Patton Conspiracy??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patton Conspiracy??

During the days following the German surrender, as you all well know, General Patton made some "comments" that were not exactly politically correct. Such as using ex-Nazi's in administrative positions, and his view that the US and Britain should re-arm the Germans and take over Russia.
    It has been stated that Patton's temperament was somewhat of a "liability" during peacetime.

I have not read anywhere or thought of this before, although it may be out there.
    Could Patton have possibly been "targeted" by the US and/or Britain and/or the Soviet Union for his comments, etc., for "assassination" to "help" move the peace process along?
    From the reading I have done, the vehicle accident that resulted in the death of Patton was not a severe accident. It has even been said that his death was more of a "fluke" because of the lack of damage to the vehicle, etc.
    There were other instances of him nearly losing his life "after" the war by "accidental" means.

What do you think?

Mark
    Deo Vindice
    Si vis pacem, para bellum. (If you want peace, prepare for war.)

I don't really think that anyone targeted him. Patton's death was the result of an anurysm(sp?), which can happen literally to either you or me at almost any time, with or without the benefit of an auto accident (though it couldn't have helped). Patton was recovering nicely from his wounds in the hospital until the anurysm happened and his health deteriorated pretty quickly after that.
    As for the assasination, Gen. Patton was pretty popular with the folks at home (except during the slapping 'incidents' and the parents/loved ones of those in his Third Army) and despite remarks out of favor with the allied high commands, he was too public a figure to be stealthly snuffed out, IMHO.

Comment

Accidents happen all the time; look at the number of training and non-combat accidents that occur on a weekly basis. Granted most aren't to division and army commanders, but who's to say they couldn't be killed when their personal car blows a tire and they run off the road and hit a tree?

I'm not one to think there was a conspiracy to take him out no matter the evidence for it.
      If voting could really change things, it would be illegal.

Comment

I know that anyone can die from a number of reasons.
        I just wonder that after he was relieved of command of the 3rd Army, when Bradley told him they would have to become more politicians than soldiers. Patton just laughed.
        He pissed the Russians off by his comments, he pissed some of the Americans off because of his treatment of a "very few" number of his soldiers.
        The biggest factor I can think of is his "reluctance" to persue diplomatic ties with the USSR instead of using the beaten Germans to kick the USSR's (communists') rears.
        This would have been a blow to Truman as a world leader.
        He couldnt let the world let it be known that Patton was not willing to work on diplomacy. Nor could he sit back and allow Patton to keep making such comments as above.
        There was too much support for his idea of taking Russia while "we were there", and the feelings the Germans already had about the Russians due to the long campaign in the East.

Mark
        Deo Vindice
        Si vis pacem, para bellum. (If you want peace, prepare for war.)

Comment

I think that if the U.S. government wanted him out they would have just fired him. Truman had no trouble-firing dugout Doug later. Maybe I’m naive but I don’t think we went around killing our own people back then.
          Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

Comment

patton hero

Patton was too good a leader to be a target for the army. He did make some bad comments about the russians. The U.S. army liked him, I disagree, no one would draw a bead on "OLD BLOOD AND GUTS".

Peter Williams

"We're not lost private, we're in Normandy"-

Lt. Richard Winters 101st 506 pir

Comment

I think Paton wanted to finish the job as he saw it. He felt that the communist block spreading was a huge threat. Therefore lets take them out now while we are here.

Would the public support it? Most likely not.

Could we have beaten Russia? That's a good qustion.

If you remember the first Gulf War the President had to pull on the leash when some General wanted to ride and get Saddam. Alas we were just there to free a country not get the dictator...

Comment

Well, this is certainly one of the big conspiracy theories for those who believe in such things.

I don't.

I don't believe that the US Army, or even the US government would kill a war hero for making some out-of-school comments.

I think history is right on Patton's death.

JS
                Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
                Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
                http://www.mormon.org
                http://www.sca.org
                http://www.scv.org/
                http://www.scouting.org/

Comment

It was all a conspiracy! The government man..... It may not have been our government, but it was a government. Maybe it was the ruskies, or maybe the defeated Nazis? Someon wanted him bumped off.

Comment

I just think his number was up.
                    "War is the remedy our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want."
                    General William "Uncle Billy" Sherman

Comment

Patton -a show pony?

I'm back to my review of all ACG posts from Day One.
                      Where is this last_cav1971 now-days?
                      He has not posted for eight years. Was it something he said? Was it something we said?

Come back young man all is forgiven. You interest lodestar (ergo you matter)

Anyway his odd post on Patton presents an opportunity for me to present the following from the esteemed John Ellis about Patton which I posted some years ago (it pleases lodestar to knock on neighbourhood doors and run away before they are answered, it pleases lodestar to revive a decade old thread... Yo and verily was there ere such a one as lodestar?)

"I’m drawn yet again to the historian John Ellis in his book ‘Brute Force’ who has some fascinating perspectives on Patton’s performance.as well as the whole 1944-45 western allied effort.

