Stalin dead 50 years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stalin dead 50 years

One to reflect on.... Stalin died 50 years ago today. His demise was announced on the following morning to scenes of widespread grief and hysteria throughout the Soviet Union. The Chief Patriarch of the Russian Orthodox Church and the Chief Rabbi offered prayers in his memory. Andrei Sakarov and Gorbachov wept when they heard the news.

Joseph Stalin had been leader of the Soviet Union for nearly 30 years. Though he is now considered responsible for the deaths of millions of his own people through famine and purges, when his death was announced to the people of the Soviet Union on March 6, 1953, many wept. He had led them to victory in World War II. He had been their leader, the Father of the Peoples, the Supreme Commander, the Generalissimo.
    Through a succession of bulletins, the Soviet people had been made aware that Stalin was gravely ill. At four in the morning of March 6, 1953, it was announced: "The heart of the comrade-in-arms and continuer of genius of Lenin's cause, of the wise leader and teacher of the Communist Party and the Soviet Union, has ceased to beat."

Joseph Stalin, 73 years of age, had suffered a cerebral hemorrhage and died at 9:50 p.m. on March 5, 1953.

Stalin's body was washed by a nurse and then carried via a white car to the Kremlin mortuary. There, an autopsy was performed. After the autopsy was completed, Stalin's body was given to the embalmers to prepare it for the three days it would lay-in-state.

Thousands of people lined up in the snow to see it. The crowds were so dense and chaotic outside that some people were trampled underfoot, others rammed against traffic lights, and some others choked to death. It is estimated that 500 people lost their lives while trying to get a glimpse of Stalin's corpse.

The body was then ceremoniously taken to Lenin's tomb on the Red Square in Moscow.

Only three speeches were made - one by Georgy Malenkov, another by Lavrenty Beria, and the third by Vyacheslav Molotov. Then, covered in black and red silk, Stalin's coffin was carried into the tomb. At noon, throughout the Soviet Union, came a loud roar - whistles, bells, guns, and sirens were blown in honor of Stalin.

http://stalin.narod.ru/

Even today there are many in the old SU who still honour his memory, probably because he represents a time of Iron discipline and social order and when Russia was feared and respected.

IMO he was a man of great political talent but had a black heart.... much like AH in that respect.

The child is Father to the Man.
    When Stalin was at the height of his power he went to visit his old mother back in Georgia.
    Now his dear old mother knew her son was recognized as a great man, like a "Red Tsar'' as he had explained to her on a previous visit. Much as he loved his mother one thing was playing on Stalin's mind at this meeting though. His mother used to thrash him on a regular basis for the slightest breaches of discipline (as had his father). So this time he finally broached the subject of all those terrible beatings he got.
    " Why did you beat me so Mother'', he asked.
    " Well looked how well you turned out my son'', mother replied.
    http://www.irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Re: Stalin dead 50 years

Originally posted by Wolfe Tone
    " Why did you beat me so Mother'', he asked.
    " Well looked how well you turned out my son'', mother replied.
    Sad, isn' it?
    Attached Files
    “To tell deliberate lies while genuinely believing in them, to forget any fact that has become inconvenient, and then when it becomes necessary again, to draw it back from oblivion for just so long as it is needed…” -1984 about the Big Lie

Comment

Too bad he couldn't have gone out like Hitler.The rest of the mass murderers of the 20th century were mere amatuers compared to that man.Were's his grave at?...i have a sudden urge to relieve myself.

Comment

SY:

Yes it is sad.
        Like the cartoon!....your troops put up a good fight which earned Stalin's grudging respect.

JP:

As far as I know his body is now buried back in Georgia, but where it was buried in the Kremlin wall is still a place of pilgrimage for the Party faithful. Please feel free to relieve yourself there if you must, but watch out for men with Sickles and Red Star badges in their lapels!

Comment

In a poll taken last year in Russia, there is still 30% of the population who believe that Stalin's leadership has been a positive one, and that it made Russia a better nation...

Comment

Stalin's obituary.

http://www.theonion.com/onion3908/history_3908.html
            "Speaking here in my capacity as a polished, sophisticated European as well, it seems to me the laugh here is on the polished, sophisticated Europeans. They think Americans are fat, vulgar, greedy, stupid, ambitious and ignorant and so on. And they've taken as their own Michael Moore, as their representative American, someone who actually embodies all of those qualities." - Christopher Hitchens

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfe Tone
              SY:

Yes it is sad.
              Like the cartoon!....your troops put up a good fight which earned Stalin's grudging respect.

JP:

As far as I know his body is now buried back in Georgia, but where it was buried in the Kremlin wall is still a place of pilgrimage for the Party faithful. Please feel free to relieve yourself there if you must, but watch out for men with Sickles and Red Star badges in their lapels!
              Never mind..sickles you say...i've already been sickled once tonight after making an off the cuff remark to one very nice girl after my tenth beer,and thats enough

Comment

Originally posted by kid kool
                Stalin's obituary.

http://www.theonion.com/onion3908/history_3908.html
                Yes...very witty!

Comment

The more programs I view about him, the more find out that he was a cold hearted evil bastard.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X