Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Modern Aegis Destroyer vs WWII naval forces

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Modern Aegis Destroyer vs WWII naval forces

    This is from the Japanese Anime called Zipang. It is a bout a JMSDF Aegis Destroyer that was transported back to WWII.

    Fending off an air attack by US Navy

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9G-zfvlOQk


    Sinking USS Wasp with a Block IV tomahawk

    http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...ewthread&f=131

    Intercepting the Yamato's 18 inch shells so they won't shell US forces in Guadalcanal

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXMdP...feature=relmfu

  • #2
    Originally posted by IDonT4 View Post
    This is from the Japanese Anime called Zipang. It is a bout a JMSDF Aegis Destroyer that was transported back to WWII.

    Fending off an air attack by US Navy

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9G-zfvlOQk


    Sinking USS Wasp with a Block IV tomahawk

    http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...ewthread&f=131

    Intercepting the Yamato's 18 inch shells so they won't shell US forces in Guadalcanal

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXMdP...feature=relmfu
    Sinking the Wasp and shooting its aircraft down is believable to me. I know about intercepting the Yamato's shells though.

    Do the modern Japanese destroyers, which are as good as any on Earth, BTW, ave that capability/
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia’s Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Cyberknight View Post
      Sinking the Wasp and shooting its aircraft down is believable to me. I know about intercepting the Yamato's shells though.

      Do the modern Japanese destroyers, which are as good as any on Earth, BTW, ave that capability/
      Targetting large ballistic shells is relatively easy as opposed to shooting down sea skimming missiles. The problem I forsee is whether the warhead of a sea sparrow missiles can detonate an 18 inch shell in mid-flight. The Kongo class destroyers have anti-ballistic missile capability.

      Secondly, the JMSDF do not carry the Tomahawk missile. They do carry harpoons and the indegenous Type-90 anti-ship missile.

      Comment


      • #4
        Why would a JMSDF Aegis destroyer be trying to stop the Yamato's shells

        Regards
        "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." Churchill

        "I'm no reactionary.Christ on the Mountain! I'm as idealistic as Hell" Eisenhower

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Andy H View Post
          Why would a JMSDF Aegis destroyer be trying to stop the Yamato's shells

          Regards

          Oh come on Andy! The answer is right in front of your eyes.

          Do you know what scrap steel goes for now day?
          "Ask not what your country can do for you"

          Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

          you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by HP
            Originally posted by Andy H View Post
            Why would a JMSDF Aegis destroyer be trying to stop the Yamato's shells

            Regards

            Oh come on Andy! The answer is right in front of your eyes.

            Do you know what scrap steel goes for now day?



            On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

            ACG History Today

            BoRG

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Andy H View Post
              Why would a JMSDF Aegis destroyer be trying to stop the Yamato's shells

              Regards
              The show itself is a social commentary on modern Japanese attitudes. It asked the question of where the loyalty of the modern Japanese miltary lies: Imperial Japan or USN (its modern day ally).


              In this Yamato scene, the JMSDF destroyer inadvertently told some IJN personel on how the war progressed. So the IJN put all the stops in the Guadalcanal campaign (Yamato bombarding Henderson Field). The JMSDF destroyer does what it can to stop them.

              Here is another clip showing it avoiding a submarine torpedo attack
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5A6T_...=results_video

              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUT6Z...feature=relmfu

              Shows the superior accelaration of modern gas turbines.
              Last edited by IDonT4; 03 Aug 12, 11:50.

              Comment


              • #8
                The real question is what happens when the limited supply of munitions runs out? There will be no replinishment. One or two engagements is sufficent to make that happen.
                Virtually none of the modern equipment aboard is replicable either so there will be no making some variant for wider use either.

                One modern DD won't win a major WW 2 style naval war. The one thing I would say it is good for long term is ASW. Using its sonar and other sensors it can direct attacks on submarines with unnerving accuracy by WW 2 standards. Even retrofitted with WW 2 ASW weapons it would make a devastating platform for this work.

                The ESM, radar, and advanced optics make catching submarines on the surface much easier. Submerged and noisy as they are they are doomed against a modern sonar system.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by IDonT4 View Post
                  This is from the Japanese Anime called Zipang. It is a bout a JMSDF Aegis Destroyer that was transported back to WWII.

                  Fending off an air attack by US Navy

                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9G-zfvlOQk


                  Sinking USS Wasp with a Block IV tomahawk

                  http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...ewthread&f=131

                  Intercepting the Yamato's 18 inch shells so they won't shell US forces in Guadalcanal

                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXMdP...feature=relmfu
                  Hey thanks for the info I checked that series and liked it much, usually I hate anime, but this is good

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                    The real question is what happens when the limited supply of munitions runs out? There will be no replinishment. One or two engagements is sufficent to make that happen.
                    Virtually none of the modern equipment aboard is replicable either so there will be no making some variant for wider use either.

