Who was the best General of the War?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who was the best General of the War?

I know this is impossible really, but I'd like to read your opinions.

I'll listen to any well reasoned argument.

Being a Kiwi with our history with 8th Army etc I used to believe everything I was feed about Rommel's 'genius', but lately as I have read more I've discounted him.

Zhukov also used to be a favourite.

I'd like to know more about McCeery (8th Army CO Battle of the River Po) as he seems to have been one of the very few British generals who understood Combined arms mobile operations.

But, I suppose, I still have high regard for Freyberg (kiwi biais again) for not getting too many of his men killed (although he wasn't so good as a Corps CO). Guderian for really developing combined arms doctrine and Ike as I don't think anyone else had the ability to hold the Allies together in the west.

Your thoughts?

Patton and Bradley...........the two together could have been unstoppable, I believe.

Patton, without Bradley's "sense" of politics, etc. would have had a hard time on his own. (With the top army brass).

Major Gen. Richard Gale.........Brig. Gen. Nigel Poett.
    Teddy Roosevelt, Jr...........just for what he did on D-Day.

Credit has to be given to Monty also.

I would have to go, hands down, with Rommel for the Axis.

Mark
    Deo Vindice
    Si vis pacem, para bellum. (If you want peace, prepare for war.)

Comment

PATTON hands down!!!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
      Attached Files
      Peter Williams

"We're not lost private, we're in Normandy"-

Lt. Richard Winters 101st 506 pir

Comment

William Joseph Slim of Burma fame. Pound for pound, the best, the most brilliant of all WW2 commanders.

_______
        There is only one principle of war and that's this. Hit the other fellow, as quickly as you can, as hard as you can, where it hurts him most, when he ain't lookin'."
        - Sir William Joseph Slim, British Army, Field Marshal
        I hate it when I see one of those road signs that says "Draw Bridge Ahead" and I don't have a pencil.
        -Lou Chiafullo

Comment

I would say Patton:armed:
          B. FETT

Comment

Lol...

hmmm, sorry, but it still LOL...

Of course it is very hard to define what best mean, so it is very subjective...
            a brain cell

Comment

It has to be Mannerheim.

Cheers!

:armed:
              Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardS
                It has to be Mannerheim.

Cheers!

What the Finns were able to do against overwhelming odds is a direct credit to Mannerheim.

If Manstein isn't at least in the top three your just not studying the facts........
                Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance Williams
                  What the Finns were able to do against overwhelming odds is a direct credit to Mannerheim.

If Manstein isn't at least in the top three your just not studying the facts........

There we go:thumb:

Manstein is da man.
                  Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

I'm going to go with Patton. For the Axis, I'll say either Rommel or Manstein for the Axis. But, as I said in a thread about a different war, its better to judge by best at a certain level, such as Army Group, Army, etc.
                    "Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for"
                    "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step, and a lot of bitching"

Comment

Rommel, Patton, Zhukov for Battlefield.

Monty and Ike for Staff Work.
                      The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte

Comment

Originally posted by Lance Williams

Unfortunately, the question was what 3 generals were the best. But yeah, Manstein is 2nd. And for the Axis Model ranks high too.

Manstein

Model (Center of the photo)

Cheers!

Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Axis- Rommel and Manstein

Allies - Patton and Bradley

Other- Mannerheim

Skoal

Comment

Ill nominate Manstein"s post Stalingrad riposte. You have to read about it in Panzer Battles, by mellenthin.

I think the entire nazi reich woudlve collapsed if not for this brilliant defensive maneuver:terms:

Comment

:thumb: Eisenhower was by far the glue that held it all in place during the European conflict.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X