Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Strategist
    replied
    sounds a pretty good book ill have to buy it sometime.

Leave a comment:

• Selous
    replied
    The 500 was supposed to be quite good

Leave a comment:

• copenhagen
    replied
    Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    Italy can't even make a decently reliable car.... That isn't the stuff empires are built on....

Failed Italian Automotive Technology (FIAT)
    Your behind the curve on that one but thats for another thread...

Leave a comment:

• Hida Akechi
    replied
    Until he reveals himself to be hairog or a reasonable facimile, I won't jump on him too much for his plot holes. He did come here asking for feedback. That takes some balls. Unless he has a hidden agenda and wants to start a fight.

It is a bit of a flight of fancy that every country just rolls over and accepts this new Roman regime, and I still have a hard time that the greater Europe hasn't learned from it's past lessons. More importantly to me, and he did have an answer, is that the US allowed an invasion to work on its own soil without some sort of response. Even "downsized", the US is still mighty, with a lot of water between her and her allies. Unless the BWB2 meant "disarmed", instead of downsized. That would make some difference. Once the fighting starts as stated in Europe, the US will re-arm and be prepared for intervention or defense.

Yes, a kotowing president (I know I made a reference to you know whom, oh well) could make this scenario a little more likely, but once the fighting starts, he had better nut it up or he'll find himself unemployed during the next election...or sooner. Just because the President wants to negotiate and shake hands with Rome, doesn't mean the rest of the US would be willing to do so. And as soon as enemy troops set foot on US soil, all bets are off.

The use of chemical weapons should inspire a reprisal of nuclear weapons, allies or not. And the target wouldn't necessarily be the enemy troops in the field, risking the fallout scenario, but the head of the snake in Rome...or wherever he is.

Leave a comment:

• T. A. Gardner
    replied
    Italy can't even make a decently reliable car.... That isn't the stuff empires are built on....

Failed Italian Automotive Technology (FIAT)

Leave a comment:

• copenhagen
    replied
    Originally posted by Surrey View Post
    Isn't there already aa new 'Roman' empire being created in Europe anyway - the EU?
    It's the latest attempt to resurrect that old idea, yes....

Leave a comment:

• Surrey
    replied
    Isn't there already aa new 'Roman' empire being created in Europe anyway - the EU?

Leave a comment:

• Frtigern
    replied
    So where is France in all this? They just sign a treaty with Rome? What about Spain and Greece? Same story? I see any invasion across the Pacific doomed. Unless Rome can sign a mutual protection pact with Brazil, Columbia, Argentina and Venezuela. Rome should go after Eastern Europe where their equipment outdated and alliances weak. Then go for Turkey. If not diplomatically, then militarily. Then Egypt and the rest of North Africa. Once secure leave Israel alone, and focus on France, Switzerland, Austria, and Germany. Once, and if they are taken. Go for Belgium, Denmark, Netherlands, Sweden, Finland, and Norway and a focus on capturing their navies and air forces. With the combined navies of all of continental Europe, Asia Minor, North Africa and Scandanavia go for Great Britain. It will require the combined air forces of all those nations as well, perhaps help from Russia. After Great Britain is subdued, why go farther? Well Caesar always wanted to take Persia! Eliminate Iran and all those independent Caucasian countries. A trade route from the English Channel to the Persian Gulf, as well as control of trade through the Bosphorus strait, Strait of Gibraltar, Danish Straits and the Suez Canal. A lot of trade goes through there that Rome could benefit from. After this I see Rome having no need to go further, unless to take Israel, which would likely draw retaliation from the United States. Although, Arab countries would support you. Perhaps after Persia and Israel go for Babylon! AKA Iraq.

Leave a comment:

• Hida Akechi
    replied
    Ok, interesting then. Hopefully others will pipe in with some questions and ideas.

Leave a comment:

• BWB2
    replied
    The U.S. would not use nuclear weapons because of the proximity of it’s allies. There is too great a risk fallout would reach Germany or the U.K. and kill a sizeable portion of the population.
    The U.S. military as whole had been downsized, the way the invasion takes place circumvents that. China is neutral, and Russia has ties to Rome through a former general who runs a mercenary army they employ. I hope that helps.
    You are correct about the kowtowing.

Leave a comment:

• Hida Akechi
    replied
    Okay, that's a little better. Thank you for the update and response.

But don't forget that if chemical and biological weapons are used, against the US, the retaliation will be nuclear. And those kind of weapons are nigh useless against the US Fleet, which is a pretty damned good buffer against any potential invading enemy...even if the invasion take place in Mexico, which is in range of every US weapon and warship.

Where are Russia and the Chinese in all of this?

OH and let me add that as strange as it may sound, I don't find it unbelievable that there would be political leaders in the US that want to kowtow to some one like your big Roman baddie. Heck, we probably have one in office at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• BWB2
    replied
    The main culprits that lead to the events in the book are economic collapse and terrorism. Most of the nations in Europe have enacted austerity measures leading to riots and near anarchy. In Italy the state of the government is so precarious most of the citizens have lost trust in it. A terrorist attack on the government kills most of its members, leaving the highest ranking official a General in the Italian Army. He drives out the terrorists and restores order, making him a hero to millions. The public is so grateful, and because of his charisma, he gains unparalleled power. He uses the political capital he has gained to follow his dream of a new Roman Empire. Most of Europe admires him and when he offers “protection” they take it. With regards to the U.S. they go after Rome along with Germany and the U.K. because they see the threat to them. Rome uses chemical and biological weapons on its enemies and defeats them. The result is seen in the U.S. elections where incumbents are swept out in favor of those who would seek a treaty with Rome. Mexico is in a horrible state and is no obstacle for Rome, who uses it as a springboard into the U.S. and thus the southwest being taken. There is more to it than that but I don’t want to give too much away

Leave a comment:

• Hida Akechi
    replied
    Without reading the book yet, can you give a bit more details as to WHY these amazing events happened?

It's hard to see Europe bowing to one single person. That's been tried before and I think the Euros might have learned their lesson by now.

And as for the US not being able to defend it's own territory against a chaotic Europe in the throws of a civil war...how does that happen? How do the NuRomans get to the US Southwest and do what they do unhindered? What went so terrbily wrong in the US that it loses land like this?

I like a good fiction military story and have nothing against your attempt, but the best ones need to be rooted in real-world facts and logic.

Leave a comment:

• BWB2
    started a topic Return of the Roman Empire

Return of the Roman Empire

I wrote a book about the return of the Roman Empire in the near future. Here is a description of the book: Near the middle of the 21st century, Europe descends into chaos- Italy suffers most of all. Terrorist attacks and a collapsed economy lead to anarchy, leaving Italy powerless to stop an invasion from hostile forces bent on its destruction. A young General rises to defeat the invaders and fulfill his vision of becoming Caesar and reviving the Roman Empire. Europe bows to him, and those who do not are conquered. The United States defies the new Emperor and has the Southwest taken. A former gun slinging outlaw, a U.S. Senator, a Green Beret who shouldn't be alive, a sharp-shooter and a Deposed Monarch lead an unconventional group that is all that stands between Rome and world domination. Meanwhile, in Rome, Cesarís daughter is caught between loyalty to her father and using the new power she is given to do what she knows is right. Can the march of Rome be stopped in time, or will the world be ruled by the Dux-Imperatorius?

The book is available for Kindle and nook. I thought that it would be of interest to the members of this site. I would value any feedback you could give me on the book. I hope you enjoy it.

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X