Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best USA General?

I vote for Lawton Collins =)

He was not a prima donna, he did more with less, and he didnt throw temper tantrums when he didnt get what he asked for.

I choose Patton.
    Why ? Because his troops liberated my mother's town in 44, Redon, if I am not wrong. She remembers well the day when the GI's enter in her street. She said me that in her mind the Americans always had a smiley on their face.

LaPalice.
    Monsieur de La Palice est mort
    Mort devant Pavie.
    Un quart d'heure avant sa mort
    Il était encore en vie...

Comment

I will go with Collins, or possibly that annoying and arrogant Macarthur. He did more with less than most u.s. Generals, and look at Korea, everyone thought Inchon would be a disaster, but
      old dugout Doug stuck to his guns and won a great victory.

Comment

Originally posted by paul mullin
        I will go with Collins, or possibly that annoying and arrogant Macarthur. He did more with less than most u.s. Generals, and look at Korea, everyone thought Inchon would be a disaster, but
        old dugout Doug stuck to his guns and won a great victory.
        and then lost like a whipped dog?
        Attn to ALL my opponents:

If you sent me your turn and after 24 hours, you still did not get anything from me, please be sure to post in the forum to ask for what is going on.

Remember, I ALWAYS reply within 24 hours, even if I do NOT have time to play my turn, in which case I will at least send you email to tell you that I will have to play it later, but I DO receive your turn.

Comment

Its a good thing General Theodore Roosevelt, Jr. arthritis and all was on Omaha Beach June 6, 1944........
          Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Lucian Truscott or Lawton Collins

BTW ER, you really hate Mac don't you ?:nonono:
            Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

Originally posted by Tigersqn
              Lucian Truscott or Lawton Collins

BTW ER, you really hate Mac don't you ?:nonono:
              lol ... I do not even know him ... (I mean, no personal contact )

But surely, I do not like this figure. In fact, it is more a "style" problem rather than his real deeds. I mean, if he is not so outspoken, not so arrogant, I might have liked him. Probably the most influential book about him onto my mind is Ridgeway's Korean War. To me, if a general would make his subordinate write a book like that to describe him, this man is terrible.

Probably I am also fooled by Ridgeway, because I kinda like this guy... (after reading his book ... sure, that is a conflict of interest.) ...:terms:
              Attn to ALL my opponents:

If you sent me your turn and after 24 hours, you still did not get anything from me, please be sure to post in the forum to ask for what is going on.

Remember, I ALWAYS reply within 24 hours, even if I do NOT have time to play my turn, in which case I will at least send you email to tell you that I will have to play it later, but I DO receive your turn.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance Williams
                Its a good thing General Theodore Roosevelt, Jr. arthritis and all was on Omaha Beach June 6, 1944........
                Not so good, because he was assistant division CO of the 4th ID,
                and they landed on Utah beach.

Sorrry!!

Comment

That was General Norman Cotta on Omaha beach. not T.R. Jr

Comment

Originally posted by paul mullin
                    That was General Norman Cotta on Omaha beach. not T.R. Jr
                    OOPS.......wrong beach, right general
                    Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Roosevelt :crazy: you fogot to mention he had to change his uniform becuase it was wet and that was bad luck. And one other thing do you really think he was in a danger.

Comment

.....on Utah beach.......

after realizing that the landings were somewhat off-course, isn't he quoted as saying something like "well, this is as good a place as any to start the war"

also the highest ranking officer on any of the beaches on D-Day, i beleive....
                        Givin' you the scoop, the poop, the skinny and the scuttlebutt since 1969!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                          Berlin.1945
                          by casanova
                          The Sowjet T-34 tank against a German Tiger tank in Berlin in the II World War in 1945. ...
                          Yesterday, 23:41
                        • casanova
                          AW 169M
                          by casanova
                          The Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner declared the buy of 18 Italian military helicopters of the type AW 169M for the Austrian army, the Bundesheer....
                          Yesterday, 23:26
                        • JBark
                          What changed?
                          by JBark
                          There was a time not too long ago when this forum was full of discussion, multiple posts, votes and involved discussions on the best of the war, etc.,...
                          Yesterday, 18:54
                        Working...
                        X