Sealion, seriously now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rojik View Post
    I'd check Tooze or someone like that to see if the German economy could handle the diversion of steel needed to make the razors so necessary to stop the nun's unusually hairy legs from spoiling the whole plan.
    You have experience with nun's legs? To me they are a mistery and I like to keep it that way.

Ed
    The repetition of affirmations leads to belief. Once that belief becomes a deep conviction, you better wake up and look at the facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberknight View Post
      Dammit, don't tell me our guys messed with Cadbury.

I humbly apologize on behalf of Americans.
      Yup it's gone sh*t now. Doesn't taste the same. They also promised they'd keep manufacturing in the UK ... and then went and closed all the factories.

However .. I will forgive them for the Cadbury's/Philly cheese which is just the dog's b*llocks.

Choccy Philly .. don't be silly!

It's lush!

"COOMMAAAAAAANNNNDOOOO!!!!!"
      - Mad Jack Churchill.

Comment

I am very sad to see that my highly serious Sealion thread has gone so far off the rails as to include cream cheese and other things. I am also sad to see it was not remarked upon in the Sealion; Stop And Read Before You Proceed sticky post at the top of the Alt Hist forum. This is the only Op. Sealion idea which has not been defeated in rational argument (because there isn't one)by the powerful minds of our resident Sealion Clubbers. For shame, and somewhat typical I might add, that people ignore the most credible of attack plans which took me MANY minutes to come up with.

------
        'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Tuck's Luck View Post
          However .. I will forgive them for the Cadbury's/Philly cheese which is just the dog's b*llocks.
          You're an admirer of dog's b*llocks?

What's that about?

Philip
          "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

Comment

Originally posted by philiplaos View Post

What's that about?

Philip
            Sounds like the traditional sort of British culinary fare that's come to be associated with the UK. Perhaps it's some sort of Welsh delicasy?.
            "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

Originally posted by johnbryan View Post
              Sounds like the traditional sort of British culinary fare that's come to be associated with the UK. Perhaps it's some sort of Welsh delicasy?.
              In my day, something excellent was said to be "the bee's knees".

I have no idea what that was about either.

We are indeed a strange lot.

Philip
              "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

Comment

Originally posted by Tuck's Luck View Post
                Yup it's gone sh*t now. Doesn't taste the same. They also promised they'd keep manufacturing in the UK ... and then went and closed all the factories.

Choccy Philly .. don't be silly!

It's lush!

I kept expecting a 10 ton weight to drop on her, or maybe a giant foot to squash her flat.... I mean that would be classic Python and very British....

Comment

Philip
                  Good lord, we eat our share of offal over here across the pond as well. Offhand I can think of everything from blood sausage, to deep fried cow brain sandwiches to fried pig guts-"chitluns," to fried "Scapple" which is everything on the pig excepting the "oink" and combined into a loaf There's also "mountain oysters" from cattle, pig or lamb testicles, deep fried chicken hearts and gizzards and pickled pig's feet. Lastly, there is "Head Cheese" which is not a cheese, but rather the scrapings from a pig's head, flavored with red pepper and solidified in a gelatine, making a nice luncheon meat. Haven't tried any dog bollocks though.
                  "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

What's that about?

Philip
                    Given the time that dogs spend licking their bollocks they must be pretty good.
                    "Sometimes its better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness" T Pratchett

Comment

Philip
                      'The Dog's Bollocks' is indeed the equivalent of 'Bee's Knees' or the 'Cat's Whiskers.'

Meaning
                      Excellent - the absolute apex. In other contexts the word bollocks (meaning testicles) has a negative connotation; for example:

- 'that's bollocks' -> 'that's rubbish'
                      - 'give him a bollocking' -> 'chastise him'
                      - 'He dropped a bollock' -> 'he made a mistake'

The reasons why the 'dog's bollocks' are considered to be the top of the tree aren't clear. It may be linked to an associated phrase - 'stand out like a dog's balls', i.e. 'outstanding',

Origin
                      The word bollocks, meaning testicles has been part of the language since the 18th century, but didn't become used to mean nonsense until the early 20th century. The 'dog's bollocks' seems to have originated in Britain in the first half of the 20th century.

In the 1980s the scurrilous magazine Viz used 'dog's bollocks' frequently; for example, they used it in the title of an issue in 1989:

"Viz - The Dog's Bollocks: The Best of Issues 26 to 31."

Who coined the phrase we aren't ever likely to know - it was most probably a street slang term that became established in common usage well before it ever got into print.

A more detailed and lengthy explanation can be found here:

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/dog's%20bollocks.html

Last edited by Tuck's Luck; 02 Jun 12, 04:58.
                      "COOMMAAAAAAANNNNDOOOO!!!!!"
                      - Mad Jack Churchill.

Comment

I NEVER heard of anyone Eating Dog's Bollocks - but then it is an interesting fact that we generally DON'T eat any kind of Meat from Carnivores - and Dogs are DEFINITELY Carnivores.

When I had some Dogs - it was absolute bluddy murder to try to get them to Eat their Winalot, mixed with Meat and soaked in Gravy. They would pick out ever last bit of meat - and ignore the biscuit completely.
                        However, in certain way they can be good scavengers - After we had stripped the meat from the Turkey carcass at Xmas - I used to chop the carcass in half and throw it to the two Dogs. Gone compeltely in ten seconds - Bones and all.

Getting back to Bollocks.
                        In the U.S.A. I have heard that they have a week-long Festival somewhere down in Texas, each year - where everyone is expected to dine on Bull's Pizzles ( Bollocks ), Fried I believe.

