Favorite SS Division Commander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite SS Division Commander

Does anyone have a favorite SS division commander? Not necessarily the guy you'd like to have over for tea, but one that intrigues you and makes you want to learn more about him?

For me its Oskar Dirlewanger.

Just the idea that anyone would let him wear a uniform, let alone lead troops in combat, as a rapist and child-molester, sickens me. I guess I have some fascination with the morbid and that's why I think he's interesting.

Bio at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oskar_Dirlewanger

OK, that's a bad start -- does anybody else have one?
    Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
    Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
    http://www.mormon.org
    http://www.sca.org
    http://www.scv.org/
    http://www.scouting.org/

Gotta be honest my favourite ss division commanders tend to be the dead ones who popped their clogs pre 1945.

Comment

Not sure that's the best thread you ever started Jeff.

Comment

I was always 'intrigued' by Model, The Lion of Defense. Peiper's attack at the
        Bulge was also very interesting to me too.
        SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

Originally posted by dgfred View Post
          I was always 'intrigued' by Model, The Lion of Defense. Peiper's attack at the
          Bulge was also very interesting to me too.
          Fred, Model was not in the Waffen-SS, as for Peiper, I don't think he ever commanded a Division

Comment

Originally posted by Boonierat View Post
            Fred, Model was not in the Waffen-SS, as for Peiper, I don't think he ever commanded a Division
            Well Model was pure Nazi/I don't know of his SS status. I believe Peiper
            was a commander in Russia, not sure about the division part. Either way they are some of the most interesting ones to me.

Comment

Model was regular German army not SS.

Side question, did any SS commanders make Field Marshal rank or the SS equivalant?
              Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Thanks for straightening me out Bob .

Comment

Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
                  Side question, did any SS commanders make Field Marshal rank or the SS equivalant?
                  The SS didn't have any equivalent to Field Marshall, if you except the rank of Reichsführer-SS held only by Heinrich Himmler.

Comment

Well; I can't say I have a favorite, but one I hate esp. was Theodor Eicke.
                    Baaaaad man, Really bad man.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theodor_Eicke
                    Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Well, I guess Kurt "Panzer" Meyer is less objectionable than most.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurt_Me...Panzermeyer%29

But still I'm not very fond of the SS at all.
                      Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Originally posted by copenhagen View Post
                        Gotta be honest my favourite ss division commanders tend to be the dead ones who popped their clogs pre 1945.
                        To steal a line, the only good SS commander is a dead SS commander.
                        If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

Originally posted by dgfred View Post
                          Thanks for straightening me out Bob .
                          No problem. It is easy to see Model as SS seeing as how he toed the Nazi party line without question.

Comment

The Skeleton Key..

Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
                            Model was regular German army not SS.

Actually, I believe Sepp "Pappa" Dietrich held the highest command outside of Himmler. His was the 6th SS Army. I don't think anyone mentioned Paul Hausser or Felix Steiner, yet.

There were a number of Nazis in the Army. I think Austrian Julius Ringel was one of the better known ones. They seemed to have a leg up in promotions after reaching a certain rank.

Pruitt
                            Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
                              Actually, I believe Sepp "Pappa" Dietrich held the highest command outside of Himmler. His was the 6th SS Army. I don't think anyone mentioned Paul Hausser or Felix Steiner, yet.

There were a number of Nazis in the Army. I think Austrian Julius Ringel was one of the better known ones. They seemed to have a leg up in promotions after reaching a certain rank.

Pruitt
                              I looked at Hausser and his highest SS rank was Oberstgruppenfurher. That sounds like an army group commander. Would that be an SS equal rank to Field Marshal?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                                Berlin.1945
                                by casanova
                                The Sowjet T-34 tank against a German Tiger tank in Berlin in the II World War in 1945. ...
                                Yesterday, 23:41
                              • casanova
                                AW 169M
                                by casanova
                                The Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner declared the buy of 18 Italian military helicopters of the type AW 169M for the Austrian army, the Bundesheer....
                                Yesterday, 23:26
                              • JBark
                                What changed?
                                by JBark
                                There was a time not too long ago when this forum was full of discussion, multiple posts, votes and involved discussions on the best of the war, etc.,...
                                Yesterday, 18:54
                              Working...
                              X