Who were these vain SOBs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MarkV
    started a topic Who were these vain SOBs?

Who were these vain SOBs?

In the introduction to a collection of his wartime despatches John Steinbeck writes of "a very famous general officer constantly changed press agents because he felt he didn't get enough headlines" and "the commander who broke a Signal Corps sergeant for photographing his wrong profile". Can anyone identify there two beauties?

• R.N. Armstrong
    replied
    Originally posted by MarkV View Post

See my previous post
    If you check the timing on our posts, I was composing my reply while you posted your observation on MacArthur. However, the author of First Casualty of War thought Steinbeck's remark could include Pacific commanders as well as European.

Leave a comment:

• MarkV
    replied
    Originally posted by Aber View Post
    On the photographer, I'd suspect Mark Clark - IIRC he issued instruction on which profile should be photographed, but I've never seen the claim about someone being busted for breaking it.
    Yep he was my first thought

Leave a comment:

• MarkV
    replied
    Originally posted by BELGRAVE View Post

Why would the US Signal Corps want to take photographs of Montgomery ?
    And Monty couldn't break a US Corps of Signals sergeant (and there were some in the US Army might have promoted him for taking an unflattering shot of Monty)

Leave a comment:

• Aber
    replied
    On the photographer, I'd suspect Mark Clark - IIRC he issued instruction on which profile should be photographed, but I've never seen the claim about someone being busted for breaking it.

Leave a comment:

• BELGRAVE
    replied
    Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

North Africa makes it Montgomery/
    Why would the US Signal Corps want to take photographs of Montgomery ?

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied

Steinbeck reported from North Africa and Italy. This would seem to rule out MacArthur.His intro has a dig at Patton by name
    North Africa makes it Montgomery/

Leave a comment:

• Pruitt
    replied
    General Mark Clark in Italy was very concerned about his press coverage.

Pruitt

Leave a comment:

• MarkV
    replied
    Originally posted by R.N. Armstrong View Post
    My money is on MacArthur for both incidents. The photo incident was probably during the staging of MacArthur's wading through the water in a return to the Philippines.

The "First Casualty of War" relates the Steinbeck observations with a commentary that these were the types of incidents reporters and writers would not dare to publish.
    See my previous post

Leave a comment:

• R.N. Armstrong
    replied
    My money is on MacArthur for both incidents. The photo incident was probably during the staging of MacArthur's wading through the water in a return to the Philippines.

The "First Casualty of War" relates the Steinbeck observations with a commentary that these were the types of incidents reporters and writers would not dare to publish.

Leave a comment:

• MarkV
    replied
    Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Patton and MacArthur?
    Steinbeck reported from North Africa and Italy. This would seem to rule out MacArthur.His intro has a dig at Patton by name

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    In the introduction to a collection of his wartime despatches John Steinbeck writes of "a very famous general officer constantly changed press agents because he felt he didn't get enough headlines" and "the commander who broke a Signal Corps sergeant for photographing his wrong profile". Can anyone identify there two beauties?
    Patton and MacArthur?

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X