Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First (?) US POW in Europe

Hi

On November 23rd 1941 Major Michael Buckley was captured whilst part of a US Observation group that was looking at
    the British Army as a whole during the Crusader offensive in Africa and the debut of the M3 tank onto the battlefield.

Given the US's neutrality at this stage of the war, was Buckley treated as a POW and what happened to him once he was
    captured and later in life?

Regards

Andy H
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." Churchill

"I'm no reactionary.Christ on the Mountain! I'm as idealistic as Hell" Eisenhower

Sarasota Herald tribune article announcing his capture with picture:
    Sarasota Herald Tribune

Michael Buckley obituary:
    Col. Michael Buckley Jr.

Comment

Hi

Thank you.

He lived a long a fruitful live

Regards

Andy H
      "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." Churchill

"I'm no reactionary.Christ on the Mountain! I'm as idealistic as Hell" Eisenhower

Comment

Need to amend thread title - first US POW during WW2 there were certainly some in WW1
        Plenty of US citizens were serving in British Commonwealth forces before the US was pushed into the war, a number were pretending to be Canadians and I suspect would continue to do so if captured. Where any RAF Eagle Squadron shot down over France and taken prisoner?
        Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
        Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
          Need to amend thread title - first US POW during WW2 there were certainly some in WW1
          Plenty of US citizens were serving in British Commonwealth forces before the US was pushed into the war, a number were pretending to be Canadians and I suspect would continue to do so if captured. Where any RAF Eagle Squadron shot down over France and taken prisoner?
          Hi Mark

I did post this in the WW2 section so I thought it a given

Regards

Andy H

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
            Not so much "pretending" to be Canadians- many US citizens signed up with the CEF during WW I and the idealistic ones who felt strongly about facism (or were wanting adventure) signed up in WW 2. IIRC there were significant #'s of US citizens who served in Bomber Command and chose to stay with their squadrons for the duration while others joined the USAAF or went into training command positions.

The WW I combat memoir "Generals Die In Bed" was penned by an American serving in the CEF.

All told there were 9000 US citizens fighting with commonwealth forces with 840 killed in Bomber Command alone. Significant numbers to be sure. They became known as "gun jumpers".

Generally it was "winked at" when US citizens crossed the border to sign up. They weren't supposed to by US law but in general immigration law was not enforced as it is now. Growing up in BC in the 60's and 70's I knew plenty of US citizens (draft dodgers and non-draft dodgers) in my hometown and met quite a few Canadians living in Washington State who were undocumented. This was in the 80s.

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/20...a_in_wwii.html
            Last edited by ChazB; 18 Jan 16, 20:04.

Comment

Originally posted by ChazB View Post
              Not so much "pretending" to be Canadians- many US citizens signed up with the CEF during WW I and the idealistic ones who felt strongly about facism (or were wanting adventure) signed up in WW 2. IIRC there were significant #'s of US citizens who served in Bomber Command and chose to stay with their squadrons for the duration while others joined the USAAF or went into training command positions.

The WW I combat memoir "Generals Die In Bed" was penned by an American serving in the CEF.

All told there were 9000 US citizens fighting with commonwealth forces with 840 killed in Bomber Command alone. Significant numbers to be sure. They became known as "gun jumpers".

Generally it was "winked at" when US citizens crossed the border to sign up. They weren't supposed to by US law but in general immigration law was not enforced as it is now. Growing up in BC in the 60's and 70's I knew plenty of US citizens (draft dodgers and non-draft dodgers) in my hometown and met quite a few Canadians living in Washington State who were undocumented. This was in the 80s.

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/20...a_in_wwii.html
              The Canadians changed the wording of the oath at attestation so that US citizens did not have to pledge allegiance to the Crown. There was a campaign by some isolationists in Congress to have the legislation enforced so that those who had signed up with the Canadians would loose their US citizenship so numbers did indeed conceal their US origins. It was the Canadians who did the winking.
              Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
              Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

That's interesting. Thanks for that.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X