England is defeated in the Falklands War 1982

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• England is defeated in the Falklands War 1982

What if during the Falklands War Great Britain had been unsuccessful in its attempt to regain the islands from Argentina and had to withdrawal their task force. What could have been the subsequent chain of events?

http://www.greatmilitarybattles.com/...d_islands.html

Death bed last words. Always pay the army - Septimius Severus

The Argentine military dictatorship would have tightened its grip on the country at first. But when you look at the ruinous condition of the Argentine economy those years, it does not look like the Argentine military would last that long in power.

The Argentines have always had a fascination with strong dictators. Juan Manuel Rosas, Urquiza, Leopoldo Galtieri, Juan Domingo Perón and Jorge Videla among others. Politically and economically that country was a mess and still is today. They have the resources but simply have not installed a social organization which can exploit them for the benefit of everyone.
    Last edited by Nickuru; 11 Nov 12, 10:08. Reason: addition
    When looking for the reason why things go wrong, never rule out stupidity, Murphy's Law Nº 8
    Those who do not remember history are doomed to repeat it. George Santayana
    "Ach du schwein" a German parrot captured at Bukoba GEA the only prisoner taken

Comment

Thatchers government falls in 83 or a the the least she has to go within the party. Micheal Foot becomes PM. The unions get a tighter control again with the economic mess that will deliver, our nuclear deterent is on the line. Reagan no longer has as strong ally in terms of pushing the Soviets, instead having a UK premier who is sypmathetic to the Russians...

Comment

http://video.search.yahoo.com/video/...sigb=121j94ikl
        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Classic

Comment

Originally posted by copenhagen View Post
            Thatchers government falls in 83 or a the the least she has to go within the party. Micheal Foot becomes PM. The unions get a tighter control again with the economic mess that will deliver, our nuclear deterent is on the line. Reagan no longer has as strong ally in terms of pushing the Soviets, instead having a UK premier who is sypmathetic to the Russians...
            This economic picture is almost certainly untrue. The reason is that, regardless of party in power, GDP per Capita has risen constantly since the 60's.

Losing the deterent would save monies, and perhaps lose GB political standing on the world stage.
            How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
            Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
              This economic picture is almost certainly untrue. The reason is that, regardless of party in power, GDP per Capita has risen constantly since the 60's.

Losing the deterent would save monies, and perhaps lose GB political standing on the world stage.
              Our economy in the 1970's was a mess. Foot getting in 83 would have re-asserted that trend and the union power that had started to be challenged... I'm not having this revisionsim about the land of milke and honey of the 1970's that Thatcher destroyed. Its utter

Comment

Originally posted by ITALICA ONE View Post
                What if during the Falklands War Great Britain had been unsuccessful in its attempt to regain the islands from Argentina and had to withdrawal their task force. What could have been the subsequent chain of events?

England wasn't involved in the Falklands war.
                Indyref2 - still, "Yes."

Comment

Originally posted by the ace View Post
                  England wasn't involved in the Falklands war.
                  So only Scottish and Welsh troops were committed?

I know what you're pointing out with England instead of Britain and such, but whatever.
                  Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
                  And sorry I could not travel both
                  And be one traveler, long I stood
                  Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
                  I took the one less traveled by,
                  And that has made all the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Duke Maynard View Post
                    So only Scottish and Welsh troops were committed?

I know what you're pointing out with England instead of Britain and such, but whatever.
                    Don't worry.He has a bag of chips on his shoulder...

Comment

Funny video but I just didn't get the connection.
                      "I think I understand what military fame is; to be killed on the field of battle and have your name misspelled in the newspapers." William Tecumseh Sherman

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Torrance View Post
                        Funny video but I just didn't get the connection.
                        I sure the video's meaning is , the British would come back for the Islands again and again and again.

Comment

Originally posted by ITALICA ONE View Post
                          I sure the video's meaning is , the British would come back for the Islands again and again and again.

Of course! Thanks
                          "I think I understand what military fame is; to be killed on the field of battle and have your name misspelled in the newspapers." William Tecumseh Sherman

Comment

Originally posted by copenhagen View Post
                            Don't worry.He has a bag of chips on his shoulder...
                            Of course I do, that doesn't excuse getting the name of my country wrong.

While my views on the UK are well known, people should, at least make the effort to get its name right.
                            Indyref2 - still, "Yes."

Comment

Originally posted by the ace View Post
                              Of course I do, that doesn't excuse getting the name of my country wrong.

While my views on the UK are well known, people should, at least make the effort to get its name right.
                              I love the passion Haggis Bashers have for their patch of dirt.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X