X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fenrir
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance Williams
    Its a good thing General Theodore Roosevelt, Jr. arthritis and all was on Omaha Beach June 6, 1944........
    .....on Utah beach.......

after realizing that the landings were somewhat off-course, isn't he quoted as saying something like "well, this is as good a place as any to start the war"

also the highest ranking officer on any of the beaches on D-Day, i beleive....

Leave a comment:

• Sarge
    replied
    Its a good thing General Theodore Roosevelt, Jr. arthritis and all was on Omaha Beach June 6, 1944........
    Roosevelt :crazy: you fogot to mention he had to change his uniform becuase it was wet and that was bad luck. And one other thing do you really think he was in a danger.

Leave a comment:

• Lance Williams
    replied
    Originally posted by paul mullin
    That was General Norman Cotta on Omaha beach. not T.R. Jr
    OOPS.......wrong beach, right general

Leave a comment:

• paul mullin
    replied
    That was General Norman Cotta on Omaha beach. not T.R. Jr

Leave a comment:

• paul mullin
    replied
    Not so good, because he was assistant division CO of the 4th ID,
    and they landed on Utah beach.

Sorrry!!

Leave a comment:

• ER_Chaser
    replied
    Originally posted by Tigersqn
    Lucian Truscott or Lawton Collins

BTW ER, you really hate Mac don't you ?:nonono:
    lol ... I do not even know him ... (I mean, no personal contact )

But surely, I do not like this figure. In fact, it is more a "style" problem rather than his real deeds. I mean, if he is not so outspoken, not so arrogant, I might have liked him. Probably the most influential book about him onto my mind is Ridgeway's Korean War. To me, if a general would make his subordinate write a book like that to describe him, this man is terrible.

Probably I am also fooled by Ridgeway, because I kinda like this guy... (after reading his book ... sure, that is a conflict of interest.) ...:terms:

Leave a comment:

• tigersqn
    replied
    Lucian Truscott or Lawton Collins

BTW ER, you really hate Mac don't you ?:nonono:

Leave a comment:

• Lance Williams
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ER_Chaser
    replied
    Originally posted by paul mullin
    I will go with Collins, or possibly that annoying and arrogant Macarthur. He did more with less than most u.s. Generals, and look at Korea, everyone thought Inchon would be a disaster, but
    old dugout Doug stuck to his guns and won a great victory.
    and then lost like a whipped dog?

Leave a comment:

• paul mullin
    replied
    I will go with Collins, or possibly that annoying and arrogant Macarthur. He did more with less than most u.s. Generals, and look at Korea, everyone thought Inchon would be a disaster, but
    old dugout Doug stuck to his guns and won a great victory.

Leave a comment:

• LaPalice
    replied
    I choose Patton.
    Why ? Because his troops liberated my mother's town in 44, Redon, if I am not wrong. She remembers well the day when the GI's enter in her street. She said me that in her mind the Americans always had a smiley on their face.

LaPalice.

Leave a comment:

• Irreverent
    started a topic Best USA General?

Best USA General?

I vote for Lawton Collins =)

He was not a prima donna, he did more with less, and he didnt throw temper tantrums when he didnt get what he asked for.

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X