Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lord Gort, the BEF, Arras and Blitzkrieg - Yummy

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Lord Gort, the BEF, Arras and Blitzkrieg - Yummy

    John Vereker, sixth Viscount Gort, was a British soldier best known for his period in command of the B.E.F. in 1939-1940, which ended with the evacuation from Dunkirk.

    His full name was John Standish Surtees Prendergast Vereker, sixth Viscount Gort in the Irish Peerage, but he was normally refered to as Lord Gort.




    http://www.historyofwar.org/articles...lord_gort.html

    If you want some information on the man and his times that you will not normally find in books go to http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
    You will want Online Document CAB 66/17/3 which is free to download.

    These are Lord Gorts dispatches from the period of 1939-40. Included are the preparations and actions of this historic event from that mans perspective. A truly unique insight to that whole campaign - enjoy .
    How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
    Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

  • #2
    Good stuff, Nick! Thanks for sharing!
    "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

    Comment


    • #3
      http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/UN/U...ers/index.html

      An extended narrative account of the BEF's activities in France and Flanders between its arrival in France and its departure via the beaches of Dunkirk. Complements the sources Nick links to very well in my opinion.
      Signing out.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Full Monty View Post
        http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/UN/U...ers/index.html

        An extended narrative account of the BEF's activities in France and Flanders between its arrival in France and its departure via the beaches of Dunkirk. Complements the sources Nick links to very well in my opinion.
        Nice site .
        How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
        Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
          If you want some information on the man and his times that you will not normally find in books go to http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
          You will want Online Document CAB 66/17/3 which is free to download.

          These are Lord Gorts dispatches from the period of 1939-40. Included are the preparations and actions of this historic event from that mans perspective. A truly unique insight to that whole campaign - enjoy .
          Hi Nick, do you have the exact link to the search/or download function , takes me ages to find the right place.

          Comment


          • #6
            Montys view on Gort, or to give him his full titles 'Field Marshal John Standish Surtees Prendergast Vereker, 6th Viscount Gort VC, GCB, CBE, DSO & Two Bars, MVO, MC'

            "Gort was a most delightful person, a warm-hearted friend, sincere in his dealings, and incapable of anything mean or underhand. He was the perfect example of the best type of regimental office; he knew everything there was to know about the soldier, his clothing and boots, and the minor tactics of the battlefield. The highest command he had ever held before had been an infantry brigade. He was not clever and he did not bother about administration; his whole sould was in the battle and especially in the actions of fighting patrols in no-man's-land.

            Gort established his GHQ in and around Habarcq, the headquarters of the various branches occuoying thirteen villages covering an area of fifty square miles. This dispersed system called for a cumbersome network of communications. It was difficult to know where anyone was and command from the top suffered from te very beginning. It was an amazing layout.

            I have always held the opinion that Gort's appointment to command the BEF in September 1939 was a mistake; the job was above his ceiling."

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Gooner View Post
              Hi Nick, do you have the exact link to the search/or download function , takes me ages to find the right place.
              http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/d...doc_Id=7961525

              Click on add to shopping then checkout. You will need to entre your email address at that point, but then one more click, and it only takes seconds to download. Then it is an ebook for you to enjoy . Note it's free .
              How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
              Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

              Comment


              • #8
                excellent
                I often think how much easier the world would have been to manage if Herr Hitler and Signor Mussolini had been at Oxford. Lord Halifax

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Gooner View Post
                  Montys view on Gort, ...
                  snip ...
                  I have always held the opinion that Gort's appointment to command the BEF in September 1939 was a mistake; the job was above his ceiling."
                  I always had the view that Gort was a brave soldier but not especially intelligent. However, while idly turning the pages of Kenneth Harris's biography of Attlee, I found on pages 170-171 that Attlee was reported to have been told by Gort in January 1940 “Our reserves to meet a breakthrough seemed quite inadequate.” This seems rather prescient. Have we all misjudged Gort? Apparently Attlee went to Ironside with Gort's worries but was brushed off.

                  ps. Thank you Nick for the National Archive link.

                  Comment

                  Latest Topics

                  Collapse

                  Working...
                  X