No announcement yet.

Your Name is Jimmy Carter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Bomb, bomb, bomb, bomb bomb Iran" (sung to the tune of Barbara Ann) and "Land the landing force" from the ships offshore!
    In Vino Veritas

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
      It's Nov 1979 and your President of the US. Iran has just taken over your nations Embassy. What do you do?
      What would I do? The easiest thing possible: ship the Shah back to Iran in exchange for the American hostages.

Comment

Originally posted by Skoblin View Post
        What would I do? The easiest thing possible: ship the Shah back to Iran in exchange for the American hostages.
        I like it Sko
        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

I like it Sko
          Somewhat despairing, John, that six pages of responses and most of the solutions offered would simply end up with the hostages being killed. The main reason why the hostages were taken was enmity towards the US for supporting the Shah, compounded by the decision to admit the Shah into the US in late October 1979. An idiotic decision for whom the US has Henry Kissinger and David Rockefeller to thank. Two weeks later, the hostages were taken.

Comment

Somewhat despairing, John, that six pages of responses and most of the solutions offered would simply end up with the hostages being killed. The main reason why the hostages were taken was enmity towards the US for supporting the Shah, compounded by the decision to admit the Shah into the US in late October 1979. An idiotic decision for whom the US has Henry Kissinger and David Rockefeller to thank. Two weeks later, the hostages were taken.
            The thing is the US wasn't up to such an exchange regardless how sound it may sound.
            "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

The thing is the US wasn't up to such an exchange regardless how sound it may sound.
              Then Carter has only himself to blame. His own state department IIRC warned him against admitting the Shah into the US, since they believed it would simply inflame emotions in Iran. They were right.

Comment

Good point but the point is you do not mess with diplomacy. ie embassies ambassadors and such. Taking hostages automactically makes you a war criminal and a Govt that condons it equally guilty. So basically Iran should of been treated that way.

Also ask why they did not take the Soviet Embassy instead they did not have the shah but they wanted to but thought it not a good idea

Comment

that would not of worked they also demanded numerous apologies from the US and no way that one was going to happen.

Comment

It's Nov 1979 and your President of the US. Iran has just taken over your nations Embassy. What do you do?
                    Hello 1/2 Pint.
                    How ya doin?
                    To be honest, I would do probably what Jimmy Carter did.
                    Try to free the hostages.
                    The plan seemed sound to me.
                    Happy New year to you, and all that post here.
                    "Advances in technology tend to overwhelm me."

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X