Belgium accepts the ultimatum in 1914

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I doubt it -

Belgium as it exists isn't really a solid entity, differences between north and south are considerable - the ancient border between latin-"french" on the one side and catholic-"german" mentality up north is problematic as is.

A union with Holland would add the protestant influences to further complicate things.

In addition to that neither France, Britain or Germany, historically speaking was interested in a strong united Netherlands as that would be a considerable power in its own right.

Add to all of that the distinct medevial mentality of the flemish cities, who really all consider themselves worthy of being city-states in their own right and react badly to any higher authorirty - I really cannot see a Belgian-Dutch union lasting longer then a couple of decades, even if enforced at gunpoint.
    Lambert of Montaigu - Crusader.

Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

Comment

So, really there should have been eight or nine little countries across this area?

Comment

Originally posted by Carl Schwamberg View Post
        So, really there should have been eight or nine little countries across this area?
        Not sure I "get" the question - for sure the different cities, duchies and counties of modern day Belgium have a history of striving for independence dating back to roman times.

History is what is howevever, things work out pretty well as they are, yet it's by no means certain the current state of affairs will pass the test of time.

I don't know what *should* have been - since this is the alternate history board I can imagine any number of alternate outcomes of history as it happened, allowing the Germans free passage before WW I is not one of them

Did you know Leopold II contemplated an invasion of the Netherlands for while ?
        Lambert of Montaigu - Crusader.

Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X