The Best Tank ... Of 1946

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Best Tank ... Of 1946

Don't know if this has been done yet, which Tank, in your opinion, would have been the most effective Tactically (Company/Platoon scale combat) had WW2 gone on another year...
    Task Force Regenbogen- Support and Paras

Originally posted by Dashy View Post
    Don't know if this has been done yet, which Tank, in your opinion, would have been the most effective Tactically (Company/Platoon scale combat) had WW2 gone on another year...
    I'd say Centurion.

Comment

I think for the all around attributes it would have been the Centurion.
      Attached Files
      Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Yup! Its got to be the Centurion for me too.

(A picture originally posted by Nick the Noodle on the Best tank Thread)

Paul
        Last edited by Dibble201Bty; 23 Aug 11, 00:37.
        ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
        All human ills he can subdue,
        Or with a bauble or medal
        Can win mans heart for you;
        And many a blessing know to stew
        To make a megloamaniac bright;
        Give honour to the dainty Corse,
        The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

What about the T-54? IIRC though serial production didn't start until 1947, the tank was there 1946.

But I'll be honest. The Centurion Is quite possibly the best tank ever made when compared to its peers.
          Task Force Regenbogen- Support and Paras

Comment

Going on specifications alone, I'll have wave the Red Banner and declare the T-54 leading the pack. It's based on a proven chassis, engine and gun (100mm D10 - this gun prods bottom way better than the 17pdr or the 90mm), and has superior armour thickness to the Centurion. Prototypes were around in 1945 and it was officially accepted in 1946, with limited production.

Comment

I did read one website which claimed the T-54 trials wasn't an overall success, any truth in this?
              "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
              Ernest Hemingway.

Sapere aude.

Comment

The Centurion as not only the best tank in 1946 but it also boasted the largest gun in Korea, and was probably the best tank then too.

Comment

Originally posted by Achtung Baby View Post
                  I did read one website which claimed the T-54 trials wasn't an overall success, any truth in this?
                  It got a suspended sentence and had to make reparations, but this was quashed on appeal.

Comment

Originally posted by Gencallan View Post
                    The Centurion as not only the best tank in 1946 but it also boasted the largest gun in Korea, and was probably the best tank then too.
                    The 20pdr of the Centurion was of smaller calibre (84mm) than the 90mm of the M-46 Patton and M-26 Pershing.

However, the T-54 has thicker armour, bigger gun, goes faster and farther than the Centurion. But, the crew does have to be midgets.

Comment

Don't think the 20-pdr was available until 1948.

But the 17-pdr firing APDS was still a better hole-puncher than the D-10.

Comment

Originally posted by broderickwells View Post
                        Going on specifications alone, I'll have wave the Red Banner and declare the T-54 leading the pack. It's based on a proven chassis, engine and gun (100mm D10 - this gun prods bottom way better than the 17pdr or the 90mm), and has superior armour thickness to the Centurion. Prototypes were around in 1945 and it was officially accepted in 1946, with limited production.
                        According to Zaloga's volume on the T-54 & T-55, the T-54 was accepted for service in April 1946 but production did not begin until 1947 at Nizhni Tagil, followed by Kharkov in 1948. So it was not ready for service at any time in 1946. Your latest Soviet medium tank actually in service during 1946 would be the T-44.
                        "Chatfield, there seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today!"
                        Vice Admiral Beatty to Flag Captain Chatfield; Battle of Jutland, 31 May - 1 June, 1916.

Comment

Don't forget IS-3 and M26, they are more in the Centurion league than T-54.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iosif_Stalin_tank#IS-3

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M26_Pershing

Comment

Originally posted by vathra View Post
                            Don't forget IS-3 and M26, they are more in the Centurion league than T-54.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iosif_Stalin_tank#IS-3

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M26_Pershing
                            Perhaps more importantly, both were actually in service during 1946.
                            "Chatfield, there seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today!"
                            Vice Admiral Beatty to Flag Captain Chatfield; Battle of Jutland, 31 May - 1 June, 1916.

Comment

The Centurion was certainly a fine tank, but by 1946 the 17 Pounder is getting a bit old. It really wasn't until it was armed with the 105 that it could be considered the best MBT around.
                              A wild liberal appears! Conservative uses logical reasoning and empirical evidence! It's super effective! Wild liberal faints.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X