• They certainly were a rare breed....

The long toll of the brave
    Is not lost in darkness
    Over the fruitful earth
    And athwart the seas
    Hath passed the light of noble deeds
    Unquenchable forever.

Hello Von...

Just reading Thiele's 'bio', halfway down the page, I said to myself, "Gee, this man sounds like another Guy Gibson."

Surprise surprise, he was offered command of 617 Sqn, and turned it down!

A promotional 'jump' from Flt Lt. to Squadron commander in one leap is a very big leap. Do we know of any other officers promoted so far so quickley? That fact might be unique.

I always thought Leonard Cheshire was the 'first choice' after Gibson for command of 617. I thought wrong.

But, maybe it was for the best. Cheshire turned out to be the perfect commander for that group of individualists.

In any case, RIP Mr.Thiele. Another of that amazing Bomber command group gone forever.

Truly, an amazing generation of people.
    My Articles, ALMOST LIVE, exclusive to The Armchair!

Soviet Submarines in WW2....The Mythology of Shiloh....(Edited) Both Sides of the Warsaw Ghetto
    GULAG Glossary....Who Really Killed The Red Baron?....Pearl Harbor At 75
    Lincoln-Douglas Debates

Comment

I agree.... they broke the mold.

Comment

Yes, kudos to Von Richter. Educational, humbling, yet enjoyable. Nice to see that the world once produced such men. I'm sure it still can, but at least they have a worthy model.
        dit: Lirelou

Phong trần mi một lưỡi gươm, Những loi gi o ti cơm s g!

Comment

Originally posted by Drusus Nero View Post
          Hello Von...

Just reading Thiele's 'bio', halfway down the page, I said to myself, "Gee, this man sounds like another Guy Gibson."

Surprise surprise, he was offered command of 617 Sqn, and turned it down!

A promotional 'jump' from Flt Lt. to Squadron commander in one leap is a very big leap. Do we know of any other officers promoted so far so quickley? That fact might be unique.

I always thought Leonard Cheshire was the 'first choice' after Gibson for command of 617. I thought wrong.

But, maybe it was for the best. Cheshire turned out to be the perfect commander for that group of individualists.

In any case, RIP Mr.Thiele. Another of that amazing Bomber command group gone forever.

Truly, an amazing generation of people.
          Eisenhower, from a newly promoted Col in 1940 to a 5 Star General in Dec 44.
          "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

youre entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Hardly - RAF officer ranks

Pilot Officer = 2nd Lt
            Flying Officer = Lt
            Flight Lt = Captain
            Sq Leader = Major
            Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
            Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
              Eisenhower, from a newly promoted Col in 1940 to a 5 Star General in Dec 44.
              Beat me to it. I used to love bringing that point up to the ROTC kids at Purdue. Jawdrop moment for them.

(BTW, I had fun as retired CPO taking the NROTC "Naval History" class. )
              Hyperwar: World War II on the World Wide Web
              Hyperwar, Whats New
              World War II Resources
              The best place in the world to "work".

Comment

Don't you agree, though, that in retrospect, Eisenhower was a great choice for supreme commander?

He made a great soldier president as well, a fine "Father Figure" in the spirit of Lincoln and FDR.

According to Clay Blair, Eisenhower and Patton were writing groundbreaking papers on armoured warfare that predated anything Guderian had done, in the late 1920s.

Sorry, off topic. I should, rightly, be talking about Mr. Thiele and his Bomber command exploits.
                My Articles, ALMOST LIVE, exclusive to The Armchair!

Soviet Submarines in WW2....The Mythology of Shiloh....(Edited) Both Sides of the Warsaw Ghetto
                GULAG Glossary....Who Really Killed The Red Baron?....Pearl Harbor At 75
                Lincoln-Douglas Debates

Comment

A promotional 'jump' from Flt Lt. to Squadron commander in one leap is a very big leap.
                  Mark V is right, that wouldn't be a jump-one-rank promotion.

But there is such a promotion in the resume of this exceptional officer, it's just that you read too quickly:

"His obvious leadership qualities were soon recognised and he was promoted directly from flying officer to squadron leader."

The rank he jumped was exactly the one you mention, Flight Lt., which comes after Flying Officer and before Squadron Leader.
                  Michele

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X