His basic premise as I have mentioned before, is that the Germans were simply swamped by overwhelming allied material and logistical superiority and that allied ‘performance’ is not a matter for fair comparison with the Germans (who in addition had been gutted by 3 yeas flat-out fighting in the east).

He concedes Patton could manoeuvre and advance like crazy at times, however he contends that when this happened it was for a very simple reason: nearly no opposition!

He points out that in the breakout from Normandy "that by the time Patton moved off, the Germans had already began to withdraw and there was no longer any real chance of trapping large numbers of Germans or of actually getting in among the retreating units and provoking a complete administrative collapse."

He adds that:
                      "authentic mobile operations are a very different thing from a simple pursuit, the former subsume actual attacks against the original enemy line and an adroit sequence of blows that causes this line to break......it also usually implies the necessity to fight enemy rearguards and decisions about whether such groups can be safely bypassed and how many troops should be left behind to contain them.
                      Almost none of this, however, figured in Patton’s dash across northern France which,.....was more of triumphal procession than an actual military offensive.

Logistically it was a tremendous feat. General Patton should always be remembered as one of the best traffic policemen in the history of warfare, but in no other way does his advance really stand up as a significant military achievement. There was neither much opposition at the beginning - First army veterans remain adamant that ‘he didn’t break out; he walked out’ -nor was there ever one occasion on which a major rearguard had to be dislodged or an important body of German troops actually headed off by the Third Army."

Ellis sums up the mid - late 1944 campaign in North West Europe as: "acute German shortages on one hand and on the other an Allied cornucopia which could provide an overwhelming level of firepower and remorseless stream of replacements that could compensate for all but the grossest tactical betise. Add skilled public relations and press hungry for heroes, and you had circumstances that even Montgomery and Patton could seem like great commanders."

He describes the campaign in North Western Europe in 1945 as 'mortician’s flourish'.

Ellis again, this time on Patton’s drive to relieve Bastonge in Dec ’44:
                      “In fact although Patton (a self-proclaimed ‘genius’)was facing an outnumbered, outgunned, outarmoured force holding a hopelessly overextended line, it took him five days to advance one armoured column (similar to the one column situation XXX Corps face at MG), the westernmost into Bastonge, another week to push the Germans away from the southern perimeter and a further two weeks to drive through to Houffalize.
                      How long he might have taken without the benefit of massive superiority in ground and airborne firepower can only be guessed. But certainly too long for a genius.”

No, I’m not convinced Patton was the cure-all the hype makes him out to be. He made great copy but in the same league as the great German and Soviet commanders?

Another oldie but goodie from lodestar (the greatest Australian who ever lived?....or is history's verdict still to be passed?)

Comment

This is one (a famous one) of many Second World War conspiracy theories that I personally don't believe or expect anyone (especially members of this military history forum) to believe.

If the American (US) military wanted to remove General George S. Patton from his position or the military totally they would have either demoted or fired him. The accident, like accidents in general, just happened and a true shame it was.

Comment

Much of what Ellis write's i find little fault in. Patton as good, perhaps even a great American of WW2, ok. When you have endless supplies, air superiority, out number your opponent...just how great do you have to be?
                          "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

I think it's bullshit. When your number's up, it's up. Period. Fate just kind of looks around and sees what death circumstances suits the best when the clock strikes, and that's it and no more. Cause, then Effect.
                            Long ago I read some nonsensical article about somebody rigging up a special rifle that fired a standard bolt (like the kind associated with nuts) to hit his neck. Oh please. Right. Gimme a break. It was just Georgie's time to go and an accident did the deed.
                            Youthful Exuberance Is No Match For Old Age And Treachery.

Comment

Originally posted by HMS Jr. View Post
                              I think it's bullshit. When your number's up, it's up. Period. Fate just kind of looks around and sees what death circumstances suits the best when the clock strikes, and that's it and no more. Cause, then Effect.
                              Long ago I read some nonsensical article about somebody rigging up a special rifle that fired a standard bolt (like the kind associated with nuts) to hit his neck. Oh please. Right. Gimme a break. It was just Georgie's time to go and an accident did the deed.
                              Patton died in an car accident which would be called a fender-bender in the USA, just the front of the car was damaged, there was no damage in the passenger compartment. Patton broke his neck because he was taken unaware by the accident and thrown against the bulkhead( no seatbelts in them days) between the passenger and driver compartments with his head turned because he had been looking through the side window. Both his driver and one of his oldest friends who was with him for a shooting holiday were uninjured in the accident.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                                Berlin.1945
                                by casanova
                                The Sowjet T-34 tank against a German Tiger tank in Berlin in the II World War in 1945. ...
                                Yesterday, 23:41
                              • casanova
                                AW 169M
                                by casanova
                                The Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner declared the buy of 18 Italian military helicopters of the type AW 169M for the Austrian army, the Bundesheer....
                                Yesterday, 23:26
                              • JBark
                                What changed?
                                by JBark
                                There was a time not too long ago when this forum was full of discussion, multiple posts, votes and involved discussions on the best of the war, etc.,...
                                Yesterday, 18:54
                              Working...
                              X