The IRISH and the NAZIS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rojik View Post
    History is an agreed upon fiction? I tend to think so but it's still fun to poke around in.
    It is though isn't it. One of my favourite games a few years ago was reading through WW2 books printed in the sixties and seventies written pre the release of the realities about Enigma and seeing how they handled events where Enigma played a part like the battle of the Atlantic etc .

You have some well written and researched books all of which you could use to teach a class on the war and all of them are utterly wrong.

To be honest I don't think the definitive book on world war two has been written and it probably wont be in my life time. Purely because there are too many people still living and its still tied up in too many nations stories of themselves.

Its going to be a good hundred years I reckon before a historian can approach it with anything like a non biased academic attitude and even then there's the whole holocaust issue to deal with and I am not sure that the anguish over that will ever really settle to the point that some one can study it without emotion.

Having said that I don't think I want to live in a world where the deaths of so many doesn't create a sense of outrage?
    "Sometimes its better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness" T Pratchett

Comment

• Originally posted by DARKPLACE View Post
      It is though isn't it. One of my favourite games a few years ago was reading through WW2 books printed in the sixties and seventies written pre the release of the realities about Enigma and seeing how they handled events where Enigma played a part like the battle of the Atlantic etc .

You have some well written and researched books all of which you could use to teach a class on the war and all of them are utterly wrong.

To be honest I don't think the definitive book on world war two has been written and it probably wont be in my life time. Purely because there are too many people still living and its still tied up in too many nations stories of themselves.

Its going to be a good hundred years I reckon before a historian can approach it with anything like a non biased academic attitude and even then there's the whole holocaust issue to deal with and I am not sure that the anguish over that will ever really settle to the point that some one can study it without emotion.

Having said that I don't think I want to live in a world where the deaths of so many doesn't create a sense of outrage?
      Cannot that, therefore, be said for all historical events:- following that thinking why would WW2 be an exception? Surely all history is recorded through the prism of the individual historian's subjective viewpoint (or, especially ,the man in the pub).

Does all history only become accurate if written a century or so after the event: after the dust has settled, so to speak ?
      "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
      Samuel Johnson.

Comment

• Originally posted by BELGRAVE View Post
        Does all history only become accurate if written a century or so after the event: after the dust has settled, so to speak ?
        I suppose it could be dependent on the event. But if you look at the frequency that Lost Causers turn up as a barometer, the answer is definitely and assuredly NO!

Regards,
        Dennis
        If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

• Originally posted by BELGRAVE View Post
          Cannot that, therefore, be said for all historical events:- following that thinking why would WW2 be an exception? Surely all history is recorded through the prism of the individual historian's subjective viewpoint (or, especially ,the man in the pub).
          I think it all is. And it's not just subjectivity: knowing too much clouds things as knowing too little sometimes (most of the time?). I don't think the definitive book Darkplace is waiting for will ever be written. There is just too much information, and too much contradiction and subjectivity in the original material for it to ever be complete, and even overcoming that there will still be holes.

Write the so called definitive book on it and somebody else will write one that sees things differently a year later. Both will probably be as correct as the other though.
          Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

• Originally posted by Rojik View Post
            I think it all is. And it's not just subjectivity: knowing too much clouds things as knowing too little sometimes (most of the time?). I don't think the definitive book Darkplace is waiting for will ever be written. There is just too much information, and too much contradiction and subjectivity in the original material for it to ever be complete, and even overcoming that there will still be holes.

Write the so called definitive book on it and somebody else will write one that sees things differently a year later. Both will probably be as correct as the other though.
            I am pretty much resigned to the fact that when it does arrive its going to be a good thirty volumes. I also think that i am not going to bother holding my breath. There are too many variables and while the "truth" that gets taught at school now probably isn't the truth that's going to be taught in a few decades time you would have to be a damn sight cleverer than me to say which is valid.

I suppose each person will have their own view regarding it, dependant on their generation and perspective.
            "Sometimes its better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness" T Pratchett

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X