No announcement yet.

What if the South won the Civil War?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had this movie come up in a conversation about something unrelated, but obviously fits here in this discussion. Of course it is speculation on one person's part. This is a mockumentary (British) called CSA-The Confederate States of America, set well into the future:
    The muffled drums sad roll has beat the soldier's last tatoo. No more on life's parade shall meet that brave and fallen few.

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
      I knew I should have qualified that with a "for men" insert. But then, we'd got into the whole "oh yeah, in the South too?" routine.
      Hell, in the UK they didn't have it for men all across the board in 1914 either.

In 1860 Britain they had something called "the educated million" that lead the other 24 million around by the nose. Not by force, but simply with the assumption that those people knew best. WW1 and the death of 'old' Europe put paid to that notion.
      Actually the USA also had census limitations on voting rights - for white males, yes. They varied state by state, and until about the 1850s, there were several states that had property ownership requirements in place. Until 1856, in North Carolina you could not vote if you did not own land. In 1857, illiterate white males could not vote in Massachussets - I suppose they were "the uneducated" ones.

In 1860, the US census indicated 31.4 million inhabitants. The ballots cast in the presidential election were 4.7 million. AFAIK. 5 to 31 is better than 1 to 24 in general terms, but it doesn't change much if you're one of the majority.

Britain was not the only other country with democratic elections, anyway, whether with or without a king. France - a republic by then - had universal male suffrage in 1875, Greece - a kingdom - in 1864, Germany - an empire - in 1871. All of these dates are later than the US presidential elections in 1860, but not by much, and certainly closer to 1860 than 1914.
      Michele

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
      X