Attack of the 94th Guards MRD 6 JUN 1985

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attack of the 94th Guards MRD 6 JUN 1985

I am playing the massive Danube Front '85 Germany campaign against an old army buddy. If you haven't seen this it is uber large and uber detailed and a chore to do one turn, and I am on the attack - moving like 5 Armies a BN at a time. Each turn is 3 hours. I have just finished my moves in the north and while I am preparing for my Fulda and Danube front moves (each front takes me a day to complete - so almost 3 days for a single 3 hour turn!) I've set up a screen shot of what looks like the first set battle in the north.

I have chosen (poorly?) to have my main effort go through the American sector at the Fulda Gap, so in the north there will be a lesser effort. Attacking to Hamburg is an attempt to divert forces to the north. 2 DDR divisions and 2 Polish divisions will be attacking Hamburg and sealing off Denmark and I am sending 1 Guards Division to aid them and screen Hamburg from counter attack while they assault the city.

Shortly after crossing the inter-German border the 94th Guards MRD has made contact with an estimated brigade sized FRG force defending Luneburg and Geesthatch. On top of the mech infantry there is seemingly a DIVCAV troop screening for the brigade, I have already nearly wiped out one of the screening platoons and several AT assets. No luck finding the DIVARTY as of yet.

If you take a look at the graphics I have posted, let me know of any courses of action you could suggest for this situation. I have allocated 3 flights of SU-25s and 3 Flights of SU-17s to the division, and they do have a squadron of Mi-24, but there are only 6 helicopters FMC at this time.

I will use the best course of action suggested and post the results when they occur. It is important that I keep the division at as high of a strength as possible, but Luneburg must be taken and not bypassed as it is an objective given by higher.

Oh, and I made a typo that should be 74th Guards Tank Regiment not 94th. Also made a typo with the date it is the 10th not the 16th. Jeez.

Last edited by Stryker 19K30; 14 Nov 12, 14:03.
    Кто там?
    Это я - Почтальон Печкин!
    Tunis is a Carthigenian city!

hey stryker just saw this are you still playing it

Comment

I would suggest you:

Push the 288th MRR NW towards the Neetze Canal and swing around the Germans with them.

Move the 204th due north. This deploys two regiments in line against the German position and gives you the opportunity to both pin and flank them.

The weak AT units two your west can be dealt with by the 286th that can form a reserve for the division.

The 94th GTR needs to get out of the line and go entirely into reserve. It should be ready to exploit a breakthrough of the German position and head north as a exploitation unit.

Have the Poles continue NW and concentrate to form a second threat to the German position.

Comment

Do you get any Airmobile, Airborne or Spetsnaz assets? How about NBC assets? You could drop them behind the German lines and seize some bridges. Would you lose much time by bypassing the two towns?

Nato has to stop you, you don't have to destroy every Nato unit you find.

Pruitt
        Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
          I would suggest you:

Push the 288th MRR NW towards the Neetze Canal and swing around the Germans with them.

Move the 204th due north. This deploys two regiments in line against the German position and gives you the opportunity to both pin and flank them.

The weak AT units two your west can be dealt with by the 286th that can form a reserve for the division.

The 94th GTR needs to get out of the line and go entirely into reserve. It should be ready to exploit a breakthrough of the German position and head north as a exploitation unit.

Have the Poles continue NW and concentrate to form a second threat to the German position.
          There is a full Battlion in Lunesburg not sure if the 286 would be enough to deal with them

The 94 might be best used to back track and come at Lunesburg from the South with the 286 doing most of the heavy lifting and the 94 cleaning up and then moving north

Comment

Originally posted by craven View Post
            There is a full Battlion in Lunesburg not sure if the 286 would be enough to deal with them

The 94 might be best used to back track and come at Lunesburg from the South with the 286 doing most of the heavy lifting and the 94 cleaning up and then moving north
            Luneburg isn't the immediate objective. All the 286th has to do is hold the shoulder. The Germans will move when the 288th flanks them to the north. This is one of those swamp and alligator things. Drain the swamp first, then deal with the alligators.

Count on the 21st GMRD to cut off their retreat south or west. Force the Germans to fall back to the north west or face defeat in detail with a battalion facing most of a division with all its support elements.

If you need to take Luneburg rather than just let the Germans fall back and abandon it you are in a far better position to hit them with two full regiments and a tank regiment than trying with just one.
            Last edited by T. A. Gardner; 24 Nov 12, 10:18.

Comment

I'm getting back to this, in the last turn the Germans have delivered some Arty emplaced minefields that should hinder my advance, I have a suspicion that it is to slow me to cover for a withdrawal. Though it seems that they are abandoning the AT units and even their mixed Leo/Marder DIVCAV units.

Obviously they have Artillery assets in the area that I must make a priority to find.

In regards to what TA posted, he is correct Luneburg is not the immediate objective, but it is important as The main MSR goes right through it. It is imperative to the attack on Hamburg. The Division's over all objective is to facilitate opening and securing the MSR.
              Кто там?

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
                Do you get any Airmobile, Airborne or Spetsnaz assets? How about NBC assets? You could drop them behind the German lines and seize some bridges. Would you lose much time by bypassing the two towns?

Nato has to stop you, you don't have to destroy every Nato unit you find.

Pruitt
                At this point Only Army Level commanders can release NBC weapons (I have P Chem, NP Chem, and tactical nukes) but I am not willing to use them at this point because It will allow NATO to and move closer to a global thermonuclear war scenario term.

Airmobile and Airborne units are all being used at the Army level seizing bridgeheads supporting the attack, and we have one Spteznaz unit attached, it is that brown one, it is a company of Spetznaz in BMDs. They are an Army asset that I have attached to the division command.
                Кто там?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X