Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Naval Warfare Experts ? - Who May Be Interested In Something New ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Naval Warfare Experts ? - Who May Be Interested In Something New ?

I am just wondering if there is Anyone on this Site - who may be willing to rise to the CHALLENGE.

I am looking at something LIKE Naval Warfare - but involving Fleets and Task Forces in a Truly Three Dimensional Medium.

Vast Forces of up to thousands of Ships - from opposing Protagonants.
    With immensely powerful Weapons.

But for all that - this is still really a form of Naval Warfare.

Do YOU have what it takes to grasp the Concepts and the manner of Battle ??
    Do YOU have the abilities to visualise the outcomes of these kind of Engagements, involving Forces which are not evenly matched ??

Whereas one of the Opponents has the possibility of vastly superior numbers - they have less advanced Weapons, and poorer Communications and Coordination. They are Fighting for Conquest - and to eliminate a very Bothersome Opponent.
    The other Opponent has better Technology, more advanced Weapons, better Communications and better Cooridnation. They are fighting from the "moral high ground" - to end an Empire of slavery, and ultimately for their own Survival.

Do YOU have the Skills to take it a little further - to actually Determine the outcomes of these kinds of Battles ??

We are asking - and hoping that there is someone out there who CAN, and who is Willing to Try.
    G.M. - Sci Fi Game - the "Krissyverse"
    Darius Jarvinger - Prime Minister of The Phoenix Confederation
    Kris Martins - President of Attican Republic
    Kaar Kristoff - Minister of Interior of The Phoenix Confederation

I will try. And a smaller more advanced fleet is mine i will destroy the evil empire
    you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

Originally posted by andrewza View Post
      I will try. And a smaller more advanced fleet is mine i will destroy the evil empire
      Oh no you won't.

(So says the undermind and propoganda minister of said "evil empire"--aka, benevolent space-faring nation that is currently involved in desperate self-defense measures)
      The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

Comment

I have 27 years actual naval experiance and played some of the Naval War College games (as Red being low man on the totem pole so to speak... to the reget of Blue usually) and am one mean wargamer....

Technology is not a war winner unless it is horribly lopsided. Better tactics, strategy, and leadership are what wins.

Comment

While I am a junior rate with 2 years 4 months experience and my only war game experience is harpoon classic. But I will prevail.
          you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

The real problem is that whoever we Recruit for this Job -
            Will be the person who undertakes the damn Awkward, perhaps Time Consuming and certainly "thankless" Task of actually working-out what happens when the Fleets clash.

Orders for the Fleets will come from existing Players in the Game.
            I am the Game Master - but I really feel very unfitted for this Job.
            I am also a Player on the side of the Confederation.
            Hida Akechi is one of the two Players on the other Side.

Timeline - it is now the year 2138.

Setting -

The Confederation now has a total Population of some 180 Billion People - 12 Billion in Sol, 21 Billion Humans in the Systems of Attica, 18 Billion Friendly Aliens in the Systems of the IPC, 8 Billion Humans in the New Byzantium System, 600 Million of the Rhynwyrr, 120 Billion of the "Cat People", 10 Billion of the Confederation itself. All living in 34 different Star Systems.

Our Opponents - the Zetans have an Empire which spans some 70% of this Galaxy ( the Milky Way ) - so, as there are around 200 Billion Stars in this Galaxy - an unthinkable number.
            However - the Zetans are Ammonia Breathers, and the number of such Stars which have Planets with the right Atmosphere, in the correct "habitable zone" is a lot less than this. So - we are looking at maybe 80 Million Stars, total - having some 96 Million Zetan Habitable Planets.
            The Zetans would thus have colonised some 96 Million Planets.
            The drawback for the Zetans is that they have an Empire based on Slavery - so that although they have a lot more Planets which are "Slave Worlds" ( mostly oxygen breathers, we believe ) - large numbers of Zetans and Zetan Ships must be used to keep the Slaves nder control.
            This has similarities to the Empire of Rome, except only rarely can other Species be recruited, or to the Nazis in Germany - where large numbers of non-aryans were kept in slave ( extermination ) camps, but which still required a large force to guard them and administer the system.

It is still a VERY GREAT worry to the Confederation.

The Setting is of course - Space.
            Travel between Star Systems is obscenely fast - a Faster Then Light ( FTL ) Drive, which can achieve speeds of 100,000 times the Speed of Light. The Zetans also have this.
            The Confederation also has a Z-Drive or "strafe" Drive which can achieve speeds of 10,000,000 times the Speed of Light - but only in one direction, then new 'Cores' have to be manufactured.

