 to late 1812 and to do this would require absolute failure by the opposition at every turn.

So,... France has not won, its position is not guaranteed.

Play on.
                  lets do the math

Russia cant defeat France.

Austria cant defeat France

Prussia cant

And Austria and Prussia cant

hence French win.

now I am haven't done the math but if everyone surrenders to france it might starves him for vps

But he will end up controlling most of the known world

Comment

• Nope.Britain and Spain have defeated France. Russia and Britain have defeated France. Austria and Prussia can certainly defeat France. And on it goes.

If you think game is decided you are simply wrong. It is far from decided. You have to decide if you want to continue being a productive contributor to the game. Or not.
                    The Purist

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

Comment

Nope.Britain and Spain have defeated France. Russia and Britain have defeated France. Austria and Prussia can certainly defeat France. And on it goes.

If you think game is decided you are simply wrong. It is far from decided. You have to decide if you want to continue being a productive contributor to the game. Or not.
                      when France has had this much manpower

also since I promised to support spain and france if I surrendered to them except against Russia

btw promise made immediately after Austria attacked me. and you know how I am about deals. you honor them

everyone playing this game knows what my play style is and has to deal with it just like I have to deal with theres.

I am playing the game ot have fun it might not be how you want me to play but hey spain in my opinion should of surrendered a long time ago

just because I do not believe in playing the game how you chose to see how the game should be played does not mean I should be penalized.
                      Last edited by craven; 09 Oct 15, 18:15.

Comment

Africa was won because Turkey had more gold and manpower than Spain. i lost or drew most of the battle their. Ex withdrew from Tunis because of casualties that Turkey was able to absorb but losses and he was not. When i got to Algiers i actually won my first battle but he had been bled to much.

and the war with Austria was well over before the serious fighting began.
                        War with Austria was over that`s correct but Spain lost there much needed troops that could reinforce African front. Reinforcements were also staying in Spain to protect Madrid, ports with fleets from British expeditionary forces that`s why Spain couldn`t send enough troops to Africa.

Comment

Not sure. During the last land phase the Dutch corps was also part of Napoleon's army but it did not reinforce the battle of Saragosa.

Ha, my clever plan to undermine Dutch support for the French is working.
                          Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

Comment

War with Austria was over that`s correct but Spain lost there much needed troops that could reinforce African front. Reinforcements were also staying in Spain to protect Madrid, ports with fleets from British expeditionary forces that`s why Spain couldn`t send enough troops to Africa.

and so without your troops spain would of lost instead he used his superior manpower to grind away my superior army that and me picking the wrong chit.

you need to just look at the four or five battles down there I lost every battle and still won the war because of more manpower what do you not get about that.

if your going to look at what occurred in spain then consider the fact you do not have to protect anything while your enemis will have corps guarding all their cost.

you have superior manpower it will work the same way plus a morale advantage you can build at least two corps per econ phase who else can

bottom line you can chose to believe me or not I just telling you how I have won in the past or lost in the past

Comment

now you know how you made me feel when you wouldn't surrender after losing
                              I didn't lose.

I'm playing the loooong game.
                              "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

• Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
                                I didn't lose.

I'm playing the loooong game.
                                lol

iwell if we got to1818 me and you might have a chance

Comment

Working...
                                X