Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heligoland - The Boil on The Kaiser's Bum ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heligoland - The Boil on The Kaiser's Bum ??

Riiight - All of you Guys

I am kind of "revisting" a Theme which was started on another Forum Site.

I used to be a Contributor to the "Alternative History Discussion Board" - which is another Site.

Here, the proposal was put forward that Bitain had aquired Heligoland - NOT Germany. I cannot remember the details - but I think it had something to do with the British Royal Family, and Dynastic Lands.

Anyway - this was roughly the idea, and the early part of the developing Alt Timeline.
    The Island of Heligoland was British Teritory from the early to mid 1800's - there was a large "Colony" there from that time onwards, with Allegiance to the British Crown. During and during the build-up to WW I it was garrisoned by British Navy, with several large long-range Naval Guns( a bit like an earlier equivalent to the Batteries of Hitler's "Atlantic Wall" ), with undergound shelters, a useable Port and Docks, a Seaplane Base, and later Submarine Base.
    From 1914 onwards - this Base was maintained by the British, reinforced where necessary.

This became an absolute PAIN IN THE BUTT to Kaiser Wilhelm - to put it mildly. Thus "The Boil on The Kaiser's Bum".
    The Naval Guns on Heligoland could shell any threatening German Forces, attempting to assult Heligoland from the low lying and marshy lands of the North German Coast.
    The Germans could never bring-up equivalent Heavy Artillery to so serious damage to Heligoland - because of the low-lying and marshy nature of the lands on the coast. Heligoland was bombed quite badly by the Germans - but although many women and children were evacuated to Britain, the Combatants and menfolk stayed to resist the attacks by the German Aircraft. They could shelter in undergound shelters during bombing raids, and the Guns were hard to damage as they were in solidly built Casemates and Turrets.
    The Heligoland Batteries could shell Troops on the North German Coast, they could also shell German Warships or Shipping trying to us the "safe channels" in the offshore coastal waters. Also Torpedoes launched from the Bases on Heligoland made approach by Warships very dangerous.
    The Heligoland Submarines could also attack German Warships and German Shipping.
    The Seaplanes from Heligoland could attack and Bomb German Ports like Bremerhaven and Wilhelmshaven - and possibly reach Hamburg. They could certainly hit German Warships or Shipping in the Jade and the Wesser.

Now - I am only putting up this Proposal, from Memory.
    I have not visited the Alternative History Site since over a year ago - everyone there just kept making fun of my Alternative History for a "Third World War".
    The Thread is actually at -

http://www.alternatehistory.com/disc...d.php?t=169824

Note - I am NOT trying to "Poach" Members from this Site, to join another Site.
    G.M. - Sci Fi Game - the "Krissyverse"
    Darius Jarvinger - Prime Minister of The Phoenix Confederation
    Kris Martins - President of Attican Republic
    Kaar Kristoff - Minister of Interior of The Phoenix Confederation

There was recently an extremely good TV programme on Heligoland.

If my memory serves me right the Island was ceded to Britain by Denmark, possible after the Wars with Napoleon.

At the Congress of Berlin during the carve up of Africa 1881, Britain and Germany did a trade - Heligoland was given to Germany in exchange for Zanzibar to the British.

Comment

Originally posted by Scupio View Post

If my memory serves me right the Island was ceded to Britain by Denmark, possible after the Wars with Napoleon.

At the Congress of Berlin during the carve up of Africa 1881, Britain and Germany did a trade - Heligoland was given to Germany in exchange for Zanzibar to the British.
      Thanks - I was not sure about the origin.
      Presumably - the Alt Timeline was that this "swap" was never made.

And from that - the Alternative History kinda "rolled" on its own, leading to the strange position in an Alt WWI.
      G.M. - Sci Fi Game - the "Krissyverse"
      Darius Jarvinger - Prime Minister of The Phoenix Confederation
      Kris Martins - President of Attican Republic
      Kaar Kristoff - Minister of Interior of The Phoenix Confederation

Comment

The repeated and heavy use of poison gas puts an end to the Island garrison and the Germans occupy it with little or no loss.
        Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

Comment

Originally posted by Scupio View Post

Not quite, Heligoland (German :Helgoland) was swapped in 1890 for extensive Germany holdings in East Africa. It was believed in Whitehall at the time that the island would be difficult to defend

Bismark, I think, called the transaction: "Trousers for a button", But, in retrospect, I think that Germany got the better of the deal.
          "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
          Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X