How Real Should Alt History Be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by nikeb
    So long story short I agree that the earth shattering changes are not sharp short battles like fireworks, but earthquakes, that build up pressure for a long time from many points until they go off and shake the very foundations of society.
    Social historians would certainly agree. I suppose I look for the 'catalysts' that make the changes happen more than the underlying pressures that they set off. For example the Russian Revolution of 1917 - would there have been a Marxist regime without the economic dislocation, the hunger, the whole war experience to shake up that society? Probably not, but there would have been change of some kind certainly. Maybe in 500 years the Bolshevik state will be regarded as an aberration, a brief divergence from the inexorable pressure for change (perhaps like the Nazi state), but it may also be regarded as a key point of divergence, the moment when one of your 'earthquakes' happened. Time will tell, although I doubt I'll be around to witness how History evolves.
    Signing out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Full Monty View Post
      Would you expect the Germans to make the same mistake three times?
      Well, sometimes more than three time...

Hoogaaaaan!

Comment

• Jeez, "Playboy Bunnies", "Smurfs"...

Toast!

Enough of the pure nonsense, already!

Thank You!

Drive Through!

On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

• Originally posted by Admiral View Post
          Jeez, "Playboy Bunnies", "Smurfs"...

Toast!

Enough of the pure nonsense, already!

Thank You!

Drive Through!

I've thought long and hard about this (well, a couple of minutes whilst incommoded) and I'm still not sure what this refers to.
          Signing out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Roddoss72 View Post
            Exactly, i have read some books on AH including that of Major Kenneth Macksey (1923 to 2005) and his book "Invasion" about a very plausible account of a German Invasion of Britian.
            I've got that. Even one of our proponents of the 'It was possible' school finds Macksey implausible. It is a good read though.
            Signing out.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X