Ike: Countdown to D-Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ike: Countdown to D-Day

Alright, I just finished watching the movie and wanted to know what everybody thought of it. Personally, I liked it.
    "Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for"
    "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step, and a lot of bitching"

Re: Ike: Countdown to D-Day

Originally posted by GeorgiaDixie
    Alright, I just finished watching the movie and wanted to know what everybody thought of it. Personally, I liked it.
    I'm taping it later on tonight. Will watch it this week.
    http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

Comment

Ike countdown to D-day opnions

I just finished watching Tom selleck in Ike: countdown to D-day. I was very impressed with sellecks portrayl of Ike. The actor who portrayed monty was also very good. (the best yet). I was however unimpreesed with the actors who palyed Patton, and Bradley. The actor who played Churchill sounded like the prime minister, but I did not see a likeness in his looks!

Once again these are my opnions, I would really like to hear yours!

Thanks

CURRAHEE
      Peter Williams

"We're not lost private, we're in Normandy"-

Lt. Richard Winters 101st 506 pir

Comment

Re: Ike countdown to D-day opnions

Originally posted by eagle101
        I just finished watching Tom selleck in Ike: countdown to D-day. I was very impressed with sellecks portrayl of Ike. The actor who portrayed monty was also very good. (the best yet). I was however unimpreesed with the actors who palyed Patton, and Bradley. The actor who played Churchill sounded like the prime minister, but I did not see a likeness in his looks!

Thanks

CURRAHEE
        I agree with pretty much everything you said. Selleck did an excellent job as Ike, which is good, b/c if he hadn't the movie would have been bad. But who played Patton?! He was fat and I didn't believe for a second he was Patton. For one, he didn't stand ramrod straight when he was in the office with Ike. He looked kind of slumpy. His voice was closer to Patton's than George C. Scott's was, but Scott's portrayal was pretty much as good as it will ever be. And, in the same movie, Karl Madden did a better job as Bradley than this Bradley did. However, the actor who portrayed Bradley was alright. Luckily Patton had only one scene, or I'd really have been upset. I almost thought the man was John Goodman, but Goodman would have played a better Patton.

Comment

Re: Re: Ike: Countdown to D-Day

Originally posted by dannybou
          I'm taping it later on tonight. Will watch it this week.

They are playing it in Canada? I thought it was only being played in the states.

Comment

Thanks

CURRAHEE
            the guy that played Monty nailed him he even looked like him

they really went after the French in that movie and rightly so thay were just as bad and cowerdly then as they are now. Some things never change I guess

Comment

I just had to laugh at DeGaulle.....how could he have the Gaulle....sorry, bad pun.....to talk to the liberators of France like that (if he did so in real life that is....). I really hated how Patton was portrayed...yes he was a bit arrogant at times, but I really wished George C. Scott could have done Patton in this movie. Selleck did do a good job as Ike.
              Pvt. Bob Mana,
              Co. B, 3rd Maryland Vol. Infantry, 1st Brigade, 1st Division, 12th Corps, Union Army of the Potomac

For the Union

Comment

Good, but.....

First of all, I thought it was really good & worthwhile spending 2 hours to wacth - when there is so very little worthwhile on TV these days.

However, I agree with most that the Patton scene wasn't very good. I'm not sure why it was put in as it didn't seem to add much to the story. BTW, Patton was played by Gerald McRaney (sp?)

Comment

Thanks

CURRAHEE
                  Naw I think the guy who potrayed Monty in Patton was good, he supposedly had his voice down to a T.

"Patton I shan't kiss you."
                  Haven't seen it, we forgot about it and rented Full Metal Jacket and 8 billion other movies.
                  The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte

Comment

I don't know how it went in the movie but I do find it amazing that the fate of the entire German Army's defense lie on Hitler's word when FDR and Churchill never said a word and the only order Ike gave was "Okay, let's go!" and his job was done.
                    The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Ike: Countdown to D-Day

Originally posted by foster
                      They are playing it in Canada? I thought it was only being played in the states.
                      Do you get A&E Network?
                      Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

After the Washington Post's TV critic panned it, especially saying Selleck was terribly miscast I couldn't wait to see it.

