X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did General Patton die??

I know he died at the age of 60 but how
    Maggiore :p

From this day to the ending of the world we in it shall be remembered. We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.
    -Carwood Lipton quoting Henry VI

Originally posted by MaggioreItalian View Post
    I know he died at the age of 60 but how
    Easy answer is "car wreck". Hard answer is "why". Or is there a "why"? Seen Elvis lately?

Welcome to the forums.
    My Avatar: Ivan W. Henderson Gunner/navigator B-25-26. 117 combat missions. Both Theaters. 11 confirmed kills. DSC.

Comment

Patton was involved in a traffic accident 9 Dec 45, one day before he was to return to the US, outside Mannhiem. He died 21 Dec 45 of a embolism in a Hiedelburg hospital.
      If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

On December 9, 1945, in Germany a day before he was due to return to the United States, Patton was severely injured in a road accident. He and his chief of staff, Major General Hobart R. "Hap" Gay, were on a daytrip to hunt pheasants in the country outside Mannheim. Their 1939 Cadillac Model 75 was driven by PFC Horace Woodring (1926 - 2003). Patton sat in the back seat, on the right with General Gay on his left, as per custom. At 11:45 near Neckarstadt, (Käfertal), a 2½ ton truck driven by T/5 Robert L. Thompson appeared out of the haze and made a left-hand turn towards a side road. The Cadillac smashed into the truck. General Patton was thrown forward and his head struck a metal part of the partition between the front and back seats. Gay and Woodring were uninjured. Paralyzed from the neck down, George Patton died of an embolism on December 21, 1945 at the military hospital in Heidelberg, Germany with his wife present.

Patton's grave in LuxembourgPatton was buried at the Luxembourg American Cemetery and Memorial in Hamm, Luxembourg along with other members of the Third Army[8]. On March 19, 1947, his body was moved from the original grave site in the cemetery to its current prominent location at the head of his former troops. A cenotaph was placed at the Wilson-Patton family plot at the San Gabriel Cemetery in San Gabriel, California, adjacent to the Church of Our Saviour (Episcopal), where Patton was baptized and confirmed. In the narthex of the sanctuary of the church is a stained glass window honor which features, among other highlights of Patton's career, a picture of him riding in a tank. A statue of General Patton is between the church and the family plot. Patton's car was repaired and used by other officers. The car is now on display, with other Patton artifacts, at the General George Patton Museum at Fort Knox, Kentucky.
        Just like children sleeping, we can dream this night away... ~NY

Comment

Looks like I got here to late but yes he did die from injuries from a car accident in Germany.

Any way welcome to the forums
          "You can tell a lot about a fella's character by whether he picks out all of one color or just grabs a handful." -explaining why Reagan liked to have a jar of jelly beans on hand for important meetings

CO for 1st S.INC Shock Security Troop

Comment

M.I, a good start!!

you may be going places here.

Cheers, have a good time at ACG.

Comment

Thanks!!

From this day to the ending of the world we in it shall be remembered. We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

Comment

Oddly enough; Patton's protege (Walton Walker) also died in a jeep accident that collided with a truck in Korea. Talk about emulating your hero!!
                Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Very funney im not soe goode at inglese.

Comment

Thankes!!

Comment

Originally posted by RichardS View Post
                      Oddly enough; Patton's protege (Walton Walker) also died in a jeep accident that collided with a truck in Korea. Talk about emulating your hero!!
                      Or maybe it was a conspiracy! Was it the Jews and Freemasons or was it the Communists? Perhaps an early version of the Vast Rightwing Conspiracy? Maybe Truman had him whacked to secure his hold on the presidency?

Nah. That's all crap. It was a car wreck, pure and simple.
                      Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
                      Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
                      http://www.mormon.org
                      http://www.sca.org
                      http://www.scv.org/
                      http://www.scouting.org/

Comment

Originally posted by Janos View Post
                        Or maybe it was a conspiracy! Was it the Jews and Freemasons or was it the Communists? Perhaps an early version of the Vast Rightwing Conspiracy? Maybe Truman had him whacked to secure his hold on the presidency?

Nah. That's all crap. It was a car wreck, pure and simple.

You should pass your wisdom on to that inquiry into Diana's death, which was TEN years ago!

Comment

Originally posted by K_B View Post
                          You should pass your wisdom on to that inquiry into Diana's death, which was TEN years ago!
                          Good idea! I'll call the French Police today.
                          Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
                          Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
                          http://www.mormon.org
                          http://www.sca.org
                          http://www.scv.org/
                          http://www.scouting.org/

Comment

Originally posted by Lweber1978 View Post
                            On December 9, 1945, in Germany a day before he was due to return to the United States, Patton was severely injured in a road accident. He and his chief of staff, Major General Hobart R. "Hap" Gay, were on a daytrip to hunt pheasants in the country outside Mannheim. Their 1939 Cadillac Model 75 was driven by PFC Horace Woodring (1926 - 2003). Patton sat in the back seat, on the right with General Gay on his left, as per custom. At 11:45 near Neckarstadt, (Käfertal), a 2˝ ton truck driven by T/5 Robert L. Thompson appeared out of the haze and made a left-hand turn towards a side road. The Cadillac smashed into the truck. General Patton was thrown forward and his head struck a metal part of the partition between the front and back seats. Gay and Woodring were uninjured. Paralyzed from the neck down, George Patton died of an embolism on December 21, 1945 at the military hospital in Heidelberg, Germany with his wife present.

Patton's grave in LuxembourgPatton was buried at the Luxembourg American Cemetery and Memorial in Hamm, Luxembourg along with other members of the Third Army[8]. On March 19, 1947, his body was moved from the original grave site in the cemetery to its current prominent location at the head of his former troops. A cenotaph was placed at the Wilson-Patton family plot at the San Gabriel Cemetery in San Gabriel, California, adjacent to the Church of Our Saviour (Episcopal), where Patton was baptized and confirmed. In the narthex of the sanctuary of the church is a stained glass window honor which features, among other highlights of Patton's career, a picture of him riding in a tank. A statue of General Patton is between the church and the family plot. Patton's car was repaired and used by other officers. The car is now on display, with other Patton artifacts, at the General George Patton Museum at Fort Knox, Kentucky.
                            Patton wanted to die in the last battle at the last minute when victory was imminent.....

it would have been Berlin if Eisenhower had give the a-okay sign and let him go!

Comment

Originally posted by Conlin View Post
                              Patton wanted to die in the last battle at the last minute when victory was imminent.....

it would have been Berlin if Eisenhower had give the a-okay sign and let him go!
                              The US could never handle the casualties that would've been incurred fighting in Berlin.
                              If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X