The fate of Maj. Konig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The fate of Maj. Konig

I had read a book (don't remember the title) that pointed out something interesting about the fate of Major Konig the German sniper:

The man killed at Stalingrad was his understudy, the hype put out was Soviet propaganda and Konig was never there.

Supposedly his I.D. Discs were discovered in Normandy about the time of Operation Cobra and the other breakouts.

Anyone hear of these before?
    The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte

fate of Maj. Konig

I read that Maj. Konig was actually killed in Stalingrad. In the movie Enemy at the Gates it showed a many months long battle between him and Zaitsev. This is partialy true. Zaitsev did kill him but the battle lasted days not months. His understudy as you stated earlier was killed in the real multple month battle.
    Whoever is first in the field and awaits the coming of the enemy, will be fresh for the fight; whoever is second in the field and has to hasten to battle will arrive exhausted.- Sun Tzu
    Spies are the most important asset, because on them depends an army's ability to march. - Sun Tzu

Comment

Re: The fate of Maj. Konig

Originally posted by BarcelonaBlom
      I had read a book (don't remember the title) that pointed out something interesting about the fate of Major Konig the German sniper:

The man killed at Stalingrad was his understudy, the hype put out was Soviet propaganda and Konig was never there.

Supposedly his I.D. Discs were discovered in Normandy about the time of Operation Cobra and the other breakouts.

Williams Craig's book "Enemy at the Gates: The Battle for Stalingrad" (1972) indicated that Konig (he spelled it Koenings) died at Stalingrad, and his book was based on British, American and German research, since the Soviets were not cooperative. I have no definitive statement about Konig, maybe he did die at Normandy, or maybe he returned to the Sniper School, and died of old age in some tiny German village, forgotten by the world.
      Mens Est Clavis Victoriae
      (The Mind Is The Key To Victory)

Comment

I hate how the movie Hollywood-ized the ending.....if it had been the true ending, I think that would have been much more suspenseful. (at least for us history nuts)

Russians with English accents? Who knew!? Although Ed Harris did an excellent job as Koenig
        Pvt. Bob Mana,
        Co. B, 3rd Maryland Vol. Infantry, 1st Brigade, 1st Division, 12th Corps, Union Army of the Potomac

For the Union

Comment

Only in hollywood could the put in a sex scene in a "historical" war movie.
          "If my theory of realitivity is proved true, then France will declare me a citizen of the world and Germany will call me a German. However, if it is proved untrue, then France will call me a German, and Germany a jew."

-Albert Einstein

Comment

Re: Re: The fate of Maj. Konig

Originally posted by hogdriver
            Williams Craig's book "Enemy at the Gates: The Battle for Stalingrad" (1972) indicated that Konig (he spelled it Koenings) died at Stalingrad, and his book was based on British, American and German research, since the Soviets were not cooperative. I have no definitive statement about Konig, maybe he did die at Normandy, or maybe he returned to the Sniper School, and died of old age in some tiny German village, forgotten by the world.
            Has any new info come to light with the opening of Soviet records?
            Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Re: The fate of Maj. Konig

Originally posted by BarcelonaBlom

I read the book "Enemy at the Gates", by William Craig (as opposed to the exercise in fantasy that was the movie), and in this, Craig indicates that Major Koenings (as he spelled it) did die at Stalingrad.
              Mens Est Clavis Victoriae
              (The Mind Is The Key To Victory)

Comment

On my Information Major König was II Leader of the 334. INFANTERIE DIVISION. The Division was build Autumm 1942 in Grafenwöhr and reached in Dezember 1942 Africa.

Zaitsev´s Rifle is in the Stalingrad Museum Mocow.
                The Scope from Major König is in the Museum for Armed Forces.

Zaitsev was really in Germany for train in 1920.

Grettings Sebastian
                "American Soldiers in Battle don´t fight for what some President say on T.V. , they don´t fight for mom, apple pie, the American flag........
                They fight for one another ."

Lt.General Hal Moore
                HQ

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X