No announcement yet.

USA Stays British after 1776.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I doubt that Napoleon would have sold French Louisiana, and I am sure that Spanish would have kept Nueva España
    à vaincre sans péril, on triomphe sans gloire (triumph without peril brings no glory) P. Corneille

Le probleme avec les cons, c'est qu'il ne se fatiguent jamais
    (The problem with Pr.cks, is that they never get tired ) Michel Audiard

Comment

Originally posted by PGT Beauregard View Post
      I doubt that Napoleon would have sold French Louisiana, and I am sure that Spanish would have kept Nueva España
      I don't think they would have bought them. The gallant outer Britons would probably steal them.

The British empire on the make is a terribly kleptomaniac thing.
      "Sometimes its better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness" T Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Darkplace
        I don't think they would have bought them. The gallant outer Britons would probably steal them.
        Now. Although, while there were anti-colonial 19th Century British sentiments (I think Gladstone, for example, held such opinions honestly) there is also an aspect of The Walrus and the Carpenter:

"It seems a shame," the Walrus said,
        "To play them such a trick,
        After we've brought them out so far,
        And made them trot so quick!"
        The Carpenter said nothing but
        "The butter's spread too thick!"

"I weep for you," the Walrus said:
        "I deeply sympathize."
        With sobs and tears he sorted out
        Those of the largest size,
        Holding his pocket-handkerchief
        Before his streaming eyes.

"O Oysters," said the Carpenter,
        "You've had a pleasant run!
        Shall we be trotting home again?'
        But answer came there none--
        And this was scarcely odd, because
        They'd eaten every one.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuor View Post
          Now. Although, while there were anti-colonial 19th Century British sentiments (I think Gladstone, for example, held such opinions honestly) there is also an aspect of The Walrus and the Carpenter:
          I can't see either the colonies or the UK being really happy about an open back door to the house in the form of the mississipi. They will have to do something to close the door.
          "Sometimes its better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness" T Pratchett

Comment

Historically, also, the settlers weren't opposed to expanding westwards, by hook or by crook.

This scenario makes me wonder what would happen if Cecil had gone West instead of South.
            ------
            'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules

Comment

I wonder how the difference in type of Government would have affected the culture of United States.

"Peace, Order, and Good Government" versus "Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" summarize the differences in constitutional philosophy.

It would be very British to send red coats to keep the west from becoming wild, in Canada they called those people "Northwest Mounted Police" and later "Royal Canadian Mounted Police".

I am a believer that differences in government, and especially of the conceptualization of rights, make a big difference in the consciousness of the people. Rights that are granted from the crown are conceptually a lot different than rights that people are endowed with by the creator.

I think the British Commonwealth country of the United States of North America would have felt somewhat different because of a difference in Government systems, and constitutional philosophy. I am not saying better or worse, just different.
              Last edited by Sparlingo; 04 Jun 12, 18:58.

Comment

Originally posted by PGT Beauregard View Post
                I doubt that once Napolean started $4!+ in Europe that he could hold onto the Louisana Territory. Spain lost their American possessions in a series of revolts and revolutions. Mexico would still be run by someone like Santa Ana and their ties to Spain would be minimal. Simon Bolivar etc., revolted on their own not because the US existed as such.

If anything, knowing Britain, they would see having the colonial empire of a rival cut to pieces as a good thing and encouraged intrigues to make it happen.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X