Finally - as a man of England - Cadbury's just ain't what it used to be. However, Bigger Businesses down the Years, and "Globalisation" have totally WIPED OUT the existence of MANY Products, mostly Food Products - which were common and widely apreciated during my Youth. Sadly - England, Britain, the World - are NOT the places they were, when I was growing-up.
                        I was Born in 1949 - and grew-up during the 1950's - when we had OMO Soap Powder ( washing powder ), Morton's Tinned Peas, Nestle's Chocolate ( NOT Nestle the FRENCH Chocolate Manufacturer ), Chiver's Jellies ( jello ), Chiver's Jams, Greengage Jam, Greengage Jelly ( jello ) - oh, WAY TOO MANY to bring them all to mind now.

Seriously though, Folks - is anyone gonna make a FUN GameThread from the Original Ideas of the Highly Esteemed Mr. Sealous.
                        I mean REALLY - The "Sillion Thread", maybe.
                        G.M. - Sci Fi Game - the "Krissyverse"
                        Darius Jarvinger - Prime Minister of The Phoenix Confederation
                        Kris Martins - President of Attican Republic
                        Kaar Kristoff - Minister of Interior of The Phoenix Confederation

Comment

The object of a game being to win, I'm not sure how you'd make such a game, my friend; unless you make the objective to lose
                          If you wish to make a game in this vein I shall not stop you but I'm not much of a wargamer (and am allready got my name down for a game ran here by another member) so I would not take part. But here's the ball sir, you run all the way with it, as far as you like
                          ------
                          'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

On the subject of Ice Cream; wasn't a pumping station for PLUTO disguised as an ice cream supplier? Also, wasn't there some story goin' 'round, probably impossible to verify, that an ice cream truck got caught in the traffic in Portsmouth or the like, and somehow got loaded onto an LST. You may be onto something here, S.
                            ...how useless it was to struggle against fortune, this being the burden of wisdom which the ages had bequeathed to him.

Comment

Originally posted by Selous View Post
                              The object of a game being to win, I'm not sure how you'd make such a game, my friend; unless you make the objective to lose
                              If you wish to make a game in this vein I shall not stop you but I'm not much of a wargamer (and am allready got my name down for a game ran here by another member) so I would not take part. But here's the ball sir, you run all the way with it, as far as you like
                              This Issue has been raised before - funnily enough in what is now "my" Sci Fi Wargame.
                              The Confederation of mostly Humans is in a very long drawn out Interstellar WAR with the Empire of the mostly Zetans.
                              The Confederation has 36 Colonised Star Systems - the Zetan Empire has Conquered some 70% of this Galaxy ( the Milky Way ).

In principle - the Zetan Empire could destroy The Confederation totally and completely, in just a few Months - beyond any possible survival.
                              In principle - The Confederation can NEVER defeat the Zetan Empire.

But - the point of the Game is SURVIVAL. For the Confederation to Survive, to expand, to get stronger - and ocassionally to damage the Zetan Empire.
                              For the Zetan Empire, it is to ATTEMPT to Destroy the Confederation.

The real point and purpose is for the Game to CONTINUE.
                              This allows for the forming of new Ideas, new Discoveries, new Worlds to explore and Colonise, new Intelligent Species to discover - and so much more.

Under the "Working Rules" - the Zetans are hampered by a lack of Advanced Technologies - the Confederation is more advanced in Technology, and advancing more rapidly.

The Zetan Empire is largely a Slave Empire, like the Roman Empire - needing to Expand and Conquer in order to overcome its own internal problems. It needs to expend considerable Resources and "Manpower" to control the vast numbers of unwilling Slaves - it is never going to get much in the way of Technological Advances from Slaves ( neither did Nazi Germany, which WASTED the Scientific and Technoligal abilities of Enslaved Peoples ).
                              The Zetan Empire is also hampered by its own structure - a vast Empire, administered from the Centre, with almost no local control - and with major Logistical Limitations, as local systems are rarely self-sufficient in Resources.
                              However - the Zetan Empire has now clashed with The Confederation - its continual Expansion has been STOPPED.

All I am saying - is that there can be other AIMS in running a Game, apart from Winning and Losing, or Competing.
                              Once Upon A Time - People actually played Games for FUN - the enjoyment of the Game itself.
                              One of the most regrettable changes which I have seen during my lifetime has been the change from a World in which Playing for Fun is an acceptable practice - to a World in which Playing to Win is the ONLY way to Play.
                              That has been a VERY SAD continuation of a Process which began hundreds of years ago. Once upon a time, Children were allowed to play Games of Cards with Adults - betting was not an issue. Then it began to become the norm, and Laws were introduced which Banned children from these types of Games.
                              When I was a Child - Adults and Children played Games together - Cricket or Football, for instance. No real Score was kept - and the Adults did not play to Win - it was FUN to play with your Children and their Children Friends in this way.
                              Now, Children are expected to be more "grown up" and to play these Games "properly" - Scores are now more important, and Adults play more aggressively.
                              G.M. - Sci Fi Game - the "Krissyverse"
                              Darius Jarvinger - Prime Minister of The Phoenix Confederation
                              Kris Martins - President of Attican Republic
                              Kaar Kristoff - Minister of Interior of The Phoenix Confederation

Comment

You raise an excellent point, Chris. I merely wondered as to how the mechanics would flow with no stated aims or objectives for victory in a war game.
                                I say, go for it, mate
                                ------

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X