He was WRONG about Selleck. He obviously has no great interest in history. About the only thing he got right was that the real star of the movie was tobacco......

I thought Selleck was solid and sturdy, just like Ike was. I thought the anguish that was involved in the decision making process was very evident. It also showed what Ike's true genius was.......juggling the egos of his subordinates towards the common goal of defeating Germany.

I thought the supporting characters who played Churchill and Monty were very good (I'm sorry I don't know their names, Brits you know). James Remar as Bradley and Timothy Bottoms as Beetle Smith were OK. An extremely bloated Gerald McRaney as Patton was less convincing, I doubt Patton hugged Ike after being given one last chance. Though I did enjoy Eisenhower dressing down Patton in the same scene. Also that at the same time Patton was telling his driver how he had played Ike, Ike was telling Smith he figured Patton might be thinking he had played him, but that was Ok because he'd need Patton later.

I was somewhat surprised to find out that Monty seemed to be the major force behind pushing for an earlier invasion date. I liked that Churchill recognized how image consious Monty was and even questioned how much you could trust a man that didn't smoke or drink. That was one of the more humorous asides. Probably the funniest moment was having King George, Churchill and Eisenhower ALL SIMULTANEOUSLY blowing smoke at Monty during a briefing scene, then Monty being what seemed the only non-smoker in the room.

Another funny scene was Eisenhower telling DeGaulle that he was the only representative of a nation that wasn't being a team player. I liked that Ike had the ability to tell an a**hole he was being an a**hole to his face.

Is it perfect, no, but it is a worthy addition to the cinematic history that tells the story of the days preceding D-Day.
                        Lance W.

Comment

Originally posted by PvtManaCoB3MD
                          I just had to laugh at DeGaulle.....how could he have the Gaulle....sorry, bad pun.....to talk to the liberators of France like that (if he did so in real life that is....). I really hated how Patton was portrayed...yes he was a bit arrogant at times, but I really wished George C. Scott could have done Patton in this movie. Selleck did do a good job as Ike.
                          If that talk between Ike and DeGaulle actually happened, it just shows why they picked Ike to be the Supreme Commander. Most other generals would have been yelling and getting extremely pissed at DeGaulle. Eisenhower took it all in stride. I can't believe even a Frenchman would be that much of an a**hole to a man who was attempting to liberate his country. As the scene was happening, I thought about Ike nodding his head, a car coming out of nowhere and hitting DeGaulle, and Ike finding a more pliant Frenchman to lead the Free French. Would have been pretty funny! :thumb:

Regrettably, George C. Scott died a few years back. Even if he hadn't, he would have been far too old to play Patton. I believe they could have left that scene out, though. And I didn't know about the division commander, Miller, being removed for his loud mouth before the invasion.

Comment

The ability to coach, motivate, manage, and not just shoot out of hand the incredible egos that were aligned on Allies side was the true grace of Eisenhower. Personally, I think the world would of been a better place if a tragedy had befallen DeGald.

The relief of Gen Miller showed a part of Ike's character that might of been missed. His dedication to the mission was such that nothing would stand in its way. The same held true with to drop or not drop debate 72 hours out.

I found it interesting that a large part of the airborne debate in the movie centered around the deep drop option that Marshall proposed. In the WNG board, we've pretty well beat that horse to a bloody pulp.

Comment

Originally posted by RetPara

I found it interesting that a large part of the airborne debate in the movie centered around the deep drop option that Marshall proposed. In the WNG board, we've pretty well beat that horse to a bloody pulp.
                              I also thought it was interesting so much was mentioned about it after there had been so much heated debate on the related thread.
                              Lance W.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X