Space Warships - the size is enormous.
            The Zetans have Very Big Ships - but are now building many more smaller types. Their largest are 300 Km in length.
            The Confederation started smaller, but is working upwards -
            DD - 500 metres long.
            FF - 800 metres long.
            Cruisers, several types - 2 Km long.
            BB - 8 Km long.
            SBB - 22 Km long.
            SD - 45 Km long.
            SSD - 50 Km long.
            SSM - 150 Km long.
            CVL - 2 Km long - carrying Space Fighters.
            CV - 8 Km long - carrying Space Fighters.
            SCV - 20 Km long - carrying Space Fighters.
            SBS - Super Battle Stations with FTL Drive - 600 Km diameter.
            Some larger Types "in the pipeline".

Weapons -
            Railguns - firing Solid or Explosive Slugs. Some are VERY BIG indeed.
            Plasma Guns - firing bolts of high temperature, high energy Plasma.
            Lasers - from small to very large types. The Confederation now has the Technology to contain these within a tubular Energy Shield, for reduced dispersion, and firing in Atmosphere.
            Neutron Pulse Cannons - the Zetans do not have. Firing Neutrons in small mass pulses - at up to 1.2 times the speed of Light. These can also be contained withing a tubular Energy Shield.
            Proton Guns - the Zetans do not have. Pulsed X-Ray Lasers, with stripped Nucleus inclusions. Can also be enclosed in a tubular Energy Shield.
            Stellar Cannons - the Zetans do not have. We are working on this - soon to be available. A magnetic "pinch field" creates conditions for Helium Fusion in a narrow zone - the resultant Plasma has the velocity, pressure and temperature of emissions from Stars. When running - it also creates more energy than it uses. This should be able to be enclosed in a tubular Energy Shield.

Technology -
            Power -
            The Confederation uses Hydrogen Fusion Powerplants.
            Usually several, arranged for multiple redundancy - these can be made in almost ANY size. We do not know what the Zetans use.
            Armour -
            Boron Carbonitride. For gigantic structures, we are also looking at a special lamination of Ultra High Fusion Steel with fused Basalt - to create secondary Armour. Something a bit like true Wrought Iron.
            Armour -
            Aluminium Nitride. A lighter but less strong Armour.
            Energy Shields -
            The Zetans do not have. This is the classic "force field" - blocking or slowing large objects, blocking or reducing Laser blasts. Used in multiple overlapping systems. It could also be used in dome shaped shields, to retain atmosphere.
            Gravity Control -
            The Zetans do not have. Effectively this provdes both Tractor Beams and Pressor Beams.
            Anti-Gravity -
            The Zetans do not have. This provides a Pressor effect.
            Anti-Matter -
            The Zetans do not have. It can be obtianed in small amounts, from another Universe - we may be using this for Weapons.
            Wormholes -
            The Zetans do not have. We have just developed this Technololgy.

