Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Different Kind of War

A Different kind of War – An Unusual Scenario

Now – occasionally, new Threads appear with suggestions such as “The Zulus versus the SAS – what would happen ?”, or “The German Army of World War I versus the U.S. Marines of the 21 st Century – how would it go ?”.
    These are usually somewhat “tongue in cheek” suggestions, perhaps offered to provide a humorous view of Alternate History or even a less serious approach to considering Warfare or Fighting Tactics.

Now – suppose that I were to suggest a different kind of Scenario along those kind of lines – but intending it to be taken seriously, in some ways.

First – let me say that I mean no disrespect to any Nation or its Peoples, nor to any Groups of People. There is no intent in this “essay” to disparage or insult any Nation nor its Peoples – and I do not wish to imply that any of this is possible or likely, and certainly I do not intend to imply that it is in any way desirable.
    If any Readers find this Offensive – then I am truly sorry, as I have no intent whatsoever to create any offence, not to insult anyone.
    I am using the Examples given and the references to known Nations, simply to give an idea of the “disparity” in Technology between the two “sides” on the one hand, and the “disparity” in Populations and Resources on the other hand.

Imagine a very large Nation, ruled by a Hereditary Monarchy of Emperors or absolute dictators – with its whole social structure being primarily feudal, and with Technologies ( and Weapons ) no more advanced than those of Russia in 1914, and Armies no more modern than the Russian Army in 1914 in all respects. This would have a land area and total Population equivalent in size to Russia in 1914.
    Let us call this Nation – SARINA.

Take another much smaller Nation - but with a Parliamentary Democracy, Technologies ( and Weapons ) similar to the U.K. in 2012, and a Modern Army similar in structure and organisation similar to that of the U.K. in 2012 – but capable of being enlarged considerably in the case of a Total War situation.
    Let us call this Nation – DEMOKA.

SARINA
    In this fictional Nation of Sarina - unbelievably extreme Racial Theories have grown and developed, and become accepted and believed by Emperor and the vast majority of the People. These beliefs state that all Non-Slavic People are inferior – worse, that all Non-Slavic People are not just Sub-Human, but NOT Human at all.
    From this belief – a Policy gradually develops, that all other Peoples, all other Nations should be Conquered. Their People should be Subjugated and Enslaved – and any who resist should simply be killed, en masse if necessary. No independent inferior people should be allowed to exist.
    Sarina then begins to Attack and Invade all of the peaceful Nations on its borders, Subjugating and Enslaving its people, and killing all who resist. One by one, these Nations fall – and all of their people are exploited as slave labour, all of their resources are stolen and exploited.

DEMOKA
    Demoka maintains a policy of Isolation from all of this International Turmoil – until the day when the Armies of Sarina stand almost on its border.
    Then Sarina issues its usual Ultimatum – “Surrender to our superior forces, or be Conquered and Enslaved”.
    Demoka decides to resist – and realises that if it is to survive, it must try to enlist the help of any remaining Free Nations, in Alliance against this monstrous threat.

Now – to some of you this may seem a possible Scenario for a War Game. To others, it will simply seem silly or ridiculous.

I would like you all to consider the general situation – for although there is no actual War Game based on this Scenario, there is a War Game currently running, which is similar to this, but with some differences.

First – it is set some 118 years in the future from the present time. The momentous year of 2130. In that year – Humanity discovered the Fast Interstellar Drive, FTL ( Faster Than Light ) Drive – and began Colonising deserted Planets in nearby Star Systems. Two years later they first encountered the Enemy – and WAR began.

Second – the monstrous Empire equivalent to Sarina is an Empire of really ALIEN Aliens – who regard all other Species as beneath contempt, suitable only to be Slaves or to be exterminated. They have already Conquered 60% of this Galaxy, but there are many other Star Systems which they have not yet Conquered or even found.
    We do not know what these people call themselves or their Empire – but we call them the Zetans.

Third - the Alliance of Free Nations is a Confederation of self-governing Dominions – comprising Star Systems colonised by Humans, and Star Systems colonised by friendly Alien Peoples who have joined in Alliance with us.
    This is called The Phoenix Confederation.

This Game has been running since February 2011 – and it is now at the “Stardate” of April 2138. Yes, we are still at WAR – a kind of slow and long-range kind of War, which has not prevented us from expanding, developing more powerful Weapons, and new Technologies.

The “disparities” remain the major facts in this WAR –

The Zetans and their Empire have conquered many Star Systems, with unknown countless numbers of Planets ( we do no know how many ), and unknown numbers of subjugated Enslaved Species of Intelligent Peoples.
    The Confederation now has 34 Star Systems – Colonised by Humans, and Peopled by Friendly Aliens.

However - the Technologies of the Zetans are much less advanced than ours, including Weapons Technologies, Defences and Armour. They have very primitive forms of Electronics, as they themselves are actually easily hurt or killed by all Radio Frequencies and any Higher Frequencies. This has seriously limited and slowed their development of Radio, Telecomms, and Radar. They have an advantage in Communications, however.
    They are all “drone” creatures or “hive” creatures – like Ants or Bees, ruled and directed by a central Intelligence, by some form of instant Telepathy. We believe that this central intelligence, the Imperator, may be a different form of creature – and that there may be some more local Intelligences, though of lesser importance.

