Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greece joins the Warsaw Pact

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Greece joins the Warsaw Pact

    Following the humiliation over cyprus,the right wing military govt in Greece collapses.Frustrated by NATO's inactivity over turkish aggression in cyprus, Greece joins the WP in the 70s and withdraws from NATO.
    How will that affect the cold war
    Will the chances of a Greeco-Turkish war increase in the late 70s ?
    Greece will likely get substantial military help from the "brotherly slavic nations" will that be enough to defeat a NATO equipped turkey ?

  • #2
    Neither side was egotistical enough to allow a war directly in their backyard. They may have had proxy wars in remote corners of the globe where "civilisation" barely trod, but Greece and Turkey are far too close to the expensive real estate to allow either to have a brain fart and start a regional conflict.

    Greece may get some expensive new toys, but it would have to get rid of quite a lot of other technology and there would have been no chance of them getting their hands on any of the good stuff until a thoroughly trustworthy regime was in place. They're going to have to be in the WP for years before that happens.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by nastle View Post
      Following the humiliation over cyprus,the right wing military govt in Greece collapses.Frustrated by NATO's inactivity over turkish aggression in cyprus, Greece joins the WP in the 70s and withdraws from NATO.
      How will that affect the cold war
      Will the chances of a Greeco-Turkish war increase in the late 70s ?
      Greece will likely get substantial military help from the "brotherly slavic nations" will that be enough to defeat a NATO equipped turkey ?
      Greece a "brotherly slavic nation" ?
      "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
      Samuel Johnson.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by BELGRAVE View Post
        Greece a "brotherly slavic nation" ?
        Evidently, you have forgotten about the Spartak defense at Thermopylae and the story of King Menelausovich and the fall of Troy...

        The Spartak phalanx



        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Skoblin View Post
          Evidently, you have forgotten about the Spartak defense at Thermopylae and the story of King Menelausovich and the fall of Troy...

          The Spartak phalanx


          страна без мяса
          Кто там?
          Это я - Почтальон Печкин!
          Tunis is a Carthigenian city!

          Comment


          • #6
            Well at least all those stunning women working at the Red October Tractor Factory in Stalingrad will have another place for their summer retreat and showing off their latest one piece swimsuits lovingly knitted from course wool.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Skoblin View Post
              Evidently, you have forgotten about the Spartak defense at Thermopylae and the story of King Menelausovich and the fall of Troy...

              The Spartak phalanx


              Forgotten ?- I never knew in the first place

              I thought that there was a distinct schism between the modern Hellenic world and the Slavic one: hence the Greek view of the status of Macedonia and their sensitivity concerned the former piece of Yugoslavia (Skopje) calling itself "Macedonia".

              I could be wrong however- I frequently am !
              "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
              Samuel Johnson.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by BELGRAVE View Post
                Forgotten ?- I never knew in the first place

                I thought that there was a distinct schism between the modern Hellenic world and the Slavic one: hence the Greek view of the status of Macedonia and their sensitivity concerned the former piece of Yugoslavia (Skopje) calling itself "Macedonia".

                I could be wrong however- I frequently am !
                Here is my first hand viewpoint of modern Slavic dogma. "Kosovo is Serbia, Macedonia is Greece, we all are Orthodox brothers and Constantinople is for us."
                Кто там?
                Это я - Почтальон Печкин!
                Tunis is a Carthigenian city!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Stryker 19K30 View Post
                  Here is my first hand viewpoint of modern Slavic dogma. "Kosovo is Serbia, Macedonia is Greece, we all are Orthodox brothers and Constantinople is for us."
                  Right, so why would that part of the Greek population which was religious and in the 1970s was still majority join a communist alliance. Granted there was (and is) a strong left-wing element in society but this premise makes no sense.

                  It would be more logical and interesting to ask if the communists had won the Greek civil war and Greece joined the Warsaw Pact at the beginning how would that change the equation in the Eastern Med, with Cyprus and presumably Turkey remaining in the Western camp?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by joea View Post
                    Right, so why would that part of the Greek population which was religious and in the 1970s was still majority join a communist alliance. Granted there was (and is) a strong left-wing element in society but this premise makes no sense.

                    It would be more logical and interesting to ask if the communists had won the Greek civil war and Greece joined the Warsaw Pact at the beginning how would that change the equation in the Eastern Med, with Cyprus and presumably Turkey remaining in the Western camp?
                    Was thinking the same thing myself. Even possible that if the Communists looked like winning the Civil War the Brits & Yanks might grab a bunch of Greek islands & unite them with Cyprus into a 'Free Greece'. No shortage of prominent refugees to help form a credible looking government (hopefully they'd be smart enough to drop the Royal family - dead weight around the neck of any government struggling for credibility).

                    Not sure what sort of difference this would make to the Cold War. Probably not much, but the Russian navy would have some nicer bases & those who could afford it nicer places to take holidays. Rather than overweight & pasty-faced West Germans & Brits flocking to their beaches I guess it would be Russians, East Germans & fellow Warsaw Pact folks.
                    Human beings are the only creatures on Earth that claim a god and the only living thing that behaves like it hasn't got one - Hunter S. Thompson

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by joea View Post
                      Right, so why would that part of the Greek population which was religious and in the 1970s was still majority join a communist alliance. Granted there was (and is) a strong left-wing element in society but this premise makes no sense.

                      It would be more logical and interesting to ask if the communists had won the Greek civil war and Greece joined the Warsaw Pact at the beginning how would that change the equation in the Eastern Med, with Cyprus and presumably Turkey remaining in the Western camp?
                      Yeah I was just addressing the sub-issue of the Greece/Slavic thing. I think in the OP he meant to say Orthodox, but at that time it really din't play a big role like it does now, at least with the solidarity of the peoples.
                      Кто там?
                      Это я - Почтальон Печкин!
                      Tunis is a Carthigenian city!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Well, it won't save the USSR/Warsaw Pact from defeat, if that's what anyone might hope for.
                        The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Stryker 19K30 View Post
                          Here is my first hand viewpoint of modern Slavic dogma. "Kosovo is Serbia, Macedonia is Greece, we all are Orthodox brothers and Constantinople is for us."
                          And who dares to contradict will pay dearly!!!

                          It is always more difficult to fight against faith than against knowledge.

                          Косово је Србија!
                          Never go to war with a country whose national holiday celebrates a defeat in 1389.

                          Armored Brigade

                          Armored Brigade Facebook page

                          Comment

                          Latest Topics

                          Collapse

                          Working...
                          X