Detection - Radars, Etc.
            The Confederation uses Radar, Mass Detection, and other Detectors.
            Radar -
            The Confederation uses a type of Radar which is effectvely LIDAR, with a Wavelength of just under 1.5mm, at around 200 GHz. This we call Interrogative Radar - as it is stated that it can actually be used almost like an Ex-Ray, to show all details of an approaching Ship.
            NOTE - we are pretty well certain that the Zetans cannot actually Detect the use of this Radar, by any Electronic means - their Electronics is not in the same league at all.
            Radar - The Zetans use a type of Radar which has a Wavelength of 1.5 Cm, at around 2 Ghz - this has improved recently from 1 GHz Systems.
            Long Range Detectors -
            The Confederation has a Long Range Detector System, to Detect Ships in FTL Drive. For poweful Installations - it can Detect Ships of 8Km or larger out to 10 Light Years, or smaller types out to 3 Light Years. For smaller Installations, on Ships less than 100 Km in size - it can Detect Ships of 8Km out to 3 Light Years or smaller types out to 1 Light Year. The Zetans do not have this.
            Communications -
            The Zetans are Telepaths of a strange kind. They communicate Instantly, by strange Signals which are in the EM range between 10 KHz and 100 KHz. Zetans are "Drone" Creatures - controled or directed from a central "Overmind". Zetans can individually be KILLED by Radio Waves, Radars, Microwaves, etc. at other Frequencies.
            EDIT - The Zetan Communications System means that Battles are very much conducted "from a distance" - a Very Vast Distance, we believe.
            Also - at a Local Level, as their Communications System use EM Carriers - we can "Jam" them, to produce something like 40% to 50% disruption.
            Zetans are able to protect themselves from EM Frequencies - by a combination of Faraday Cages in their Ships - whilst using Signal Boosters of some sort for the Comms Frequencies.
            Communications -
            The Confederation uses Ultra-Radio, which is not really an EM Communication at all - travelling almost instantly, and faster than our normal FTL Drives. However, it does decay over large distances.
            Telepathy - "Siblings" -
            The Confederation has discovered that "normal" Telepathy works extremely well, between pairs of Individuals who are actual EXACT Clones of each other. It has no delay or "lag", and no distance limits.
            The Confederation has created a large number of Identical Girls, who are EXACT Clones - and who have total telepathic liinks to each other. When they reach Adulthood - they will form a Corps of Communication Officers for the Confederation. This is the "Siblings" Project.
            Telepathy - Kedy Units -
            Meanwhile, the KEDY Project has created Cloned Living Silicon Brains - who have the same capabilities, but who have been "programmed" as 'Robot' Ship Commanders, with built-in safeguards. These form the sole Crew ( one each ) of the Kedy 'Drone' Frigates and some Drone Cruisers built by the Confederation - to ensure Communcations with distant Fleets, and ensure that in the event of anihilation, some Information will get back to the Kedy "brains" kept on Home Planets.

Anything else - just Ask - Honest.
            Last edited by Karakris; 17 Apr 12, 10:29.

Comment

With a bit of a 'team' to work with, I can come back to this role, if it is what I think. It's a bit much for one man to work on.
              Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Honestly, for my part, I am having a hard time integrating myself into this game. It is a fairly massive situation and I can't keep up with all of the particulars. So, I'm lightly advising Tsar for a while until something clicks for me.
                The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
                  With a bit of a 'team' to work with, I can come back to this role, if it is what I think. It's a bit much for one man to work on.
                  YES - we have divided the TacRes Role from the Zetan Commander's Role.
                  In very truth - I am concerned as to whether I can actually make an even halfway decent Job of doing the TacRes myself - Honestly.

Tsar has said that the Zetans must have Millions or even Many Millions of Ships, which they COULD send against us – but he does accept that there are limitations which may prevent this. They comprise Logistics in general - and the fact that the Zetans have to use large numbers of Personnel and Ships, to keep their Empire of potentially mutinous Slaves, under control.
                  It HAS been said that the Zetans will soon be sending Many Thousands of Ships against us. This could mean all against one Planet – and then “rinse and repeat” for other Planets, etc.
                  However, there has to be some “Balance” in this Game.

Remember though - if the Zetans were to Destroy even ONE of our Major Planets, the Confederation would be bound to suffer very badly.
                  If the Zetans were able to completely Destroy, just One of our fully developed Worlds – If that was Earth, it could be as much as 6.3% of our entire Population – including all Aliens and the “Cat People”.
                  So – to the kind of Attack which Tsar is hinting at ( if there were several of them ) – we are incredibly vulnerable.
                  If we were to lose Two or Three Planets in this way – our actual Survival would be a questionable matter – as Attacks could continue on that scale, without our being able to stop them. In those Battles – most of our Fleets would have been destroyed.
                  Our Total Survival may be seriously threatened. We don't have a vast number of Developed Planets, or a vast number of People.

Sorry - but it would seem to be true.
                  The GAME can only survive, if the Confederation can Survive.

The Zetans COULD suffer 100 Planets Destroyed - and it would be more like an annoying inconvenience.
                  If we were able to completely Destroy, One Hundred of the Zetans fully developed Worlds – it would be “a drop in the ocean” for their massive
                  Empire.
                  Our Opponents - the Zetans have an Empire which spans some 70% of this Galaxy ( the Milky Way ) - so, as there are around 200 Billion Stars in this Galaxy - an unthinkable number.
                  However - the Zetans are Ammonia Breathers, and the number of such Stars which have Planets with the right Atmosphere, in the correct "habitable zone" is a lot less than this. So - we are looking at maybe 80 Million Stars, total - having some 96 Million Zetan Habitable Planets.
                  The Zetans would thus have colonised some 96 Million Planets.
                  The drawback for the Zetans is that they have an Empire based on Slavery - so that although they have a lot more Planets which are "Slave Worlds" ( mostly oxygen breathers, we believe ) - large numbers of Zetans and Zetan Ships must be used to keep the Slaves nder control.
                  This has similarities to the Empire of Rome, except only rarely can other Species be recruited, or to the Nazis in Germany - where large numbers of non-aryans were kept in slave ( extermination ) camps, but which still required a large force to guard them and administer the system.

