Germany Minimised after WW2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Germany Minimised after WW2

I'm not sure if this fits the requirement for military history but if there's no interest then so be it.

What if the Bakker Schut Plan had been used :-
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_a...ker_Schut_Plan
    and Germany was not reunified.

How would this have affected the Cold War and the downfall of the Soviet Union and its Communist satellite states / friends ?
    The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. Thomas Jefferson.

Originally posted by Cosmos View Post
    I'm not sure if this fits the requirement for military history but if there's no interest then so be it.

What if the Bakker Schut Plan had been used :-
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_a...ker_Schut_Plan
    and Germany was not reunified.

How would this have affected the Cold War and the downfall of the Soviet Union and its Communist satellite states / friends ?
    Well; I've not encountered the proposal before, and think that it's interesting.

It's rather in line with proposals made after WW1 to undo Bismarck's work and split Germany into its constituent states.

I am not sure if the proposal would have received much traction after WW2 though, and The Netherlands may have found that being saddled with so much reconstruction, in addition to their own difficulties, would have been too much.

And where would the indigenous German population- those who did not wish to live under Dutch rule- be relocated ? Certainly,at the same time ,the Polish border was physically moved westward with the population being displaced : but would this action have been acceptable in the West?
    "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
    Samuel Johnson.

Comment

I think that Germany, as it was under military control, would be obliged to accept whatever terms were offered.

The Netherlands would have been able to rebuild by diverting resources from elsewhere, perhaps leading to a slower reconstruction.

As for the indigenous German population who didn't want to be under Dutch control : I expect they would have done much the same as those exiled from Poland.

I believe that the atrocities (the Holocaust) actioned by the Germans would have swayed the West to do whatever was necessary to contain any future problem.

What about the downfall of the Soviet Union et al. ? I think it would have been much less likely had Germany not been reunified.
      Last edited by Cosmos; 06 Sep 12, 02:37.
      The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. Thomas Jefferson.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
      X