Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Large tactical Formations still viable past World War 1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think Karakris deserves a special ribbon award for the most spectacular thread derailment!
    Signing out.

Comment

Taking them out on their own planet wouldn't be as much of a problem, here they had occupied a friendly (to us) planet and we needed to get them out without massacring the resident populace in the proces.

In addition they held a large group of civilian prisoners they threatened to kill/eat if we made any kind of agressive move.

It ended badly btw I'm sure Karakris can link to the relevant posts in the war thread

Originally posted by Full Monty View Post
      Yes, well, just thinking practically. Just as in a 'Wild West' RPG where, as the town Marshal I was faced with a gang robbing the bank ... so the first thing I did was to shoot their horses! The wave of revulsion that swept the room was almost tangible. It worked though!
      Out of sheer boredom I once had the admiral kick his forum-game cat - I actually received (IC ) death threats.

I think Karakris deserves a special ribbon award for the most spectacular thread derailment!
      true of course, we'll stop it if you really want us to
      Lambert of Montaigu - Crusader.

Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post
        Out of sheer boredom I once had the admiral kick his forum-game cat - I actually received (IC ) death threats.
        I'm not surprised! How far did you get him to kick the cat?

true of course, we'll stop it if you really want us to
        Not my thread. In any case it encouraged me to dig out my 'Starship Troopers' DVD and watch it all over again!
        Signing out.

Comment

I'm not surprised! How far did you get him to kick the cat?
          Ah you're probably thinking of our friend and fellow member Admiral, he would of course never do such a thing.

I was talking about admiral Snowy my PC, in Karakris' Sci-Fi game.

He didn't actually connect, it was more of a suggestive kicking movement in her general direction

Last edited by Snowygerry; 09 May 12, 09:30.
          Lambert of Montaigu - Crusader.

Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post
            Ah you're probably thinking of our friend and fellow member Admiral, he would of course never do such a thing.

I was talking about admiral Snowy my PC, in Karakris' Sci-Fi game.
            I knew what you meant.

He didn't actually connect, it was more of a suggestive kicking movement in her general direction
            Ahhhh, not as much fun then. Perhaps if you'd had your character eject the ***** into outer space?

I love the auto-editing software here! Well, kind of
            Signing out.

Comment

I knew what you meant.

Ahhhh, not as much fun then. Perhaps if you'd had your character eject the ***** into outer space?

I love the auto-editing software here! Well, kind of
              If he did that - I think the President would have had him thrown in the Brig - for a week at least.
              I am one of those Cat Lovers.
              G.M. - Sci Fi Game - the "Krissyverse"
              Darius Jarvinger - Prime Minister of The Phoenix Confederation
              Kris Martins - President of Attican Republic
              Kaar Kristoff - Minister of Interior of The Phoenix Confederation

Comment

Originally posted by Karakris View Post
                It was - and I do agree with your Points.

Trouble is - in my Game, we ARE gonna have to go up against something that Nasty and unpleasant, and damn hard to defeat.
                However - they have Slaves, Bipedal Oxygen-Breathing Intelligent Slaves - who are working as their "Slave Labour".
                Rather in the way that the Nazis did in WWII - they are not even the same Species or several Species.
                Nuking their Bases may not be a good option - we kill all of the "nice people" who are their Slaves.
                It would be like Nuking the Nazis, and incidentally killing the Jewish Prisoners.

So - after their defending Space Fleet is destroyed, in each Star System - we are gonna have to send in very large numbers of Ground Troops, and hit the Planet. With Tanks, S.P. Guns, and Atmosphere Craft. Then we are gonna have to FIGHT the damn buggers.
                While it is no longer PC to discuss such things, anihilating a base or if you will a city full of civilians of our own species who are materially contributing to the war effort against us is a very common and accepted conduct of total war in the West.

I seriously doubt that the presence of an alien slave labor race would prevent the opposition from using weapons of mass destruction.
                "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
                George Mason
                Co-author of the Second Amendment
                during Virginia’s Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788

Comment

Well, the problem is even slightly more complex than is being let on.

You have at least two, possibly three, distinct groups within the 'enemy', working towards a singular goal.

Of the two that are known about somewhat conclusively, one is a mindless drone species and the other is a moderately intelligent species with a very strong pack culture. Wholly disrupting 'communication' would only disrupt one species, the other would be able to go on. OTOH, the drones tend to be the ones that are more capable of using higher technology systems, while the more intelligent species is ironically the more physically powerful and militarily minded group. Think of the drones as "Bugs", and the other species as Soviet Infantry circa 1942. One is wholly mindless to casualties, while the other is just not that sensitive to them.

If there is a third species little is known. This is of course ignoring whatever master control or master species it is that runs the drones.
                  Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Wow, I honestly couldn't believe that the whole thread moved from tactical formations to strategies against fictional extraterrestrial races.

To be honest, all that I wanted was to see if an alternative set of tactics for an alternative history would work.

Now, I'm sorry for my inactivity. (Which was due to lacking time to post in this forum.)

Anyways, back to the original topic. I was wondering if this clip is accurate to military tactics in WW2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMo10j5aa-Q

Maybe, something like this, but with a company instead of a platoon? And, with combined arms?

Comment

Originally posted by DinodudeEpic View Post
                      Wow, I honestly couldn't believe that the whole thread moved from tactical formations to strategies against fictional extraterrestrial races.

To be honest, all that I wanted was to see if an alternative set of tactics for an alternative history would work.

Now, I'm sorry for my inactivity. (Which was due to lacking time to post in this forum.)

Anyways, back to the original topic. I was wondering if this clip is accurate to military tactics in WW2.

Maybe, something like this, but with a company instead of a platoon? And, with combined arms?
                      Sorry - All My Fault
                      G.M. - Sci Fi Game - the "Krissyverse"
                      Darius Jarvinger - Prime Minister of The Phoenix Confederation
                      Kris Martins - President of Attican Republic
                      Kaar Kristoff - Minister of Interior of The Phoenix Confederation

Comment

Originally posted by DinodudeEpic View Post
                        It was a spectacular derailment.

That clip looks like so many I've seen from popular films of that era .... i.e. not very accurate at all.

Imho if you want to upscale small unit tactical systems to larger formations you have to solve one of the two big problems listed above - the potency of firepower and the limited range of command & control. The former seems the best bet - going into a 'steampunk' Alt. Reality where large scale industrial production is difficult to organise and/or large gun barrels are difficult to produce/make reliable because steel is in limited supply.
                        Signing out.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X