The day after 9/11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The day after 9/11

Another thread got me thinking. What would you as President done the day of and the day after 9/11?

Me?

I would have told the nation "If you have a military ID card report to the nearest military installation." I would have immediately mobilized for a major all out war. "If you have a service obiligation, reserve, national guard, individual ready reserve, report!"
    I would have mobilized millions for 90 days minimum. I would want the world to take a collective $h!+ as the US mobilizes for total global war against their attackers. I'd want countries like Pakistan to say effectively "We need to kill every Taliban and al Quieda member in sight before the US comes and slags our country gratitutiously....

I would have wanted the world to fear and tremble before the US, willing to give up those that did 9/11 just to save themselves.

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    Another thread got me thinking. What would you as President done the day of and the day after 9/11?

Me?

I would have told the nation "If you have a military ID card report to the nearest military installation." I would have immediately mobilized for a major all out war. "If you have a service obiligation, reserve, national guard, individual ready reserve, report!"
    I would have mobilized millions for 90 days minimum. I would want the world to take a collective $h!+ as the US mobilizes for total global war against their attackers. I'd want countries like Pakistan to say effectively "We need to kill every Taliban and al Quieda member in sight before the US comes and slags our country gratitutiously....

I would have wanted the world to fear and tremble before the US, willing to give up those that did 9/11 just to save themselves.
    Looks like the 4000 Saudi princes comfortable existence is over.

Comment

Don't you think that is a little extreme.

Comment

(...)
        Those were dead the day after 9/11 -

Better question would be what would you have done the years before 9/11.

Short answer:

Shifted about a quarter of the military spending into intelligence and police, personally warned the SA princes that if as much as a wrong parked camel ever pissed me off their reign was over and Mecca would become the next chapter of disneyland
        Major Atticus Finch - ACW Rainbow Game.

Comment

I would have told the pilot to take me to DC and land the plane.

Calling up millions of men and woman to report? Were do they report, sleep, eat and train? Were are the people to train them, were do all these weapons come from over night?
          "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

9/11. Close the airspace and put it on alert. Get to the White House or the nearest possible C & C center and start assessing the situation and where to go from there. No definitive plans.

September 12. Address the nation. Call for a state of memorial and warn against "retaliatory" hate crimes. Work on the response: disaster relief to New York city and getting back passengers grounded in Canada or overseas.

September 13. Start talking to friends, allies and enemies. Make sure Pakistan and Saudi Arabia understand the situation - zero tolerance. Consult with staff and generals to consider a military response.
            You, the mothers, who sent their sons from faraway countries wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace, after having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well.

-- Ataturk

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
              I would have told the pilot to take me to DC and land the plane.

Calling up millions of men and woman to report? Were do they report, sleep, eat and train? Were are the people to train them, were do all these weapons come from over night?
              America did it before, we can do it again. The US had less infrastructure for WW 1 and 2 but we managed to call up millions overnight. And, yes it is extreme but that is what I would be aiming for. More dead than Pearl Harbor and we don't respond in a completely outraged manner? Unacceptable to me.

Comment

America did it before, we can do it again. The US had less infrastructure for WW 1 and 2 but we managed to call up millions overnight. And, yes it is extreme but that is what I would be aiming for. More dead than Pearl Harbor and we don't respond in a completely outraged manner? Unacceptable to me.
                So what happens to the US economy when you yank all these millions of people out of their jobs "overnight"? Who's going to fill their places?
                The difference between WW 1 and WW 2 was that those wars had been going on for a time without direct US involvement but with enough time to give the US time to plan for what they would do if/when the US was involved in those conflicts. And many of the higher ups in the US government and military were thinking about US involvement in World War One and Two prior to it happening. There was some planning already in place. 9/11 was a surprise (arguments about intelligence failures aside).

Comment

This mass mobilisation of troops. Who are they going to attack. Iraq? Oh hang on.....

Comment

It took me four hours to travel ten miles and get through security to get to work. When I arrived at my office my dumb boss asked me why I came in.

To answer your question nothing.
                    My worst jump story:
                    My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
                    As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
                    No lie.

~
                    "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
                    -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

America and the vast majority of the planet earth *were* outraged by the 9/11 attacks but the OTL facts are still the same. Other than Afghanistan who do you attack?

The actions and methods used against Afghanistan were not objected to by anyone but those under the bombs and shells. Where the US made its mistake was in other actions that eroded support and, more importantly, took the eyes off the real target.

Full mobilisation would have required massive tax increases. Modern warfare is very much "come as you are" because everything is more technically advanced, expensive and available in smaller numbers. An F-22 is not a P-51. An M1 is not a Sherman. And the industrial capacity to support a 1940 style increase in capacity simply no longer exists.
                      The Purist

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

Comment

I'd attack Al Qaeda in Afghanistan with multiple Special Forces units, and withdraw once every Al Qaeda operative in the country has been killed.

No occupation. No attempt at nation building. No attempt to transform Afghanistan into a democratic state with liberal, western-style values.

Philip
                        "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."— Bertrand Russell

Comment

I still have to laugh at all the flag wavers that have forgot about that day.
                          My worst jump story:
                          My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
                          As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
                          No lie.

~
                          "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
                          -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

On the 12th, B52s, B1s, B2s, F15Es would be paying visits to the capital cities of Pakistan, Iran, Iraq, Syria, Libya, Saudi Arabia and every other terrorist supporting nation out there. I'm with Mr Gardner. 9/11 was worse than Pearl. There would be Hell to pay. The message would be simple: You want terror, well here it comes!
                            ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

I would have closed our airspace to all. No special deals letting Saudis leave the country or have jets flying around the country to pick them up. NO Badar Bush for this Prez.
                              "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X