Some Points which may need consideration.
                  Last edited by Karakris; 17 Apr 12, 10:50.

Comment

Originally posted by Hida Akechi View Post
                    Honestly, for my part, I am having a hard time integrating myself into this game. It is a fairly massive situation and I can't keep up with all of the particulars. So, I'm lightly advising Tsar for a while until something clicks for me.
                    I am sure that you will be able to get into the swing of it, in time - Honest.

Comment

Originally posted by Karakris View Post
                      Sorry - but it would seem to be true.
                      The GAME can only survive, if the Confederation can Survive.

And therein lies the real problem. If were allowed to play it real I would end the game in a matter of months. If I can’t then the only thing I am allowed to do is preside over a series of Zetan defeats.
                      Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

Comment

Interesting but...

...my Navy floats on water and shoots from naval rifles.

I'm still trying to figure out how to sink Vietnam and may have problems with Zorks and Dorks in space.

Any good liberty ports like Olongapo to visit?
                        Skip

Comment

Originally posted by Tsar View Post
                          And therein lies the real problem. If were allowed to play it real I would end the game in a matter of months. If I can’t then the only thing I am allowed to do is preside over a series of Zetan defeats.
                          Hmmm - "Victories" can go either way - some you win, some you lose.

But - Ultimate Victory - The Confederation can almost certainly NEVER WIN really. Any Victories they might achieve WILL be Temporary - that is inevitable.

However - there is no way that the Zetans can actually LOSE - in any Real Sense.
                          The Confederation is at present a very annoying nuisance - not really a lot more than that.
                          I have tried very hard to achieve some greater Balance - by building-up the Confederation - but it is still not really an actual Threat in any real sense.
                          The Confederation can maybe get bigger, hit harder - but it cannot really WIN.

The Zetans can lose some Ships, here and there - lose some Planets or Systems, here and there - but it will really be "small change".
                          The Confederation CANNOT do any REAL damage to the Zetan Empire, except in a purely Local way - which is extremely marginal.
                          The Zetan Empire COULD easily Wipe Out the Confederation - but then the Game ends, it is unlikely that it will find any other Serious Opposition, and there will be NO more Battles.

The only other option is for the Game to take some serious twists in different directions - maybe some other Powerful Forces can come into play - maybe there are others, who could be Enemies to both the Zetans AND the Confederation.

In those respects, this Game is very "open" - others could come in with New Ideas - but maybe it will remain Polarised - who can say ?

The Confederation and the Zetan Empire are in "dispute" over areas of only one "Arm" of this Galaxy called "The Milky Way" - there are other "Arms" of this Galaxy, where the Zetans may not be having any troubles at all.

Or - they could arouse the anger and Emnity of some other Empire or Powerful Forces.
                          If the latter were true - then the attitude of the Leaders of The Confederation may well be something like that of Churchill -
                          "If Hitler Invaded Hell - I would at least make a favourable reference to the Devil, in The House of Commons".

Comment

Riiight -

Quite Regardless of the Arguments over the "rightness" or "wrongness" of the possible future Actions of the Zetans -

And although this Thread was started, with the Intention of "Recruiting" a PLayer for the Role of taking over the Tactical and Operational Resolution of actual Battles -

There is one other Point which I wish to Raise.
                            The Forces of the Confederation at present have One High Admiral, and one Admiral.
                            IF we are going to expand these Forces in the way which we should be doing - we Really DO need some more Naval commanders, for the new Fleets and Task Forces which we will need to form, from New Ships which will be Built.
                            We are already more than a little short of such Commanders - and it may just get worse.

Any Takers ??
                            Is anyone willing to take on the CHALLENGE of these Roles ??

Furthermore - we are needing Players to take on the Roles of System Governors, for some of the Systems - who may soon become the Presidents of new Dominions within the Confederation.
                            Any Interest ??

Comment

I could handel a task force. A small one to start maybe only a few Destroys and frigates once I know more of the game I can take a CV task force.

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X