Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any watch the Hitler Mini-series? I want to discuss it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any watch the Hitler Mini-series? I want to discuss it!

Hi Guys,

I saw all of Part 1 last night but missed all of Part 2 except for final, bloody 20 minutes.

Say what you will about the movie, but I was captivated by Carlyle's portrayal of AH. It was creepy and mesmorizing.

He really had his mannerisms down pat. And just had a really scary look about him. I knew going in that it would be a hollywood movie, but that aside, I thought they did a nice job.

I did not know about Hitler turning on the SA. In fact, kind of weird that the SS took out the SA. How ironic.

What did you guys think?
    TankDawg

Jeff Newell

Re: Any watch the Hitler Mini-series? I want to discuss it!

Originally posted by TankDawg
    What did you guys think?
    Fascism? I'm against it.

Hitler's rise to power in a republican government is a fascinating subject.

Comment

Re: Any watch the Hitler Mini-series? I want to discuss it!

Originally posted by "Brian W
      Hitler's rise to power in a republican government is a fascinating subject.
      Too true.

For anyone interested, I can recommend Michael Burleigh's book 'The Third Reich - A New History' (ISBN 0-330-48757-4). Compelling and disturbing, to say the least.

Comment

Actually Hitler had little choice but to turn on the SA. The regular army Generals told him that they would not support him unless the SA hoodlums and thugs were disarmed. Since Hitler really needed the experience and support of the army he wisely chose to heed their wishes. It just shows how dangerous it was to be around Hitler, even if you thought he was your friend.

I also watched the mini-series and I agree they did a great job with it. I didn't get to see it all but from what I saw it was fairly accurate historically. It's kind of scary that a raving madman can come to power in a democratic state such as Germany, but I guess amidst rampant unemployment and inflation people tend to lose the objectivity.
        Greg Hubbard

"Faith makes things possible, not easy."

Comment

The mini-series was on tele here in New Zealand not so long ago. Whilst I was impressed by the first in the series the second really lacked any kind of tension from a dramatic point of view.

In regards to Robert Carlyles performance I remember reading an article in the Sunday Times as to how he did not want to portray Hitler as "human". Seeing the result, I'd have to agree-he is a mad dog from almost the get-go. Don't get me wrong, he was an evil man but in my opinion perhaps the best way to have portrayed this was to "humanise" him, to show that it wasn't a "monster" who did this, but a human being, capable, in his own warped way, of rationalising his terrible actions and the consequences of those actions. A warning for us here in the present, rather than simply a portrayal of events 70 odd years ago.

My 2 cents worth
          Gary

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Karri
            Prawn heads
            by Karri
            How do you cook them? How do you eat them?

So far I've always just twisted them off, and discarded it along with the shells and such, only...
            Yesterday, 11:40
          • Jose50
            Thoughts on the US abandoning NATO
            by Jose50
            Now may be a good time for the NATO countries to start beefing up their materiel, personnel and alliances. There is a decided wave here in the US that...
            Yesterday, 08:41
          • Von Richter
            Sagittarius Rising...
            by Von Richter
            Just having a re-read of this book after it's stood for donkey's years on the bookshelf. Once again, within the first couple of pages, I'm transported...
            Yesterday, 01:19
          Working...
          X