The Confederation has more advanced Technologies – Radars in the near-light Frequencies, Very Fast FTL ( the Zetans have this ), and a Super Fast FTL ( the Zetans do not have ), Ultra Radio – which travels faster than Light.
    We have the same Weapons as the Zetans – Railguns, Thermonuclear Missiles, Lasers. But we also have Neutron Pulse Cannons, Stellar Cannons, Photon Guns and Photon Torpedoes.
    Other Technologies we have ( not the Zetans ) include Nuclear Fusion Powerplants, in a tremendous range of sizes and powers, Energy Shields, Super-Hard Armour, Full Gravity Control ( including Negative Gravity ), access to Anti-Matter, and Wormhole Technology.
    Some of these we are improving, and new Technologies are “in the pipeline”.

We have a number of Players in this Game – representing the different Dominions of Human Colonisation, and of Friendly Alien Colonies.

A Player for the Zetans

We do NOT have anyone willing to take on the role of the Imperator of the Zetans.

The problem is that the Player who takes on this role will have to work within the constraints of the Game – the Technological Limitations, the Logistic Limitations of an Empire which is so vast and so disparate, and the resultant Limitations implicit in an Empire which has to keep control of countless Multi-Millions of Enslaved Peoples.

The aim of the Game is to KEEP GOING.
    Many would argue that the Zetans could “squash us like bugs” in a few Months.
    This would mean that the Game would be over in no time at all – and so would be pointless.

The Phoenix Confederation is expanding and developing - The Zetan “Empire” may be expanding ( we do not know about this ), but seems to be developing more slowly.

There have been Battles with the Zetans in the last 12 Months – and there will be more Battles in the future.
    Generally, the “exchange rate” between Fleets is always in favour of the Confederation – but the Zetans can build more Ships than the Confederation.
    The worst Battle for the Confederation was fairly recent, and the result of a Zetan “Trap” - and this resulted in an “exchange rate” of Seven Zetan Ships to each one of the Confederation. However, the Confederation lost a lot of Ships in that Battle.

I AM the Game Master – but, I am also a Player – which means that I do not know what the Zetans are doing.

IF we can find a Player to represent the Zetans, and to work within these Limitations – then the War side of the Game can move ahead.

There are a number of Limitations which apply to BOTH SIDES – such as an outright BAN on Chemical and Biological Warfare, as it is generally understood.

There are Limitations which apply to the Confederation – generally “Green” Rules, and Anti-Slavery Rules. These include Maximum Population restrictions and the protection and preservation of existing Ecologies and existing Life-Forms.

Other Players

We are expanding the Confederation – and we may find more Planets inhabited by Humanoid Peoples, or we may find more Planets inhabited by other Intelligent Beings ( Friendly Aliens ) – however, there is not much point in FINDING such Peoples, if we have no Player to take on the task of representing them.

So – we need Players for these Roles.

We have a number of Colonies which are expanding – and it is intended in the future to turn some of these into Self-Governing Dominions, within The Phoenix Confederation.
    However – to create more Dominions, we will need Players to take on the task of Dominion Presidents.

So – we need Players for these Roles.

We also need more Players to direct the Actions of the growing number of Fleets in the Confederation, and belonging to the different Dominions.

For Information – this Game is running in the Science Fiction Sub-Forum.

Anyone who is interested – just ask me, by P.M.
    Any or all Enquiries will be answered politely.
    G.M. - Sci Fi Game - the "Krissyverse"
    Darius Jarvinger - Prime Minister of The Phoenix Confederation
    Kris Martins - President of Attican Republic
    Kaar Kristoff - Minister of Interior of The Phoenix Confederation

You will enjoy it. I am President Theodore W. Featherstone, Sr.
    Of New Byzantium. We welcome all.
    This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

This sounds really cool, but I've never really played a war game like this so I would need a ton of help.
      May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't - General George S Patton

RIP Karakris - Onwards and Upwards

Comment

Originally posted by United We Stand View Post
        This sounds really cool, but I've never really played a war game like this so I would need a ton of help.
        That shouldn't be a problem considering the scope of this game I'd say this is a perfect place to learn -

Fleet size has risen up to 15 000+ ships or so - whichever side you choose you can easily blow up a few in practice battles without anyone really noticing
        Lambert of Montaigu - Crusader.

Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

Comment

You can get a lot of Help from all of the current Players.

Just let me know what Role you would like to have a go at.
          All are welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Karakris View Post
            You can get a lot of Help from all of the current Players.

Just let me know what Role you would like to have a go at.
            All are welcome.
            Could I have a smaller friendly alien colony?

Comment

Could I have a smaller friendly alien colony?
              Okay - can definitely be arranged.
              I am proposing for this, that we find another Planet with Friendly Aliens.
              This would be Fun for you as well - allowing you to join us in a more gradual way.

Just give me a few days, coz I am up to my eyes with closing-out the current "Game Month".

Then my Scout Ships can report back, and we will have found one for you - okay.

Comment

Originally posted by Karakris View Post
                Okay - can definitely be arranged.
                I am proposing for this, that we find another Planet with Friendly Aliens.
                This would be Fun for you as well - allowing you to join us in a more gradual way.

Just give me a few days, coz I am up to my eyes with closing-out the current "Game Month".

Then my Scout Ships can report back, and we will have found one for you - okay.
                That sounds awesome thanks for letting me join up.

Comment

That sounds awesome thanks for letting me join up.
                  No problem - glad to have you

Onwards and Upwards

Comment

Kris when ever you feel like it could you PM me anything you think I need to know thanks.

Comment

Kris when ever you feel like it could you PM me anything you think I need to know thanks.
                      I will be doing that, shortly.

First suggestion - is to Read the first few Posts in the Sci Fi Game "Chat" Thread".

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...d.php?t=107957

In addition - we can discuss what "kind" of Friendly Aliens you would like to be the Leader of.

Comment

Jay, welcome aboard. I know Chris, Snowy, and I will help you.
                        This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X