Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selous
    replied
    As one of those people who believes turning points don't really occur as such but sometimes are symptomatic of wider contextual change brought about by gradual changes in many areas, it's a tough one to answer. Every thing has an effect to varying magnitude however, but in many things this applies more to when or how rather than if. For example, had the sanctions not been imposed on Rhodesia, would she have seen the end of the century anyway? probably not, it would take more efforts.
    Without certain acts, I believe, some things would have come to action anyway, such as American involvement in the World Wars. Confederate victory at Gettysburg, provided Lee had not lost too many men and was able to march on Washington...possibly... but it's harder to conceive, as is the opening of another front at Gallipoli.
    John Colomb's decision to become a Member of Parliament,thus highlighting Imperial Defence in the popular mind, could be one, but then someone else may've done it a little later. Things like that. It's a hard question to answer...

Leave a comment:

• BELGRAVE
    replied
    August 4th, 1914.

Leave a comment:

• T. A. Gardner
    replied
    1242 Vienna. The Mongols halt their invasion of Europe on the death of Ogedei Khan. Europe and Western culture are saved.

Leave a comment:

• The last bullet
    replied
    At the top of my head these

1.Battle of Gettysburg and Gettysburg Address.Both of these changed from what United States was to what it is now.
    2. Battle of San Juan Hill. Started the US to be a World Power.
    3. The Fall of the Berlin Wall
    4. Collapse of the USSR equal the end of the Cold War.
    5. Egypt-Israel peace treaty
    6. 9-11
    7. The Civil Rights Act
    8. 19th Amendment to the Constitution

Leave a comment:

• zraver
    started a topic Favorite turnings points

Favorite turnings points

What are your favorite turning points, where a decision or act may have tilted history as we know it on its head?

Italian Declaration of Neutrality July 31, 1914, Munich 1938, Treaty of Versailles?

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Karri
    Prawn heads
    by Karri
    How do you cook them? How do you eat them?

So far I've always just twisted them off, and discarded it along with the shells and such, only...
    Yesterday, 11:40
  • Jose50
    Thoughts on the US abandoning NATO
    by Jose50
    Now may be a good time for the NATO countries to start beefing up their materiel, personnel and alliances. There is a decided wave here in the US that...
    Yesterday, 08:41
  • Von Richter
    Sagittarius Rising...
    by Von Richter
    Just having a re-read of this book after it's stood for donkey's years on the bookshelf. Once again, within the first couple of pages, I'm transported...
    Yesterday, 01:19
Working...
X