                    One modern DD won't win a major WW 2 style naval war. The one thing I would say it is good for long term is ASW. Using its sonar and other sensors it can direct attacks on submarines with unnerving accuracy by WW 2 standards. Even retrofitted with WW 2 ASW weapons it would make a devastating platform for this work.

                    The ESM, radar, and advanced optics make catching submarines on the surface much easier. Submerged and noisy as they are they are doomed against a modern sonar system.
                    Yes, ammo, that is real problem, btw. how about fuel, what kind of fuel oil those turbine engines burn? Can they be used with standard light fuel oil or do they need exotic additives?

                    About subs were ww2 diesel electric subs very noisy, as electric drive itself is quite quiet? Of course modern active sonar is quite capable, but how easily one can find for example ww2 US submarine by using passive sonar?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Tiberius Duval View Post
                      Yes, ammo, that is real problem, btw. how about fuel, what kind of fuel oil those turbine engines burn? Can they be used with standard light fuel oil or do they need exotic additives?

                      About subs were ww2 diesel electric subs very noisy, as electric drive itself is quite quiet? Of course modern active sonar is quite capable, but how easily one can find for example ww2 US submarine by using passive sonar?
                      Fuel isn't a problem. Those gas turbines run on JP 4 or 5. Basically it is kerosene and diesel oil. That wouldn't be a problem.

                      WW 2 subs were very noisy by modern standards. None of the electric motors had any vibration dampening meaning there is a large amount of bearing and electrical noise transmitted into the water. All those free flooding ports and other clutter topside make for cavitation and noise pockets when moving.
                      The screws are not quiet either. They cavitate and produce both prop and bearing noise.
                      The crew won't practice the sort of noise discipline modern subs routinely do either.
                      Plus, the boats can't really dive deep, captains have little or no idea about thermal layers, and would not expect an enemy destroyer to be capable of finding them at 10,000 to 20,000 yards submerged on sonar.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                        The real question is what happens when the limited supply of munitions runs out? There will be no replinishment. One or two engagements is sufficent to make that happen.
                        Virtually none of the modern equipment aboard is replicable either so there will be no making some variant for wider use either.

                        One modern DD won't win a major WW 2 style naval war. The one thing I would say it is good for long term is ASW. Using its sonar and other sensors it can direct attacks on submarines with unnerving accuracy by WW 2 standards. Even retrofitted with WW 2 ASW weapons it would make a devastating platform for this work.

                        The ESM, radar, and advanced optics make catching submarines on the surface much easier. Submerged and noisy as they are they are doomed against a modern sonar system.
                        The advantage of a single modern DDG in the early stages of WWII goes a lot further than its missiles.
                        The ship and its crew are an intelligence boon. It can tell the Axis powers:

                        1.) The Allies are reading their codes
                        2.) Exact deposition of all allied forces and operations to the exact minute
                        3.) Commentary of Axis strategic blunders (IJN subs not used for merchant shipping, not using ME 262 as fighters early on)

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by IDonT4 View Post
                          The advantage of a single modern DDG in the early stages of WWII goes a lot further than its missiles.
                          The ship and its crew are an intelligence boon. It can tell the Axis powers:

                          1.) The Allies are reading their codes
                          2.) Exact deposition of all allied forces and operations to the exact minute
                          3.) Commentary of Axis strategic blunders (IJN subs not used for merchant shipping, not using ME 262 as fighters early on)
                          Yes, but would the Axis believe or act upon this info. I doubt that Hitler would change his mind about ME 262 production even if slapped up side the head with futuristic facts.
                          The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by IDonT4 View Post
                            The advantage of a single modern DDG in the early stages of WWII goes a lot further than its missiles.
                            The ship and its crew are an intelligence boon. It can tell the Axis powers:

                            1.) The Allies are reading their codes
                            2.) Exact deposition of all allied forces and operations to the exact minute
                            3.) Commentary of Axis strategic blunders (IJN subs not used for merchant shipping, not using ME 262 as fighters early on)
                            All of that would depend on the crew's knowledge of history which could be hit or miss....

                            Now, on the up side the manuals and other documentation on systems would be invaluable in making rapid advances on many systems in construction.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Hida Akechi View Post
                              Yes, but would the Axis believe or act upon this info. I doubt that Hitler would change his mind about ME 262 production even if slapped up side the head with futuristic facts.
                              The proof is on the ship itself.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X