The iconic American...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The iconic American...

I'd always known Jimmy Stuart was the right sort. Since I read this he's gone up even further in my estimation. The Dook has become the on screen legend of the iconic American. In my 'umble opinion Jimmy Stuart personifies the real thing...

The long toll of the brave
    Is not lost in darkness
    Over the fruitful earth
    And athwart the seas
    Hath passed the light of noble deeds
    Unquenchable forever.

One of the best actors that have ever made a movie. The best, by far, when it comes to westerns. Some times a dirty hat and clothes, boots not so clean and once in a while needing a shave. Never changed his scarf ten times in a film, showed fear and hate as well as love. IF Wayne is the Duke then Jimmy is Empire Rex. Don't get me started on the difference in military service. Did Jimmy ever play in a war movie other than one on the fringes of the ACW?

Oh, I'm a FAN of Gen Stewart
    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

This book does a good job of covering Stewart's wartime service. The author served with Stewart in WW2.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
        One of the best actors that have ever made a movie. The best, by far, when it comes to westerns. Some times a dirty hat and clothes, boots not so clean and once in a while needing a shave. Never changed his scarf ten times in a film, showed fear and hate as well as love. IF Wayne is the Duke then Jimmy is Empire Rex. Don't get me started on the difference in military service. Did Jimmy ever play in a war movie other than one on the fringes of the ACW?

Not really a war movie, but he did play the lead in "Strategic Air Command". The man had a lot of class in his movies as well as in real life.
        If there are no dogs in Heaven, then I want to go where they went when they died-Will Rogers

Comment

My favorite line from Jimmy Stewart was never captured on screen or tape, but came after Brig Gen Stewart earned his Mach 2 Pin in a B-58 Hustler, after the climbout on afterburner he stated 'That ain't a plane, its a god damn missile!"

Just found this

Last edited by Chukka; 30 Dec 15, 18:35.
          One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions - Admiral Grace Hopper

"The eunuch should not take pride in his chastity."
          Wu Cheng'en Monkey

Comment

id Jimmy ever play in a war movie other than one on the fringes of the ACW?

I always liked "Shenandoah" . Saw it again recently with my with and she enjoyed it also.

I always thought of John Wayne as a caricature, and Jimmy Stewart as fully human.
            "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" Beatrice Evelyn Hall
            Updated for the 21st century... except if you are criticizing islam, that scares the $hii+e out of me!

Comment

Originally posted by Von Richter View Post

I'd always known Jimmy Stuart was the right sort. Since I read this he's gone up even further in my estimation. The Dook has become the on screen legend of the iconic American. In my 'umble opinion Jimmy Stuart personifies the real thing...

I love his companion too, those gorgeous flowing chestnut locks, perfect figure and loving eyes. And the girl isn't bad either.
              One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions - Admiral Grace Hopper

Wu Cheng'en Monkey

Comment

Only one that I know of for sure. He avoided them because he didn't like how unrealistic they were.
                ... give that man a cigar.

The one I am thinking of-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mountain_Road

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
                  Only one that I know of for sure. He avoided them because he didn't like how unrealistic they were.
                  ... give that man a cigar.

The one I am thinking of-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mountain_Road
                  Fan that I am, I have never seen that film. Thanks Exo.
                  "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by CarpeDiem View Post

This book does a good job of covering Stewart's wartime service. The author served with Stewart in WW2.
                    Spoke to his Operations Officer, legendary stuff.
                    My worst jump story:
                    My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
                    As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
                    No lie.

~
                    "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
                    -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
                      Spoke to his Operations Officer, legendary stuff.
                      I own that one too!

Wu Cheng'en Monkey

Comment

One more for consideration, ...

Fan that I am, I have never seen that film. Thanks Exo.
                        ... "Malaya", released in Europe as "East of the Rising Sun", with Spencer Tracy & John Hodiak. It's more WWII behind enemy lines daring-do & smuggling than stand-up combat.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0041622

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malaya_(film)

"I am Groot"
                        - Groot

Comment

Originally posted by 17thfabn View Post
                          I always liked "Shenandoah" . Saw it again recently with my with and she enjoyed it also.

I always thought of John Wayne as a caricature, and Jimmy Stewart as fully human.
                          Quite ,Jimmy Stewart always came across as thoroughly likeable, an iconic American indeed.
                          "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
                          Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Originally posted by BELGRAVE View Post
                            Quite ,Jimmy Stewart always came across as thoroughly likeable, an iconic American indeed.
                            "John Wayne never played anybody but John Wayne." Mr. Stewart was an actor.
                            Hyperwar: World War II on the World Wide Web
                            Hyperwar, Whats New
                            World War II Resources
                            The best place in the world to "work".

Comment

Originally posted by Von Richter View Post

He also was not ' Too Busy' when his Country needed him.!! lcm1
                              'By Horse by Tram'.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
                              " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X