Who were these vain SOBs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who were these vain SOBs?

In the introduction to a collection of his wartime despatches John Steinbeck writes of "a very famous general officer constantly changed press agents because he felt he didn't get enough headlines" and "the commander who broke a Signal Corps sergeant for photographing his wrong profile". Can anyone identify there two beauties?
    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
    In the introduction to a collection of his wartime despatches John Steinbeck writes of "a very famous general officer constantly changed press agents because he felt he didn't get enough headlines" and "the commander who broke a Signal Corps sergeant for photographing his wrong profile". Can anyone identify there two beauties?
    Patton and MacArthur?
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Patton and MacArthur?
      Steinbeck reported from North Africa and Italy. This would seem to rule out MacArthur.His intro has a dig at Patton by name
      Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)

Comment

My money is on MacArthur for both incidents. The photo incident was probably during the staging of MacArthur's wading through the water in a return to the Philippines.

The "First Casualty of War" relates the Steinbeck observations with a commentary that these were the types of incidents reporters and writers would not dare to publish.
        Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

Originally posted by R.N. Armstrong View Post
          My money is on MacArthur for both incidents. The photo incident was probably during the staging of MacArthur's wading through the water in a return to the Philippines.

The "First Casualty of War" relates the Steinbeck observations with a commentary that these were the types of incidents reporters and writers would not dare to publish.
          See my previous post

Comment

General Mark Clark in Italy was very concerned about his press coverage.

Pruitt
            Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Steinbeck reported from North Africa and Italy. This would seem to rule out MacArthur.His intro has a dig at Patton by name
              North Africa makes it Montgomery/
              Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

North Africa makes it Montgomery/
                Why would the US Signal Corps want to take photographs of Montgomery ?
                "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
                Samuel Johnson.

Comment

On the photographer, I'd suspect Mark Clark - IIRC he issued instruction on which profile should be photographed, but I've never seen the claim about someone being busted for breaking it.

Comment

Originally posted by BELGRAVE View Post

Why would the US Signal Corps want to take photographs of Montgomery ?
                    And Monty couldn't break a US Corps of Signals sergeant (and there were some in the US Army might have promoted him for taking an unflattering shot of Monty)

Comment

Originally posted by Aber View Post
                      On the photographer, I'd suspect Mark Clark - IIRC he issued instruction on which profile should be photographed, but I've never seen the claim about someone being busted for breaking it.
                      Yep he was my first thought

Comment

See my previous post
                        If you check the timing on our posts, I was composing my reply while you posted your observation on MacArthur. However, the author of First Casualty of War thought Steinbeck's remark could include Pacific commanders as well as European.
                        Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X