Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transports are my only way to influence the game. Without them Englands has no influence.

Ship cost mean nothing for guys who should be working on there land armies.

btw what your vp per turn to win up to now.

Comment

• Not sure that I understood what transports have to do with winning the game? You have plenty of other fleets that could bring British small army anywhere even without transport ships. Also if France will not build ships then how it would be possible even to compete with Britain? I noticed that you're building land forces although Britain is naval power, so same with France.

Regarding VPs -I have no clue.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ulrih View Post
        Not sure that I understood what transports have to do with winning the game? You have plenty of other fleets that could bring British small army anywhere even without transport ships. Also if France will not build ships then how it would be possible even to compete with Britain? I noticed that you're building land forces although Britain is naval power, so same with France.

Regarding VPs -I have no clue.
        Yeah but I am built out for land forces. And it allows me to do more than just sail around. Well I can win the game if I stall out the game but I cant not get enough vps just by fighting ship battles France on the other hand avoids giving Vp by not fighting at see and can gain enough through just land warfare.

Yeah all those ships on blockade duty cant transport troops. Especially in worthwhile numbers

That what screwed me up when I invaded France. Couldn't bring enough corps across to do what I wanted and maintain blockades

Comment

• Both France and Britain have options other players do not.

Britain is a (is *the*) naval power and needs to exploit this fact. Her army is secondary but can play a vital role once the sea lanes are dominated. Because of the RNs combat bonus it can fight against superior number for a while but it does need to build ships until it wins the naval war.

France can compete with Britain on the sea so long as she has quiet periods on land. If France gets some help (ie Spain in this case) then the threat to Britain's naval superiority is greater but not insurmountable.

Just as Britain must always look to the sea to win, France needs to look to dominance on land. However, if offered opportunities for VPs elsewhere both have the power challenge the other in areas of the other's strength.

Russia can play this game as well but to a lesser extent due to geography and limited fleet availability. Spain could try but her base economy is comparitively weak and geography makes it difficult due to exposed flanks
          The Purist

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

Comment

• Hold the phone, Craven.
            As Purist just pointed out, you have the option of moving first or last every turn. So what is anyone supposed to do when you unmask the world at the end of one turn and then have the option of storming back in at the start of the next turn, before anyone can even react?
            Its as if you can get the benefit of being in port for a turn, while at the same time keeping all your ships right in our way.
            Yes, that's how the rules are, but why chide us for reacting to it the best way we can?
            "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

• It is a benefit meant to showcase RN proficience at staff work. Likewise, the French army (the staff) can use the double move with crushing effectiveness when well timed.

Consider Napoleon being in Venice at the start of one month and in Breslau by the end of the next, or Grouchy/Murat with cavalry getting from Paris to Berlin in the same time frame.

The double move is always in the back of the oppositions mind, affecting their deliberations.
              The Purist

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
                Hold the phone, Craven.
                As Purist just pointed out, you have the option of moving first or last every turn. So what is anyone supposed to do when you unmask the world at the end of one turn and then have the option of storming back in at the start of the next turn, before anyone can even react?
                Its as if you can get the benefit of being in port for a turn, while at the same time keeping all your ships right in our way.
                Yes, that's how the rules are, but why chide us for reacting to it the best way we can?
                No I saying you had the opportunity to get my transports with only the loss of a few ships with the loss of my transports I would of lost my ability to move large numbers of troops.

My fleet can't transport troops because of perpetual blockade duty

Purist really thought you were going to sink them

Btw I am talking about the trans that were sitting outside Lisbon. I am fairly sure I left one of your smaller fleets unblockaded. Now the transports are in port.

So my ability to move first or last had nothing to do with the situation

Comment

• Ofen and Pest

Points of interest to note concerning Ofen and Pest.

Pest - a defender that is an all cavalry force gets a bonus to its withdrawal dr. When it works you get away clean. However, should you fail, just like any other force that fails to get away, Gawd help you. You'll be crushed.

Ofen - note the Russian bonus when choosing 'defend' (morale bonus). The draw back is that it is risky. An echelon attack will still peel the defences apart barring random effects of dice. Also!!! Note the effect of trying to reinforce a battle over a river. It reduces the leaders strategic rating - in this case from 3 to 2 - and that can make the difference.

Finally - note the Russian retreats. Armies always retreat to the nearest source of supply. In the case of the Russians in Austria that is towards their depot in Koniggratz, four areas away. The depot in Brest-Litovsk is five areas away and thus ignored.
                  The Purist

Comment

• Oh well, it was worth a try. I almost pulled it off even with only milita there.
                    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

Comment

• I would have done the same thing. How many battles in the real world turn on a bit of luck here or the lack of luck over there.

Your cavalry did make a clean break from what would have been an expensive loss.
                      The Purist

Comment

• Originally posted by The Purist View Post
                        (...)
                        Pest - a defender that is an all cavalry force gets a bonus to its withdrawal dr. When it works you get away clean. However, should you fail, just like any other force that fails to get away, Gawd help you. You'll be crushed.
                        Interesting, just how big is the chance of a successful withdrawal for a combined arms force, and what influences it ?

We've seen in this game a lot of hopelessly outnumbered forces fight to total destruction, what prevents them from retreating, mostly ?
                        High Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.

Comment

• One has to choose 'withdraw' first. Then the commander's strategic rating (varies between 1 and 5) is used to determine success. All cav forces receive a - 1 (iirc) to the dr. Outflank vs withdraw gains a -1. Probe vs withdraw is automatically successful.

With a 5 strategic rating commnders such as Wellington and Napoleon seldom fail to withdraw if they desire. However, when they do fail, their usually large, high quality armies can end up shattered.
                          The Purist

Comment

• Thanks EX win lose or draw at least I am getting some action

Comment

• Tunis and Lisbon

Musket's volly and cannon roar over the charge of cavary.

Blood! Horror!! Death!!!

A generally nasty day for those concerned.

Battle should be posted this evening.
                              The Purist

Comment

• Tunis and Lisbon Part II

Spain bounces back!!

Spain wins a couple of battles but despite good chit picks, neither was as decisive as it could have been. The dice have the final say.

The wins do help Spain politically (+4 pol pts) while the French pick up 2 points for the assist. Britain and Turkey both lose 2 pol points, but not enough to impact current standings. The dice speak again.
                                The Purist

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X