The House of Washington

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The House of Washington

Many people wanted Washington to become king. He had no biological children. Had he become king, who ascends and becomes George II? His stepson George Custis? Or one of his brothers or his brother's children?

The British subjects here might be better able to answer this than most Americans.

I have no idea.
    "Shoot for the epaulets, boys! Shoot for the epaulets!" - Daniel Morgan

Originally posted by KRJ View Post
    Many people wanted Washington to become king. He had no biological children. Had he become king, who ascends and becomes George II? His stepson George Custis? Or one of his brothers or his brother's children?

The British subjects here might be better able to answer this than most Americans.

I have no idea.
    His oldest surviving brother...

Comment

Seeming how you modelled much of the republic on Roman ideals I'd expect that a round of civil wars and a couple of assassinations would be the way it was decided.

But in all seriousness I'd assume he would have the gravitas to set the succession anyway he felt, and then that would be the norm.
      Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

Since I made the OP, I did some internet searching. Someone actually figured out a line of US kings from Washington's brother Augustine. Turns out some gentleman in his 80s from Texas would likely be king if Europen rules for monarchy were followed.

Originally posted by Rojik View Post
        Seeming how you modelled much of the republic on Roman ideals I'd expect that a round of civil wars and a couple of assassinations would be the way it was decided.
        A reasonable expectation.

But in all seriousness I'd assume he would have the gravitas to set the succession anyway he felt, and then that would be the norm.
        Gravitas: Dignity, seriousness, or solemnity of manner. Good word. Didn't know what it meant until I looked it up.

Perhaps you are right. Starting afresh, the rules of ascension used by European monarchies might not be followed. That being the case, perhaps George Custis would have become George II instead of the throne going to Augustine Washington. I'm sure that would have been Martha's preference.
        "Shoot for the epaulets, boys! Shoot for the epaulets!" - Daniel Morgan

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X