Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The most decorated unit in US Army History...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The most decorated unit in US Army History...

Anyone know if it is true that the Japanese American 442nd RCT is the most decorated US army unit of it's type in Army History?

I know that they made a movie of it but I don't know the title and stars in it. Can anyone help me, pls??????
    "To know the weapons the enemy has is already to beat them!"

http://www.anft.net/f-14/f14-photo-vf213-01l.jpg

The 442 Regimental Combat Team

To my knowledge it is the most decorated U.S. Army unit....period.

The movie you're talking about is called "Go For Broke" which was the motto of the Nisei (Japanese Americans) Regiment. One star in the movie is Van Johnson.

Go For Broke

History of 442nd RCT

Hope this helps

dog

Comment

Something else for you to see about the 442nd

Just thought you should read this as well.

Congressional Record of Casualties

It says alot about a person to fight this hard for someone he doesn't even know.....and for a country that has interred your family.

Hats off to the Nisei

dog

Comment

Re: Something else for you to see about the 442nd

Originally posted by moondog
        Just thought you should read this as well.

Congressional Record of Casualties

It says alot about a person to fight this hard for someone he doesn't even know.....and for a country that has interred your family.

Hats off to the Nisei

dog
        Thanx Moondog, and my hats off to the Nisei as well. We need that type of unit in Iraq and Afghanistan, I think.

Comment

Check out U.S. Senator Daniel Inokuye (I might pronounced his last name wrong) of Hawaii. He won the CMH as a platoon leader with the 442d.:thumb:
          VonMoltke

Comment

God, this guys a legend!!! Thanx Felix!

Comment

Whenever there is a group of people with something to prove, they do extraordinary things and usually it goes unnoticed. (The Tuskegee Airmen, the 442nd RCT, the All-Black Regiment in Italy (I don't know the number though I know they weren't put into combat until they were forced to and the Regiment did outstanding.), the WAACS (The ones who did aerial photo's and such, still flying over enemy territory and probably being shot at), and many, many others.
              The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte

Comment

Re: The most decorated unit in US Army History...

Originally posted by hellodoggie
                Anyone know if it is true that the Japanese American 442nd RCT is the most decorated US army unit of it's type in Army History?

I know that they made a movie of it but I don't know the title and stars in it. Can anyone help me, pls??????
                Absolutely and every decoration was very well deserved. Rather ironic, considering that most or all of their families were in internment camps back in America. Great 'thank you' for their service wasn't it? In my view, ranks right up there with slavery.
                Mens Est Clavis Victoriae
                (The Mind Is The Key To Victory)

Comment

Re: Re: The most decorated unit in US Army History...

Originally posted by hogdriver
                  Absolutely and every decoration was very well deserved. Rather ironic, considering that most or all of their families were in internment camps back in America. Great 'thank you' for their service wasn't it? In my view, ranks right up there with slavery.
                  I remember the issue of Filipino's who served the US who were promised citizenship and settlement in the states. After the war they were completely forgotten. The most damning example was when a filipino WW2 veteran and campaigner finally died of old age after waiting for so long to be given the US citizenship promised to him. When he died the government decided to make him a US citizen, not that it was any use for him and his family.

A friend of mine's grandfather was owed backpay from the US government for service with the US Army. They didn't pay it, even after he died. When my friend went to ask why he was called a "money-grabbing monkey" and was told to leave the US Embassy in Manila.

Needless to sayhe is a very cynical and bitter man when it comes to the USA, which is sad.

Comment

Re: The most decorated unit in US Army History...

Originally posted by hellodoggie

The movie is one of my favorites, Go For Broke (the motto of the regiment) and what is now the 100/440 Inf HIARNG, is the most decorated unit in US military history, as you stated.

JS
                    Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
                    Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
                    http://www.mormon.org
                    http://www.sca.org
                    http://www.scv.org/
                    http://www.scouting.org/

Comment

Re: Re: The most decorated unit in US Army History...

Originally posted by Janos
                      The movie is one of my favorites, Go For Broke (the motto of the regiment) and what is now the 100/440 Inf HIARNG, is the most decorated unit in US military history, as you stated.

JS
                      I have ordered a copy already, and with your glowing recommendation I await with heaps of anticipation and excitement. These guys are legends and hats off to them! :thumb: :bowdown:

Comment

Most of the 442nd/100th veterans are living in Southern California and Hawaii. I know of a couple dozen who attend my church. It is amazing how humble they all are. There are also a big group of intelligence guys (in SoCal) who deciphered the Japanese codes in the South Pacific.

The Senator from Hawaii was Daniel Inouye. He lost his arm during the war and got a silver star. I believe that it was being considered for upgrade to the CMH (if it hasn't already been done).

They fought in almos every major campaign in western Europe, and took very heavy casualties. They fought because they had something to prove to America...

My wife's relatives and family friends fought in the 442nd. They all a very tight knitted group to this very day.

Brad
                        "We will always remember. We will always be proud. We will always be prepared, so we may always be free."- Ronald Reagan at the D-Day Anniversary

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...7/fe0df62e.jpg

Comment

dredged up to be read later
                          Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

MOH Inouye 442nd

Originally posted by Viper 10 View Post
                            Most of the 442nd/100th veterans are living in Southern California and Hawaii. I know of a couple dozen who attend my church. It is amazing how humble they all are. There are also a big group of intelligence guys (in SoCal) who deciphered the Japanese codes in the South Pacific.

The Senator from Hawaii was Daniel Inouye. He lost his arm during the war and got a Silver Star. I believe that it was being considered for upgrade to the CMH (if it hasn't already been done).

They fought in almost every major campaign in western Europe, and took very heavy casualties. They fought because they had something to prove to America...

My wife's relatives and family friends fought in the 442nd. They all a very tight knitted group to this very day.

Brad

Japanese Americans Get Affirmative Action Medals Of Honor

William J. Hopwood, Commander USNR (Ret)
                            April 11, 2007

On June 21, 2000, in an impressive ceremony on the White House South Lawn, President Clinton awarded Medal of Honor upgrades to 22 Asian-American soldiers in World War II who had been awarded the Distinguished Service Cross for valor more than fifty years ago. All but seven of the awards were made posthumously. Twenty of those named had been members of the 100/442nd Regimental Combat Team, including Senator Daniel Inouye of Hawaii who was present at the ceremony to accept his Medal of Honor upgrade.

http://www.internmentarchives.com/sp...alofhonor1.php

17thAirborneSon

"The horizon is unlimited." Major General Matthew Ridgeway

Comment

To my knowledge it is the most decorated U.S. Army unit....period.

Most decorated for its size and length of service after Hawaii Senator Akaka introduced legislation in the 1990s and Bill Clinton started handing out medals and upgrades like candy canes to Japanese Americans against the advice of the Pentagon's head historian, many years and miles away from the battlefield in complete defiance of American military tradition...

Nisei vets were brave fighters, but they were the exception and not the rule and their record is becoming over-inflated since the 1988 reperations bill.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X