Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So the player who has the highest percentage short of 100%, wins if no one reaches 100% - right ?

Britain spending its VPs to have them subtracted from mine does not make The Empire rank lower compared to Britain, it just makes both Britain and The Empire rank lower compared to everybody else -

In fact if Craven didn't spend those VPs, the comparative position of The Empire and Britain would be identical.

How then can this game mechanic make Britain "win by default" ?

Edit: or,

Right now Britain has 26% of what it needs to win, I have 24 %?. France 21%.

If Craven hadn't spend those VPs I might have 26, Britain 28, France still 21, for example.

So what's the net benefit to Britain of this operation ?

It would however explain how those percentages remain low, despite both doing better than their historical counterparts, assuming this has been going on since the beginning of the war, both of us could have been in the 30s or lower 40s by now
    Last edited by Snowygerry; 31 Aug 15, 06:49.
    High Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.
    Major Atticus Finch - ACW Rainbow Co.

Comment

• If at the end of the game no power has reached 100% then Britain wins - in official game terms. However, we are just using the game engine as a tool and the victor could better be gauged on who has put their empire in the best position by Dec 1815 compared to the historical events.

Or,.... just have fun with this while trying to make yourself numero uno. Different strokes for different folks.
      The Purist

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

Comment

• Okay, I understand the basic idea, but not the historical precedent its meant to simulate. British skullduggery, manipulation of the world markets?

Napoleon is starting to look like a much more heroic figure, and an even more tragic one.
        "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

• The key is Englands overall strategy was just to not have one power dominating Europe

So if no one wins then it political goals are achieved hence its victory to England.

On the other hand for France to win it needs to fight everyone and constantly gain big vps to win. Which is why being allied with France in the long run does not work for for more than one or two players because sooner or latter France needs to get vps from them to win.

Spain and Turkey with their lower vp counts just need to do a little to succed They lack the tools that England Austria dna France and Russia have. ie bad troops

Comment

• Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post
            So the player who has the highest percentage short of 100%, wins if no one reaches 100% - right ?

Britain spending its VPs to have them subtracted from mine does not make The Empire rank lower compared to Britain, it just makes both Britain and The Empire rank lower compared to everybody else -

In fact if Craven didn't spend those VPs, the comparative position of The Empire and Britain would be identical.

How then can this game mechanic make Britain "win by default" ?

Edit: or,

Right now Britain has 26% of what it needs to win, I have 24 %?. France 21%.

If Craven hadn't spend those VPs I might have 26, Britain 28, France still 21, for example.

So what's the net benefit to Britain of this operation ?

It would however explain how those percentages remain low, despite both doing better than their historical counterparts, assuming this has been going on since the beginning of the war, both of us could have been in the 30s or lower 40s by now
            Since I am not playing for the VP win and just the Stalemate win Keeping Austria down and allowing others to pass you suits my purposes Notice if I did not spend points keeping you down you France and Russia would of not gained a vp advantage over you the last two turns

Comment

• Originally posted by The Purist View Post
              If at the end of the game no power has reached 100% then Britain wins - in official game terms. (...)
              (...) So if no one wins then it political goals are achieved hence its victory to England.
              That's a huge bonus, on top of the others Britain already has.

Even if, let's say the British Isles are conquered, her fleet gone, her armies destroyed, Britain will still "win" if I end up at 99% of needed VPs in Dec 1815 ??

It does in fact make this a game of all vs. Britain - since no matter how well you do in VPs she can just use this mechanism to keep you down once you approach 90% or so, and still win, quite regardless of whether she was an enemy or ally before.

Only way to stop this is to make sure Britain cannot gain VPs anymore, no army, no fleet, no territories, and to do so quite early in the game.

It does however explain Craven's strategy which seemed incomprehensible until now -

Still the rules are the same for everyone, we'll play them as they are
              Last edited by Snowygerry; 01 Sep 15, 00:53.
              High Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.

Comment

That's a huge bonus, on top of the others Britain already has.

Even if, let's say the British Isles are conquered, her fleet gone, her armies destroyed, Britain will still "win" if I end up at 99% of needed VPs in Dec 1815 ??

It does in fact make this a game of all vs. Britain - since no matter how well you do in VPs she can just use this mechanism to keep you down once you approach 90% or so, and still win, quite regardless of whether she was an enemy or ally before.

It does however explain Craven's strategy which seemed incomprehensible until now -

Still the rules are the same for everyone, we'll play them as they are
                That`s just technical issue. For me if Austria will have 99% at the end of the game Austria will be winner.

Comment

• Well yes obviously there are basically two levels of playing the game (or any game),

Francis, The Emperor does not care about victory points he just wants to leave his empire in a better state than it was when he took it over.

Snowygerry, the player, however wanted to win this game according to the rules laid out, that looks increasingly difficult without resorting to extraordinary measures.

Has anyone of you ever won this game with any other faction than Britain or France ?
                  Last edited by Snowygerry; 01 Sep 15, 01:41.

Comment

Well yes obviously there are basically two levels of playing the game (or any game),

Francis, The Emperor does not care about victory points he just wants to leave his empire in a better state than it was when he took it over.

Snowygerry, the player, however wanted to win this game according to the rules laid out, that looks increasingly difficult without resorting to extraordinary measures.

Has anyone of you ever won this game with any other faction than Britain or France ?
                    I have won with Prussia

To win you got to identify where your vp can come from and where everyone elses can come from.

So for example Prussia can get a few from Russia but really cant in sustain a long march into Russia.

They can get a lot of vps from France and Austria while maintaining it armies semi consolidated.

England is out for them just because it stupid for a land power to try and become a naval power. History shoes that usually leads to disaster.

spain a few if they are still in Itally

turkey to far away.

So Prussia either allies with France and beats on Austria and Russia

Or Allies with Austria and Russia against France.

Comment

• France just needs to attack attack and attack before a coalition can be formed against them. Or gain one very solid ally to ensure it flanks are secured.

then it uses everyone else as alliance of convenience. Sooner or latter France's need for VP will for them to turn on it allies.

Comment

Yes.
                        Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

Comment

• Pardon the delay gents. Catching up at the office after a vacation is always soooo much fun.

By the way, I forgot to note that Swedish Pommerania became a Spanish sponsored Free State. Corrected the oversight in the diplomacy notes.
                          The Purist

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tsar View Post
                            Yes.
                            Originally posted by craven View Post
                            I have won with Prussia
                            And what was the role of Britain in that game ? Specifically did they try to use the mechanism discussed above to keep you from gaining 100%, and how did you counter it ?

Originally posted by The Purist View Post
                            Pardon the delay gents. Catching up at the office after a vacation is always soooo much fun.
                            No to worry, time was spent in useful fashion
                            Last edited by Snowygerry; 02 Sep 15, 03:33.

Comment

And what was the role of Britain in that game ? Specifically did they try to use the mechanism discussed above to keep you from gaining 100%, and how did you counter it ?

No to worry, time was spent in useful fashion
                              no kept England on my good side. The key was France was kept small

and I limited a lot of my wars to Austria till I got some cash then turned on France. There was a few side adventures against Russia.

You always need to keep England on your good side or be the one insiposable ally to France. England is the counter balance to France just concentrating it forces to the East. because they end up having to garrison their western flank.

Comment

• So I`m doing everything right, no?

BTW, speaking about game mechanics - so we continue with loaning troops as it is now or we agree to prevent involving of loaned troops in battles if original owner of the troops are not in war?
                                As for me - I`m voting for first option as it`s in game mechanics.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X