The Wars We May Not Miss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Wars We May Not Miss

This technically isn't alternate history, but I couldn't think of anywhere else in the forums to post it...

Just as a thought experiment, what do you think are the four or five regional or global wars we are most likely to see in the next five or ten years? U.S. vs. Iran? China vs. Japan? Turkey vs. Syria? Indonesia vs. Australia? Russia vs. the E.U.? Iran vs. the U.A.E.?

Which nations will be involved in these wars? What might cause them to come to blows? What do you think are the likely outcomes, both military and political?

I remember a thread like this.

China vs Japan? Indonesia vs Australia? Iran vs UAE? Am I just out of the loop for global hot spots and brinkmanship? These don't seem very likely. (I'm not trying to be condescending, if it comes across that way-sorry)

I could see Syria vs Turkey. Turkey would probably win although who knows how it'd turn out for them after that.

Perhaps North vs South Korea with the US getting involved. Others may possibly get dragged in.
    "A foolish man thinks he knows everything if placed in unexpected difficulty; but he knows not what to answer, if to the test he is put."

--Hávamál

Comment

Originally posted by Super Six 4 View Post
      I remember a thread like this.

China vs Japan? Indonesia vs Australia? Iran vs UAE? Am I just out of the loop for global hot spots and brinkmanship? These don't seem very likely. (I'm not trying to be condescending, if it comes across that way-sorry)

I could see Syria vs Turkey. Turkey would probably win although who knows how it'd turn out for them after that.

Perhaps North vs South Korea with the US getting involved. Others may possibly get dragged in.
      Some of the possibilities were just tossed out to help people get the creative juices flowing.

China and Japan, Indonesia and Australia, and Iran and UAE all have had territorial disputes in the past, some of them still unresolved (e.g., the Senkaku Islands)...but I have no idea how likely it is that these might actually turn into a war.

To me, China is worrisome...they're flexing their muscles, strong in a way they've never been strong before as a nation, getting their first carrier and all that, and they may believe they're in the right, too, so that when push comes to shove they won't back down. There are a bunch of territorial disputes other countries have with China over certain islands (and the associated EEZs) that might turn into a war.

Comment

India vs Pakistan round 3 is always a possibility. Started by another terrorist attack originating in Pakistan.

Comment

I expect that the Christmas copies and other special issues of 'the Economist' and similar magazines will be full of this sort of potential conflict areas we should watch.

Normally the World Economic Forum scheduled to take place in Davos at the beginning of 2013 devotes many a panel and workshop to the same issue.
          BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

Originally posted by Mgellis View Post
            Some of the possibilities were just tossed out to help people get the creative juices flowing.

China and Japan, Indonesia and Australia, and Iran and UAE all have had territorial disputes in the past, some of them still unresolved (e.g., the Senkaku Islands)...but I have no idea how likely it is that these might actually turn into a war.

To me, China is worrisome...they're flexing their muscles, strong in a way they've never been strong before as a nation, getting their first carrier and all that, and they may believe they're in the right, too, so that when push comes to shove they won't back down. There are a bunch of territorial disputes other countries have with China over certain islands (and the associated EEZs) that might turn into a war.
            Ah ok, didn't know about those disputes.
            "A foolish man thinks he knows everything if placed in unexpected difficulty; but he knows not what to answer, if to the test he is put."

--Hávamál

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X